Anyone having trouble shifting small cars lately?

RustyNuts

5 hours ago, colino said:

Clocking has always been with us (made very much easier when they went electronic) but there were fewer pcp/leasers  looking for a hand to make sense of their dirt cheap 4000 miles a year deals than Mot ability car drivers. 

The funny thing is, winding back the clock (or Mileage *correction* as they like to call it professionally) doesn't actually work if the dealer is on the ball.

Most nodern ECU's will log mileage independently of the clocks and engine run time. All it takes is one scan when handing the car back and things can get very awkward....

5 hours ago, Mrcento said:

The funny thing is, winding back the clock (or Mileage *correction* as they like to call it professionally) doesn't actually work if the dealer is on the ball.

Most nodern ECU's will log mileage independently of the clocks and engine run time. All it takes is one scan when handing the car back and things can get very awkward....

I tried hoping people end up in court. 

BUT I'm not squeaky clean myself. 

In 1985, I was insured for my mums company car, a 1.5 datsun sunny. 

Parents went on holiday and gave me the keys telling me I could use it in an emergency.  I did 5 miles in it. Disconnected the Speedo and then used it daily for 2 weeks. Before reconnecting the Speedo. Probably did 500 miles. 

And telling my mum, I'd used the car a few times, but i hadn't been very far. 

Knowing that the busybody next door would tell her anyway. 

I will forever be waiting a knock on the door. 

To be fair I touched up.all the dents she put in it, so i think we are even. 

16 hours ago, colino said:

Clocking has always been with us (made very much easier when they went electronic) but there were fewer pcp/leasers  looking for a hand to make sense of their dirt cheap 4000 miles a year deals than Mot ability car drivers. 

Strangely, I recall that electronic speedos were supposed to make it much more difficult...

4 hours ago, R1152 said:

Strangely, I recall that electronic speedos were supposed to make it much more difficult...

They did -  for the sort of people who were used to clocking a car with a screwdriver and a pin.