Ambitious towbars

sdkrc

I once moved a pile of soil and ruble in a very old livestock trailer towed with a borrowed 1.0 Nova. 

It pulled it the mile or so down the road fairly well. 

Stopping at the other end was not fun though. 

9 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Seemingly it was law for all cars in the DDR to have a towbar in case they needed to be commandeered in an invasion.. 

More like commandeered for an invasion; of western europe, trailing behind the 3rd Shock Army.

9 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Seemingly it was law for all cars in the DDR to have a towbar in case they needed to be commandeered in an invasion.. 

More like commandeered for an invasion; of western europe, trailing behind the 3rd Shock Army.

2 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Sadly I have no picture but I spotted a Perodua Kelisa wih a towbar last weekend and laughed all the way 

I've been searching high and low for a daihatsu 1.0 L251 towbar as it means a possible 940kg payload carrying capacity over and above me sat in the car, where for example a ford transit custom starts at 600kg ! (Admitted they tow a great deal more) 

No pictures I'm afraid but a customer of ours wanted a tow bar fitted to his Morris traveller.

Your not going to use it to tow your 4 berth caravan are you? Asked us.

No, just a small trailer said he.

2 weeks later, we had word that he had pulled the back tyres off the traveller whilst towing said caravan. Funny he didn't bring it to us for that to be fixed!

11 hours ago, eifion said:

I've just remembered that I found this picture of my 2CV from a few years before I owned it apparently being used to tow a baked potato trailer in Nuneaton town centre.

2cvtow.jpg

That's excellent! And from before they were fashionable.

Potatoes, I mean, obvs. Nuneatoners have always been fashionable

On 5/7/2021 at 11:25 PM, Richard_FM said:

I've seen a Citroen 2CV with a towbar.

I've also had a couple of 2CVs with a towbar, mostly used for carrying bicycles about (for those occasions when you don't feel like poking the bicycle out through the roof), and a small trailer for collecting firewood. Twigs mostly.

Also functions as an ideal rear parking sensor, and for hitting shins against at night when you forget it's there. 9/10. Would recommend.

I had one that, quite literally, worked (or didn't) the other way round. BFO NATO-spec multi level job, mounted on the back of an 8x4 grab tipper: full air and electrics, and 370bhp pulling it. Tow anything, right? Absolutely. Motor was plated for 41t GCW. Reversing, however...

The only two occasions I ever used it involved a hefty gen set, and a mini digger, both on twin axle trailers. Could I see either of them in the mirrors? Nope. And when they did put in an appearance during reversing, that only indicated they'd come too far round and I'd need to try again. Pretty sure I don't have a pic, as it was pre potato cam.

Don't have pics of the morning I spent hauling static caravans into the SECC with a LWB Frontera either. It coped admirably outside on tarmac, but inside on painted concrete, it needed three guys standing on the bullbar to achieve any marginal amount of steering!