Does AS have a resident Citroen SM? If not, it does now!

richykitchy

10 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Brodie's has accumulated countless shelves full of parts reclaimed from SMs they have dismantled over the decades. They could probably build most of one from what they have. I had to walk past those shelves to get to the office on my one and only visit there.

There are other parts sources over the Channel. Here's one.

OK I see.

One I spotted in France in July 18. What was remarkable about this was it was in what appeared to  everyday use - quite tatty and parked casually at the side of the road in N. France. 

Department 34 puts it as a S. of France registration which may explain the degraded paintwork - I photographed it in the north in Picardy. 

Was just as scruffy inside including some DIY materials in the back!

Screenshot_20210430-115048.jpg

Screenshot_20210430-115040.jpg

Screenshot_20210430-115056.jpg

59 minutes ago, angle said:

See also the one parked up in a central London side street that I used to walk past every day on the way to the office, alongside a revolving selection of other Citroens, including a DS break full of builders materials.....

That is probably the best-known street south of the river in Citroën circles. I'm guessing the owner's not particularly worried about ULEZ or the choice* of future Mayor....

14 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That is probably the best-known street south of the river in Citroën circles. I'm guessing the owner's not particularly worried about ULEZ or the choice* of future Mayor....

If one’s house is worth several million £, very few things are worth worrying about,

Thinking back to my time in the Sm- we went up to the Citroen national at gaydon from isleworth.  It was simultaneously fantastic and terrifying. I remember the sat nav saying “keep right” as we passed junction 4 on the m40 at an indicated 90mph. GPS on the sat nav was a fair bit lower! It’s one of those cars that I am immensely grateful exist, but have No wish to have to pay to own.

Another one who witnessed the escapade emerging with Jonny on Twitter, via the competition* win. Well kept on your promise, you lunatic!

+1 on keeping the US spec front end, I'd not realised that they'd been exported to the States either, so would propose keeping them as is.

If by any chance you want/need an internet stranger who happens to be up t'A3 to stand around and suck air in through one's teeth, I can help! Or hold stuff, I can do that too...

Every time I see a Citroen SM I get a boner.

Unfortunately, it soon subsides when I remember my previous ownership of a CX back in the 1990s. Apart from routine maintenance and new gas spheres, my adventures included the exhaust pipe dropping off, the steering lock seizing and the weird handbrake set up failing at least once a month. It was like a limo to drive and I loved the mad instruments and the non cancelling indicators. I eventually parted company with it, as it was such a money pit that I was permanently skint for the whole time I owned it. Given that was only a CX, god only knows what a money pit an SM would be.

3 minutes ago, bogeyhead said:

Every time I see a Citroen SM I get a boner.

Unfortunately, it soon subsides when I remember my previous ownership of a CX back in the 1990s. Apart from routine maintenance and new gas spheres, my adventures included the exhaust pipe dropping off, the steering lock seizing and the weird handbrake set up failing at least once a month. It was like a limo to drive and I loved the mad instruments and the non cancelling indicators. I eventually parted company with it, as it was such a money pit that I was permanently skint for the whole time I owned it. Given that was only a CX, god only knows what a money pit an SM would be.

You had a Series 1, then. Excellent!