Masha - ЗАЗ Таврiя (ZAZ Tavria) - Слава Україні (#SlavaUkraini) - let's get legal! (Then decide).

RichardK

MOT attempt two: alternator stopped play. I thought I'd got it behaving, but it needs a new regulator I think.

Nothing like having done 13 miles, given up, turned around then having to drive past a police car. Suspect they looked at the plateless, LHD, beige Ukrainian beauty whizzing by in a horde of tractors and tourists and decided life is too short to ask all those questions... I reckon I'd have made it to the MOT if there hadn't been so much congestion, as it was stopping in traffic and the very eager cooling fan cutting in that knocked it from 'enough charge' to 'draining the battery'.

Now I really don't have time to get it sorted by FotU - suspect that'll be next year and I'll take the 323C this year.

On the plus side, that was a 26 mile round trip in the Tavria at times reaching almost 60mph, in traffic, and aside from the stress of worrying about breaking down it was quite pleasant. The brakes need a firm shove, but you can give them that firm shove and the car doesn't actually fold up around you.

2 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Of course, if I fix the alternator and someone has trade plates I could still move it to FutU without needing a trailer…

Could you not arrange a pre-booked MOT test next door to FutU?

That would be the autoshite way - I think. 

On 4/26/2021 at 7:54 PM, St.Jude said:

1990's the USSR economy was on its hole, years trying to match the bullshine "Star Wars" program the US had that just turned out to be fiction. A lot of that went on. Think it was also the time when the USSR gave New Zealand a load of Lada's in exchange for milk and butter. 

Think as well for an export to be fruitful, the exchange rates needed to work in favour of them. Which I think the roubles was worth pebbles at the time, and us pig dog decadent westerners wanted fancy stuff like a radio. So that cost them money.

Although saying that, 1990's-ish was off the back of the Lada Riva being in the top ten best sellers in the UK. So they had some sort of momentum too.

But enough of that, I want to see more of your beige bits!

Image attached of Lada pick up that were distributed by the NZ Dairy Board...spotted in Taranaki.

lada.01.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Various things have conspired against me this year,  but this car is still destined for the road. My enthusiasm got knocked after all the MOT hassles - the alternator is coming out now the weather is improving and I'll have to see if I can get the missing battery clamp from somewhere other than Ukraine I suspect...

1B5E8773-CB1B-4308-952F-CC4A638CEE2B.jpeg

64561FA1-9295-40F4-97BD-27CB9EBE4E2E.jpeg

AC5FB185-79E7-4A95-84D3-4857A69252F0.jpeg

It looks like a Lada alternator might fit after all!

But also the battery sounds a bit 'fizzy' when charging - and when I put it on a clever charger, it charged it, but then bailed with an error during maintenance mode, so I am wondering if the issue is actually a duff battery. Finding the correct battery is an interesting exercise - some sites say 078, it has an 063, I can't find a definitive picture to show which way around the wires went. And I still need that clamp...

• 1 month later...

It also looks like I may have to move the Tavria on - it makes me stressed enough not having covered storage but surgery in June might put me back into automatics again. And I don't want it to keep lingering unused and not getting shown anywhere.

Anyone interested can drop me a line with suggestions. It's slightly better than when I got it in that I've bodged a light non-destructively and the bootlid no longer wants to decapitate you, but obviously still not MOTd/registered, the main drama being that fucking August vs. June 1995 emissions cutoff and testers being utterly unwilling to read the fucking manual.

Which can be resolved with a letter from the IFA club but this has escaped my executive function and chaos thus far (it may be resolved soon though).

It's a practical thought if anyone feels strongly they can make the best of it, particularly with the focus on Ukraine and better awareness of the region, but I don't actively want to sell, however I would rather sell than face more months/years of disability and recovery where even if I can fix it I can't physically drive it.

The MX-5 may go too if the surgery suggests six months + of two-pedal/left foot again. But I'd swap it for a C70 Coupe Cab or an SLK or somesuch rather than not having it.

I've seen a few on films/TV reports lately but given they're up to 12 years out of production and Ukraine is a good economy with many "middle class" equivalent families depending on region, they've probably all been (gratefully and with much relief) swapped for Hyundais and Dacias or similar.

Brushes have continuity to the contacts, contacts were green. Ultrasonic clean brushes, clean contacts on regulator pack, cross fingers. Tried improving solder on manky brush but it's so contaminated it was a wasted effort I suspect. However, I can measure the brush dimensions and get new ones if needed.

Nice thing is now I've seen the alternator body off the car it's clean inside and bearings are good, and the regulator pack can be removed with the alternator in situ so if I put it back together and test and it doesn't work I'll just resume the search for new regulator (found one in Poland but they won't ship to pariah island).

F1FCCCD5-60A3-4072-9C97-599BE392074D.jpeg

FFA3973E-C1FA-4E03-9793-A6CC887ED2AA.jpeg

12.4V from the +ve, decreasing under load. I /think/ the regulator is the issue - and the part is shared with Lada, albeit in a different configuration.

The good news, plenty for sale online. $4ish.

The bad news.... guess where they are. No, not Ukraine (LadaPower is still trading apparently but there are bigger things they need to worry about surely), but Russia, where I am sure the people selling are fine and probably normal Russians not supportive of asshat Putin, but can't pay for the bits!

So the same part seems to be shared with all manner of things in the eastern bloc/balkans, but finding one actually for sale and shippable is hilarious.

Latest attempt: MTZ tractor spares supplier in Hungary (damn, wrong revision. Needs to be a 112A as the 112B has different internal wiring for diodes so won't work).

Dare I hope...

Sveiki Richard,

Jūsų užsakymas Nr.  sėkmingai priimtas ir šiuo metu yra vykdomas:

Produktas    Kiekis    Kaina

Generatoriaus relė (šokoladas) JA112A1 M412, AZLK, GAZ, ZIL, 412/370150-10    4    20.00 €

If that has worked, there should be four spare JA112A regulators on the way with DPD.

Aha! There's the whole brush pack!

https://www.detava.lt/produktas/krovimo-rele-su-sepeteliais-m4123701500-m4123702000/

Also USSR car owners might enjoy this section.

I was able to add my address, select DPD courier and pay with credit card and it shows the correct shipping address etc. so I suspect this will be okay. Lithuanian car parts places are all over eBay and I've bought that way before without problems... Not much Tavria still (i.e. none which isn't shared, though I did see bulb holders that might transplant) but plenty of Lada bits.

https://www.detava.lt/produkto-kategorija/rusisku-automobiliu-dalys/

If I can get the alternator fixed I will take this to FotU on trade plates, if I can find someone prepared to lend them. Much to Lancaster's chagrin it is still insured on the chassis number (and they're sick of asking me about it as much as I am sick of explaining why it's not done yet).

• RichardK changed the title to Masha - ЗАЗ Таврiя (ZAZ Tavria) - chasing parts before surgery means no driving (new home or covered storage needed)
21 hours ago, RichardK said:

No, not Ukraine (LadaPower is still trading apparently but there are bigger things they need to worry about surely)

LadaPower are also based out of Belgium, so the chap there Jan is still sending things out. Although I don't know how he'll get stock.

Sorry to hear the potential sale of this, but more sorry to hear you need a bit of fettling yourself. Good luck with it pal, hopefully you'll be back double de-clutching in no time!

5 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

LadaPower are also based out of Belgium, so the chap there Jan is still sending things out. Although I don't know how he'll get stock.

Sorry to hear the potential sale of this, but more sorry to hear you need a bit of fettling yourself. Good luck with it pal, hopefully you'll be back double de-clutching in no time!

Jan was downright hostile when I asked about Tavria parts last year.

7 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Jan was downright hostile when I asked about Tavria parts last year.

Maybe you caught him on an off day? Last time I got stuff from him he was sound, but he did give off the impression of a busy man who's spinning a lot of plates. 

6 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Maybe you caught him on an off day? Last time I got stuff from him he was sound, but he did give off the impression of a busy man who's spinning a lot of plates. 

Possibly, Sam recommended him but the response I got to what I thought was quite a gentle and polite enquiry meant I never wanted to ask again. Again, the situation now means I really feel like asking about car parts is the most trivial thing in the world and people have bigger fish to fry.

However, I have been prompted to shuffle finances, sort out the last bit (I think, need to check) for Sam, and join IFA to see if I can get the letters I need to MOT and register it. It's still going to have to go, the surgery is making me too anxious, but I suspect the way to avoid this being a very expensive detour in my car ownership is to make those last hurdles.

Check this beast out!

Was reading a Tavria forum and it seems they started to disappear from the roads around the same time the UK got scrappage (not counting the fact that Slavutas were sold until 2008-9ish)...

https://www.drive2.com/s/B7EkwEAAAhQ

Would be very curious to see the mid-90s Polish-made ones, about 3000 were assembled there with Polish components making up a fifth or so of the bits attached to the shell in CKD form.

Google finds all:

This image was shared on a defunct FB group and published in a Russian language car page as part of a story about Tavrias. If nothing else it gives me some ideas where right hand drive headlights could maybe be found...

The three UK ones, of which Ed Hughes has a survivor.
K407 and K408 were untaxed as of their first year expiring and last V5 issued in 1999 for both.

Weirdly I still can't find the first Tavria I ever saw online, which was the white H-plated one in the midlands with an EV conversion.

The original post and image is credited to Julian Nowill.
https://news.obozrevatel.com/auto/news/pravorulnaya-zaz-tavriya-ne-ochen-udachnoe-pokorenie-britanii.htm

9513703815142913887310962683268109367771136o.thumb.webp.7a3e032aa0f10cb70ec7ca064d8fd29e.webp