Ambitious towbars

sdkrc

My Trabant was fitted with one, never used it.

A local down in West Wales made his own for his Renault 4. It consisted of bits of angle iron roughly welded together, bolted across the back and for added safety, bits that came around the side that were tack welded to the rear wings. It was only used for pulling his dinghy out of the water and up the slipway in Little Haven.

1 hour ago, Mally said:

I towed  a 6 x 4 x 2 camping trailer full to the brim . Using an 850 Mini, with home made tow bar.

From Rochdale to Great Yarmouth, and back. 

My uncle had a 1959 Mini which he'd fitted a towbar to.  He once used it to pull a 30' static caravan - it would apparently do 37 on the flat (max revs in second gear) but failed to climb a hill and burned out the clutch. 

11 minutes ago, Mally said:

I'm not having a 30 ft Caravan. The front wheels would be off the ground.

There is very little noseweight on a static. I used to site them with my Kia Sorento .The wheels are right at the balance point so depending , it could lift the back wheels off the ground!

4 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

There is very little noseweight on a static. I used to site them with my Kia Sorento .The wheels are right at the balance point so depending , it could lift the back wheels off the ground!

Ok then, Back wheels off the ground equals jackknife at the first bend.