Does AS have a resident Citroen SM? If not, it does now!

richykitchy

18 minutes ago, richykitchy said:

As it turns out, the C6 was a dry run. This is the real thing - a 1973 Citroen SM. Being that it's me what bought it, it's the least desirable, worst-spec SM there is (because I am a beggar, and therefore cannot be a chooser). 3-speed slush-box; stupid federal front end, and a whole heap of rust. That said, it does have the 3.0L engine with triple Webers, and it's only done 49k miles.

And it's an SM. Way I see it, it's win-win.

IMG20210427170416.jpg

Didn't realise you were literally a stone's throw from me - I know exactly where that picture was taken! </stalker>

I also didn't realise these were sold in the US and had an adapted front end accordingly. 

top darts, I hope to see it on my commute home this evening!

Wow! I saw the original ebay ad and then saw the 'I've bought an SM' thread on twitter. Didn't realise you were on here though!

Whatever you do, don't change the front end for a UK spec one as someone on social media suggested. That's surely part of the charm of this gorgeous old beast. 

It looks actually quite...solid? 

It's as if, 48 years ago, someone predicted that Autoshite would exist, and immediately went to a Citroen dealer and ordered that.

That is absolute weapons-grade shite.

IMO one of the most beautiful cars ever built - MuricaSpec front end excepted. Top purchase.

1 hour ago, Stanky said:

Didn't realise you were literally a stone's throw from me - I know exactly where that picture was taken! </stalker>

I also didn't realise these were sold in the US and had an adapted front end accordingly. 

top darts, I hope to see it on my commute home this evening!

Ha! Unless your commute is through my workshop, you won't sadly! Welcome to come see it, though, just let me know in advance.

You win! I saw it on ebay, I’m very jealous.

Although it would be very tempting to try and start it, it’s a big risk. As you may already know the heads like to fall off the sodium filled valves which is pretty much game over.

Best pull heads, and replace valves, deal with any ancillary work and check/adjust timing chains before you attempt first start up. Boring I know, sorry.

200-1.gif.72bcf6bd89e3beff6230510cc40d21a4.gif

I the 70's I had a matchbox streakers SM.Screenshot_20210428-195432_Google.thumb.jpg.8fa52549144c49d2a0ffa1ccce22111f.jpg

One of my favourite cars. Maserati V6 with citroen hydro pnuematicness.

Given the appalling interest rates on savings and uncertainty in the world more people should be buying the stuff they dreamed of.

Life? Your just passing through.