Ambitious towbars

sdkrc

It certainly is, it says you can't fit black and silver plates to anything registered after 1.1.1980 so the above Reliant misses out by a mere 17 years. 

And regardless of the legalities they just look shit. Most cars that had black plates from new had raised digits. These pressed aluminium ones are the cheapest of the cheap and they look it. 

12 minutes ago, Yoss said:

It certainly is, it says you can't fit black and silver plates to anything registered after 1.1.1980 so the above Reliant misses out by a mere 17 years. 

And regardless of the legalities they just look shit. Most cars that had black plates from new had raised digits. These pressed aluminium ones are the cheapest of the cheap and they look it. 

It just jars me when I see a car that obviously wouldn't have had black and silver plates. I used to see a Ford Orion around here with them - it looked just wrong

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Most cars that had black plates from new had raised digits. These pressed aluminium ones are the cheapest of the cheap and they look it. 

its not just that either, plenty of cars came with pressed metal plates when new (anything fleet especially since pressed plates where cheaper then raised digit ones)

but these modern cheap £20 ones just so fucking naff, because the font and digit size is all wrong, everything about them is just wrong and rubs me completely the wrong way LOL

I always find it sad when I see a really nice vehicle but someones riveted a set of cheap plates to it, especially such when you know the vehicle still had set of nice original or period plates that have been binned off for said cheap and nasty plates

I guess because most people just want "Oooh look silver on black its old!"

I know its small potatoes in the scheme of things but it is one of those things that really make or break a vehicle for me

for example Stagecoach (or the garage crew at Bow/West ham) made sure their heritage route 15 Routemasters had properly done painted/transfer number plates

but First just slapped some cheap and nasty silver on black pressed jobbies on their RM's and its legitimately one of the reasons why I never rode on a heritage Route 9 RM LOL

anyways this is one of my soap boxes so I best shut up now LOL 

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

its not just that either, plenty of cars came with pressed metal plates when new (anything fleet especially since pressed plates where cheaper then raised digit ones)

but these modern cheap £20 ones just so fucking naff, because the font and digit size is all wrong, everything about them is just wrong and rubs me completely the wrong way LOL

I always find it sad when I see a really nice vehicle but someones riveted a set of cheap plates to it, especially such when you know the vehicle still had set of nice original or period plates that have been binned off for said cheap and nasty plates

I know its small potatoes in the scheme of things but it is one of those things that really make or break a vehicle for me

for example Stagecoach (or the garage crew at Bow/West ham) made sure their heritage route 15 Routemasters had properly done painted/transfer number plates

but First just slapped some cheap and nasty silver on black pressed jobbies on their RM's and its legitimately one of the reasons why I never rode on a heritage Route 9 RM LOL

I feel way too aggrieved when people fit post-2001 font plates to vee-hicles which are pre-2001. They look bloody awful.

38 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I guess because most people just want "Oooh look silver on black its old!"

It wasn't just the First bus ones, New Cross started putting them on their RMs on the 36s long before that. And for no good reason either, they just stuck them on top of the original transfer plates. That annoyed me too. I realise there were far worse things going on in the world, but little things like that annoy me, possibly* irrationally. 

3 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I feel way too aggrieved when people fit post-2001 font plates to vee-hicles which are pre-2001. They look bloody awful.

I can't tell to be honest.

I did however notice that the new Kia the boss bought yesterday still had a grey rear numberplate that read Picanto.  He hadn't, and he'd driven it quite some distance 😆

21 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

I can't tell to be honest.

I did however notice that the new Kia the boss bought yesterday still had a grey rear numberplate that read Picanto.  He hadn't, and he'd driven it quite some distance 😆

I hope you did the right thing and kept quiet 🤣