Honda Accord Coupe

Alan Prost

2 hours ago, J-T said:

I never really understood why these existed when they were just about still selling the Prelude at the time 

More comfortable and spacious as they are much bigger cars. Also you could get them with a V6.

I don't think there's much wrong with the autos on these, usually a fluid change keeps them happy. 
The selector cables do get stiff though, and they've become NLA recently. 

rust is the main one to look for, along with cambelt history and if the cat's been nicked. 

I had the 3.0 V6 version for a few years, nice comfortable and quick enough. Not a car to throw around the corners, more a cruiser. Very wide.

Gave about 25mpg pretty much regardless of use. Auto was a 4 speed which was fine apart from doing an odd thing of setting off in second gear by default and then dropping down to first if you straightened the wheels and accelerated out of a junction.

Generally reliable, cam belt was expensive as parts were around £500 including some kind of over built hydraulic tensioner. Alarm randomly went off and immobilizer was slightly temperamental.

Sold in 2011 and happy to see it's still going (V860 GDV). Insurance was no different to the 2.0 Saab 9-3ss that replaced it.

14 hours ago, Schaefft said:

Don't get one with an automatic transmission, its that one major thing that Honda didnt quite seem to get right for a long time. Aside from that only rust I would assume. Its a Honda, they are dead reliable cars, its just that most of them are neglected.

What's the problem with the autobox? (asking as one has come up in a deceased estate auction locally and thought I might lob a bid in).

20210510_115348.thumb.jpg.dd56c3c460082e68359fade9f51ea879.jpg

I had a v6 one . Lovely car but gearbox did have issues , same box as the prelude iirc and usually play up after 100k .

Unfortunately the v6 wasnt available as a manual so its either auto roulette or 2.0 manuals im afraid .

Lovely smooth car but a little bit dull if im honest. It was a car I always wanted when I worked at a Honda dealer but was a little disappointed with one when I got hold of it. It was a lovely example too and still on the road near me years later.

9 hours ago, holbeck said:

What's the problem with the autobox? (asking as one has come up in a deceased estate auction locally and thought I might lob a bid in).

20210510_115348.thumb.jpg.dd56c3c460082e68359fade9f51ea879.jpg

If its cheap jusrt go for it, I cannot imagine that anyone is going to bid more than a few hundred quid on it, which it will be worth in any case.

All my Hondamatic boxes were very good into high miles.  Pop up lights Aerodeck,  1.5lsi Civic, 2.2 non vtec Accord coupe and a 2ltre Prelude.  No auto probs at all and just dexron changes. Hondamatic boxes were designed from scratch, as all the patents were taken up for conventional designs.  The V6  Honda coupe was not a patch on my Xantia v6's