Do you ever feel tied in?

montytom

As above do you ever buy something and then because you know you'll never get back the money you feel tied into keeping it?

I'm feeling that way about my mk2 focus st. I bought it for £3600 and have put another £4400 into it taking it to £8000.

To me though it seems like a one trick pony it's a very quick car having had it tuned to stage 2 spec running 310bhp and 370ft lb of torque.but that's it. I'm not finding it enjoyable. 

I bought it as people my age seem to buy these things.

I dont want the car anymore I'd rather be happier with a £500 car but even if I tried selling it I doubt I'd get more than £3000 for it. 

As said have you ever bought a car regretted it and then felt tied to it.

Maybe I should put it up kn here for a swap with something interesting.

Sorry for the post just needed it off my chest

20200418_114403.jpg

1 minute ago, montytom said:

and have put another £4400

I can't say I've ever done that.

I reckon I'm probably only keeping the 206 over the SAAB because I had a cambelt put on it last year.  It's lots more fun but I probably do need a more spacious car.  

Can you sell some of the mods and/or make it handle instead of just raw power? Sounds like you've just gone too big?

3 minutes ago, loserone said:

I can't say I've ever done that.

I reckon I'm probably only keeping the 206 over the SAAB because I had a cambelt put on it last year.  It's lots more fun but I probably do need a more spacious car.  

Can you sell some of the mods and/or make it handle instead of just raw power? Sounds like you've just gone too big?

Thanks I had some money spare and always wanted a popular car but realised it isnt me. I cannot really take the modifications off due to the car being remapped with the modifications in place. 

I just seem to remember I have had more fun with cheaper cars.

Think of it as a 3 grand car and you’ve spent four and a half on a hobby, or a holiday that’s lasted for months.

Don’t feel bad about liking something different either, when you’ve shagged every model on the catwalk you might just fancy the woman who works in Costa.

Just go with it, although try not to bankrupt yourself in future 

Edited by garethj

If you put it up for sale with a list of everything done then it’s possible you could get a lot more, nothing says it has to go for £3k (but equally no guarantee it will sell for more). It will cost you more if you keep it and you may resent that more.

Just now, garethj said:

Think of it as a 3 grand car and you’ve spent four and a half on a hobby, or a holiday that’s lasted for months.

Thanks I agree I will maybe list it somewhen at £3000. 

I know you never make money selling but as I have never really had anything expensive it's a hard pill to swallow

Just now, Tamworthbay said:

If you put it up for sale with a list of everything done then it’s possible you could get a lot more, nothing says it has to go for £3k (but equally no guarantee it will sell for more). It will cost you more if you keep it and you may resent that more.

Thankyou I think I will do that. I'm just rubbish with things like this hence me giving the last 2 cars away on here as I dont like dealing with idiots 

I baulk at spending more than 3k on a car. We've got to the point where we ideally want to replace the family E91 with a newer version. Budget would need to be 6k+ ideally though to find something which shouldn't need much spending on it for a good few years. We haven't bothered for now though as things are tight due to my job situation and we're already getting through savings. Plus we're tight. 

Maybe we just need to by TheDoc's Suzuki Baleno and be done with it 🤪

Unfortunately that's the unnecessary* car modification game. 

Don't be too hard on yourself or the car. 

Ultimately it's only money and it's not actually a massive amount, in my younger days I'd piss 8 grand up a wall quite easily in a year.

You'll still have a decent return on the car of a few quid anyway. 

You could also sell it to me or possibly swap it for my mk9 civic 2.2 diesel. 😉

Just now, montytom said:

Thankyou I think I will do that. I'm just rubbish with things like this hence me giving the last 2 cars away on here as I dont like dealing with idiots 

You have nothing to lose, you will get morons, but hopefully you will get a proper enthusiast as well.

Is it reasonably effortless with the power?, i imagine something like a theoretical 310bhp Vauxhall Chevette would have an unpredictable potential cataclysm of a wide open throttle with jeopardy arriving variably depending on the road conditions where comparitively the focus is maybe accurate and repeatable in its behaviour 

I know it's generally accepted on here that all modifications devalue a car but I'm not certain that would be the case with this.  Everyone who owns one wants to modify it so while I can be certain you won't get the 4.5k back you might find it's worth more than 3k to the right person.  Just try not to laugh at their face tattoo 😂

Bloody hell that’d be a beast of a car for £3 grand, I had a go in my mates 300 plus hp Golf R a few times and it felt sportsbike quick. 

Can you afford to park it up for a bit and buy some shite, just to get it out of your system? 

I do wonder if a cheap old car you can enjoy without worrying about it would be suitable my current shed is in a good mechanical state but I never worry about mechanical damage wear and tear or racking up the miles which is very liberating.

12 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I baulk at spending more than 3k on a car. We've got to the point where we ideally want to replace the family E91 with a newer version. Budget would need to be 6k+ ideally though to find something which shouldn't need much spending on it for a good few years. We haven't bothered for now though as things are tight due to my job situation and we're already getting through savings. Plus we're tight. 

Maybe we just need to by TheDoc's Suzuki Baleno and be done with it 🤪

Thanks I find I have more fun in shite than this. 

I was on flexi furlough so not earning as much(I cannot complain as their are more people worse off than I am)

Just seeing it there costing money irks me. 

Maybe I'll feel different when October comes and many of my previous debts are cleared. And i can spend money on other things aswell.

I hope when you are able to you will get something suitable

I like those Focus STs but they can’t now be far off the bottom of their depreciation curve, which means that the remaining examples which haven’t yet been crashed or stolen are going to be more valuable in parts before too long - unless they’re in mint standard condition. 

It’s the standard fast Ford routine - their numbers really thin out around 15 to 20 years old, then after that there’s hardly any left and everybody wants one again, hence £££££.  My XR2 eventually made money for me that way, but it was 24 years old when I bought it and 34 when I sold it!

16 minutes ago, Agila said:

Unfortunately that's the unnecessary* car modification game. 

Don't be too hard on yourself or the car. 

Ultimately it's only money and it's not actually a massive amount, in my younger days I'd piss 8 grand up a wall quite easily in a year.

You'll still have a decent return on the car of a few quid anyway. 

You could also sell it to me or possibly swap it for my mk9 civic 2.2 diesel. 😉

Thanks I agree I knew I'd never get the money back but for me £8000 in total is alot and i thought it would be something i would keep along time but i keep looking at other things. 

I've never really had money before so it was just alot of money to spend. 

17 minutes ago, Jikovron said:

Is it reasonably effortless with the power?, i imagine something like a theoretical 310bhp Vauxhall Chevette would have an unpredictable potential cataclysm of a wide open throttle with jeopardy arriving variably depending on the road conditions where comparitively the focus is maybe accurate and repeatable in its behaviour 

The power comes on really strong in third but 1st and second are pretty much useless and the driveshafts are a common weak point on these and the strongest ones are the genuine ford items

17 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

I know it's generally accepted on here that all modifications devalue a car but I'm not certain that would be the case with this.  Everyone who owns one wants to modify it so while I can be certain you won't get the 4.5k back you might find it's worth more than 3k to the right person.  Just try not to laugh at their face tattoo 😂

Thankyou I agree and I also agree with your tattoo statement these cars seem to attract those tattoos people. Me I'd be happy with my flat cap driving my old rover 800 vitesse around.

18 minutes ago, bigfella2 said:

Just keep hold of it and keep it in decent condition, and with it being a performance ford you will eventually get your money back.

Thankyou my father keeps telling me to hold onto it and dont make a rash decision but I'm quite impulsive unfortunately 

14 minutes ago, warch said:

Bloody hell that’d be a beast of a car for £3 grand, I had a go in my mates 300 plus hp Golf R a few times and it felt sportsbike quick. 

Can you afford to park it up for a bit and buy some shite, just to get it out of your system? 

I do wonder if a cheap old car you can enjoy without worrying about it would be suitable my current shed is in a good mechanical state but I never worry about mechanical damage wear and tear or racking up the miles which is very liberating.

Thanks it's very impressive in gear as it has so much torque. My father told me to wait and keep it on the drive until I feel differently about it

10 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

I like those Focus STs but they can’t now be far off the bottom of their depreciation curve, which means that the remaining examples which haven’t yet been crashed or stolen are going to be more valuable in parts before too long - unless they’re in mint standard condition. 

It’s the standard fast Ford routine - their numbers really thin out around 15 to 20 years old, then after that there’s hardly any left and everybody wants one again, hence £££££.  My XR2 eventually made money for me that way, but it was 24 years old when I bought it and 34 when I sold it!

Thankyou I think as you say they have hit the bottom. They are a good car to be honest and it's fun on the odd occasion I drive it but seeing it sat there most of the week makes me feel like it's a waste

Just now, montytom said:

Thanks I agree I knew I'd never get the money back but for me £8000 in total is alot and i thought it would be something i would keep along time but i keep looking at other things. 

I've never really had money before so it was just alot of money to spend. 

I can definitely understand that then. It sounds like you really know the answer, I think most of us have done it at some point.

I did it with an mr2 but not as big numbers, bought for £2600, owned for 2.5 years and sold for £1800 but I did spend a significant amount on it.

Personally I would sell it and forget about it. Remember the good times with the focus and look forward to the next car. No need to sell unless you are sure though.

There is no right or wrong answer, nobody's opinion really matters it's just all about how you "feel"

Feelings are funny things, especially about cars. Try and go with your heart over head on this one.

Good luck either way.

I'm sort of there with the Cinquecento. But in the time it's been sitting, the values of them have shot up, so i'm not really too badly off now. I'd recover about 70-80% of my spend on the car itself if i sold with a years MOT on, which i aim to do over the summer.

Biggest issue there is nobody would buy it.

It's a niche item and location is a huge problem. Last offer i got when i placed a half hearted for sale ad was £400. One of those 'because i need to come from Liverpool' jobs.

Sometimes, you just need to accept that it's money gone (hopefully) on your own enjoyment and write it off as that. It doesn't matter if you sell something or don't, you still won't see it back unless you play the waiting game......and you'll definitely be throwing more money at it between now and then, either in maintenance, repairs or storage, so even that could be a false economy.