Really really boring Focus Buyers Guide

sierraman

On 4/26/2021 at 8:18 PM, sierraman said:

A bigger problem is the oil control rings on the 1.8 which is so widespread by now most will be suffering with it,

A positive spin on this is that I never need to track my mileage for oil changes 🤣. My 1.8 consumes enough oil that a refill and subsequent top-ups from a 5L bottle last about 7000 miles. Once I've finished a bottle, time for an oil change! Plus, as the engine wears out more, the oil changes get more frequent.

I was wondering why it ate so much oil, thanks for the information. 150k and still passing MOT emissions tests. For now.

1 hour ago, rob88h said:

A positive spin on this is that I never need to track my mileage for oil changes 🤣. My 1.8 consumes enough oil that a refill and subsequent top-ups from a 5L bottle last about 7000 miles. Once I've finished a bottle, time for an oil change! Plus, as the engine wears out more, the oil changes get more frequent.

I was wondering why it ate so much oil, thanks for the information. 150k and still passing MOT emissions tests. For now.

It’s doing well, most start getting smoky any time 100k onwards. 

20 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Ford took the pretty bombproof T5 motor , made some budget cuts and made it need “the block mod” in ST circles 

I think that is the extreme Pops & Bangs maps they all seem to put on them, plenty of T5 Volvos with no problems. In the USA the lads running big power T5 C30s don't seem to have even heard of the block mod!

• 4 months later...

Kudos again to @sierramanfor taking the time to write this up

Just had to dig this out via a Google search, what a shame there wasn't an opportunity to 'Sticky' it somehow to stop it dropping down the page..

Long story short, my brothers Twingo was written off/met it's maker via reversing Toyota Hilux last weekend and I've been tasked with suggesting a replacement, only in estate flavour as during lockdown he wisely invested in a Labrador puppy which naturally now weighs 8 stone

VAG stuff would always have been my recommendation, but after 2005 I'm not so sure... Honestly, it's causing me a slight existential crisis, but I'm coming to the realisation a late Mk2 Focus in petrol flavour might fit the bill and be a more favourable option.... Perhaps something like this, only not in Hertfordshire!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109026928405?radius=1500&postcode=dh33ry&model=FOCUS&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&make=FORD&sort=price-asc&price-to=2000&body-type=Estate&fuel-type=Petrol&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

I'm also keeping my eyes peeled for forthcoming @NorthernMonkeyPX deals. The recent Golf Estate would have been perfect if only it had been 2 weeks later (If I had a penny for every time I'd heard that eh!)

• 1 year later...

Just reading through this again a couple of years on- Kudos to @sierraman, it's brilliant.

Nowadays, Mk3 Focus seem to be almost banger money too, to the extent that I'm genuinely looking at one as a serious option.

It looks like from a diesel perspective the 'desirable' 1.8 TDCI didn't make it into this marque, and the choice is either 1.6 or 2.0? How does the Mk3 (2010 onwards) compare vs the Mk2 in terms of engine options? Also, how likely are the electronic steering modules lasting without causing trouble or requiring rack replacement?

38 minutes ago, Shirley Knott said:

Just reading through this again a couple of years on- Kudos to @sierraman, it's brilliant.

Nowadays, Mk3 Focus seem to be almost banger money too, to the extent that I'm genuinely looking at one as a serious option.

It looks like from a diesel perspective the 'desirable' 1.8 TDCI didn't make it into this marque, and the choice is either 1.6 or 2.0? How does the Mk3 (2010 onwards) compare vs the Mk2 in terms of engine options? Also, how likely are the electronic steering modules lasting without causing trouble or requiring rack replacement?

I think they stopped making the 1.8tdci around 2010 when Euro 5 came in. Engines on the Mk3 off the top of my head were 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 petrol with the 1.0 ecoboost and 1.5 ecoboost coming later, then diesels were 1.5tdci, 1.6tdci and 2.0tdci

4 hours ago, Shirley Knott said:

1.6 TDCI should give you no trouble at all in a Mk3, it’s a reworked 8 valve version of the previous PSA diesel. Wouldn’t worry about the rack either, quite a straightforward job. 1.6 petrol good as well, no fireball but it’s a very simple easy to work on engine. 1.0 can be a bit more tricky, if you do get one I would make first job to get the wet belt done, you are probably looking around a £1,000 at a Indy for that, including oil pump replacement. Then assuming you use the correct grade oil you will be just fine. I’m fairness there’s quite a few knocking about (no pun intended) with a recent factory engine in them after someone has ignored oil pressure issues or not serviced it on time. Look after it and I’ll  be fine, neglect it and it will bite you in the arse. 

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

1.6 TDCI should give you no trouble at all in a Mk3, it’s a reworked 8 valve version of the previous PSA diesel. Wouldn’t worry about the rack either, quite a straightforward job. 1.6 petrol good as well, no fireball but it’s a very simple easy to work on engine. 1.0 can be a bit more tricky, if you do get one I would make first job to get the wet belt done, you are probably looking around a £1,000 at a Indy for that, including oil pump replacement. Then assuming you use the correct grade oil you will be just fine. I’m fairness there’s quite a few knocking about (no pun intended) with a recent factory engine in them after someone has ignored oil pressure issues or not serviced it on time. Look after it and I’ll  be fine, neglect it and it will bite you in the arse. 

Thanks man- Exactly what I needed to know.

In light of that it's probably pretty pointless looking at the older cars (for me at least), there's literally only a few hundred quid difference these days between them it seems.

10 minutes ago, Shirley Knott said:

Thanks man- Exactly what I needed to know.

In light of that it's probably pretty pointless looking at the older cars (for me at least), there's literally only a few hundred quid difference these days between them it seems.

I’d go for whatever is in best condition, though many Mk2 seem to be suffering from cosmetic corrosion now on the end of the sills and the wings. There’s still a few nice ones though about that have just come out of long term ownership. 

I had a 2006 1.8 ’flexifuel’ a petrol-ethanol version specific for Sweden based on the duratec which was still running fine and not consuming oil when I sold it at 200,000 miles, 320,000 kms. 

Overall it was a reliable car, but showed signs of corrosion at that time. 

17 minutes ago, Rightnider said:

I had a 2006 1.8 ’flexifuel’ a petrol-ethanol version specific for Sweden based on the duratec which was still running fine and not consuming oil when I sold it at 200,000 miles, 320,000 kms. 

Overall it was a reliable car, but showed signs of corrosion at that time. 

Maybe there was something in it with the ethanol to keep the oil control rings clear?

14 hours ago, sierraman said:

I’d go for whatever is in best condition, though many Mk2 seem to be suffering from cosmetic corrosion now on the end of the sills and the wings. There’s still a few nice ones though about that have just come out of long term ownership. 

Got to agree, i bought one from my very fastidious mate about 2 years ago, maybe 3. Its been faultless, and all the issues have been entirely my own making. The damn thing had already had more than the price i paid him for it spent at the previous service on tyres and brake etc, so i figured if it lasted 1 year it would be good. I heard from an ex ford 'technician' that they used to call them the cockroach car, as they were hard to kill. Its only ever had the basics, wheel bearing, brakes shoes/drums, front lower arms etc Its at 150k now and still seems fine. My mate had already done the volvo cam cover trick to avoid water and missfires.

At one point it found a little bit of metal from somewhere, whirled it round and jumped a tooth on the cambelt on the exhaust side, just took it apart and put a new belt on, job done. As i say, as the now much cliched 'an car' they just work. (fingers toes and eyes crossed for mine to continue to do so) 

3 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Got to agree, i bought one from my very fastidious mate about 2 years ago, maybe 3. Its been faultless, and all the issues have been entirely my own making. The damn thing had already had more than the price i paid him for it spent at the previous service on tyres and brake etc, so i figured if it lasted 1 year it would be good. I heard from an ex ford 'technician' that they used to call them the cockroach car, as they were hard to kill. Its only ever had the basics, wheel bearing, brakes shoes/drums, front lower arms etc Its at 150k now and still seems fine. My mate had already done the volvo cam cover trick to avoid water and missfires.

At one point it found a little bit of metal from somewhere, whirled it round and jumped a tooth on the cambelt on the exhaust side, just took it apart and put a new belt on, job done. As i say, as the now much cliched 'an car' they just work. (fingers toes and eyes crossed for mine to continue to do so) 

The wife has a 2005 one that just seems to keep going, she wanted to sack it off recently and get a Beetle (don’t ask...) which I explained made no sense as it was still performing perfectly well. The EML is on permanently and it has the usual Ti-VCT injector chatter until it’s warmed through but the top end is like new and it doesn’t use a drop of oil. 

13 hours ago, sierraman said:

The wife has a 2005 one that just seems to keep going, she wanted to sack it off recently and get a Beetle (don’t ask...) which I explained made no sense as it was still performing perfectly well. The EML is on permanently and it has the usual Ti-VCT injector chatter until it’s warmed through but the top end is like new and it doesn’t use a drop of oil. 

Quite glad mine isn’t the flash vvti thingy one. Also really surprised my a/c is still working at 18 years old 

11 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

Quite glad mine isn’t the flash vvti thingy one. Also really surprised my a/c is still working at 18 years old 

It’s a myth the Ti-VCT will give you more problems, occasionally when very neglected the solenoids for the VCT will block but this is entirely avoidable. A slight top end rattle when stone cold is quite normal with them, distinct from a start up hard rattle which is indicative of the solenoid gauze being blocked.