Rover 800 vitesse (well I better had)

montytom

On 5/11/2021 at 11:03 AM, mercedade said:

Yep, BRGย fastback. The bodywork was a curious mix of mint (the wings, doors etc) and the pretty poor (rear arches, rear strut mounts).

The lad I sold it to (an old family friend) drove it for a while, but it was too fast for him. Crashed it into a curb, bent a LOT of things, so he scrapped it. Got some cash for the seats, the engine and box, but not much else.ย 

What I wouldn't give for the two side by side and an afternoon with a socket set.

That's a shame, I still remember my dad a mint lada riva and finding out the person left the handbrake off and the car hit a tree writing it off.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:39 AM, WillCarter said:

I don't think there's many cars which have aged quite as well as the Fastback 800, such a lovely design. I nearly bought an 827 Sterling Fastback a few years ago, was such an impressive thing to drive but when I got to see it one side was painted nearly the same colour as the other and the electrics started to shit the bed while we were looking around it and subsequently locked us out. I'd got them down to ยฃ300 at that point and part of me wishes I'd just taken the hit on it but my senses told me that I was in for a whole world of pain with it though. Certainly didn't dampen my want for one though, just never been right place right time.

Thankyou I think they still look classy. You never know you may find one

On 5/11/2021 at 11:59 AM, JimH said:

I'd prefer an early one without the daft grille, fluted leather and horrid steering wheel but beggards can't be choosers. I suspect the Rover 800 was the last product which wore a Rover badge that was actually forward looking and as such it has aged very well.

Thanks I will agree to disagree me personally the facelift fastback suits it.

Just a shame now we have no real industry. I must admit I was gutted when rover went. I was 18 and looking to buy an MG zr. I still bought it.

ย 

23 hours ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Clucking Bell that is one nice motor. ย ย 

I drove a few of them back in the day in Vitesse form and they were so comfy with those Recaro's.

Thankyou the recaros as you say are comfy. Really hard but comfy at the same time a really well made seat.

15 hours ago, Spurious said:

If it's at the festival of the unexceptional, I do quite look forward to seeing this. Looking sharp ๐Ÿ˜‰

I will be there and the car should be aswell. The pictures do flatter it somewhat but it does come up well

3 hours ago, montytom said:

Thanks I will agree to disagree me personally the facelift fastback suits it.

Just a shame now we have no real industry. I must admit I was gutted when rover went. I was 18 and looking to buy an MG zr. I still bought it.

ย 

There is still real industry!ย 

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/

Back to topic, the first car I saw with electric REAR seats was a Rover 800 Sterling. Red with toffee leather interior. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

21 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

There is still real industry!ย 

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/

Back to topic, the first car I saw with electric REAR seats was a Rover 800 Sterling. Red with toffee leather interior. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

Thanks I agree regarding buses etc but I mean car manufacturers(british ones) just a shame we cannot keep anything.

Ive seen pictures of the rear seats of the early sterlings and they are very plush and full of gadgetry which I love.