Masha - ЗАЗ Таврiя (ZAZ Tavria) - Слава Україні (#SlavaUkraini) - let's get legal! (Then decide).

RichardK

Helpfully it has a part number - 362.3716113-10 - and I looked up Riva lights and they do look awfully similar but with some clear spreaders to stop the clips detaching…

The part costs 26 pence.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.vr.zp.ua/katalog/patron-zad-fonarya-dvuhkontaktnyiy-tavriya/14122/

226B221B-130F-4382-82B7-36331D3B7452.jpeg

3273BF68-F585-42E9-B342-6F0B226CA152.jpeg

They are very similar!

IMG_20210506_193114.thumb.jpg.72b3556b92d57bfb128eac956b5f2fc6.jpg

IMG_20210506_193048.thumb.jpg.17822cf854cef74f816f876cea389ecb.jpg

IMG_20210506_200544.thumb.jpg.9d83bb6792457d07d8c558b36ac04c4b.jpg

Sadly no dual filament bulb version as the 5/21W position here is done using two separate bulbs.

If you want to see if there's any way they're useful (reckon with a bit of drilling they'll match up fine for the other positions) I'll happily pop them in the post to you for free.  They're just cluttering up my garage as it is.

How I'd probably do this if it were my car would be to get a standalone lamp holder of the appropriate type and just bolt it on to the PCB (with spacers if necessary for isolation), running wires to the relevant traces and soldering them on.

They are very similar! I will say thankyou but decline taking them, as they're not the same so I'd just be depriving you of known Lada parts - but I am fascinated by the little spiders to reinforce them!

I'm going to fibreglass and epoxy the holder I have to restore it to working order for the MOT - and then I'm going to work on getting a box of parts from Ukraine, where the holder is a whole 26 pence so I'll buy 10 of each one and a couple of spare PCBs, as well as a lot of other silly stuff like rubber seals.

New radiator is £15. If I can find reasonable shipping and avoid too much tax idiocy this won't be a hard car to keep in shining condition.

8 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

nice weekend trip part shopping?????

Oh, definitely. I really mustn't be allowed near whatever the Ukraine equivalent of FB marketplace is (probably FB marketplace) as I'll end up coming home with all the toy cars, tinplate models, bears and abandoned Tavrias.

Noticed that a ZAZ 968 is about the same price as a synth. There WILL be another Zaporozhets in the UK by the end of 2022.

Hey if you can find an extra driver, I would definitely like to buy an early-ish (round taillamp) 968 if one could be landed here cheaply so why not make it a convoy? I know two people who drove 968s back from the East with no problems whatsoever, so I reckon trying to bring two back would just make it twice as likely to succeed.

2 hours ago, barrett said:

Hey if you can find an extra driver, I would definitely like to buy an early-ish (round taillamp) 968 if one could be landed here cheaply so why not make it a convoy? I know two people who drove 968s back from the East with no problems whatsoever, so I reckon trying to bring two back would just make it twice as likely to succeed.

Well, it's a thought well in the future - and to be fair, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Lithuania and so forth in terms of prices, but I've read Sam's account of retrieving one and while the car may be cheap, the sundries could get very interesting - so I'm trying to be realistic, but a round-light/ears one is my preferred aesthetic. I wouldn't kick a later one off the driveway if that's what I could afford. I am sure it would be possible to arrange a suitable convoyesque trip!

5 hours ago, RichardK said:

Oh, definitely. I really mustn't be allowed near whatever the Ukraine equivalent of FB marketplace is (probably FB marketplace) as I'll end up coming home with all the toy cars, tinplate models, bears and abandoned Tavrias.

Noticed that a ZAZ 968 is about the same price as a synth. There WILL be another Zaporozhets in the UK by the end of 2022.

Here, let me tempt you: https://www.olx.ua/transport/legkovye-avtomobili/zaz/

1 hour ago, barrett said:

Crikey. If my sums are correct, this little beauty

is £230 and according to the vendor "will get you where you want". Do you think I could hold him to that?

As far as I know it can be a bit of a pain to export cars from Ukraine. Something about needing to be a Ukrainian citizen to get export docs IIRC.

I have no idea what plastic that bulb holder is made of but it's just resisted some epoxy as well, so I'm definitely going to have to get creative before Monday. I hate gluing things that won't glue!

Now my fingers are, of course, glued.

29 minutes ago, RichardK said:

I have no idea what plastic that bulb holder is made of but it's just resisted some epoxy as well, so I'm definitely going to have to get creative before Monday. I hate gluing things that won't glue!

abuse a poor soldering iron and try and plastic weld the bits together perhaps? :) 

36 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Could be something like Acetal which is reasonably good at temperature and has low friction for sliding in lamps.  Unfortunately it’s got very low molecular bond strength so glueing it is difficult.

36 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

abuse a poor soldering iron and try and plastic weld the bits together perhaps? :) 

I have a plastic welding kit :) But i’ve bought a wired holder and will attach it non-destructively so I can revert when I have new holders! 

Cut one clip off and the holder fits perfectly. Originally just taped down and then tested, but the brake light lit the reversing light slightly so I ended up soldering instead. It did the same when hooked up and I was a bit confused, before realising I’d disconnected the earth wire. Fortunately it's all reversible.

And now we have a full set of lights :)

F6923674-4A91-495B-A7A8-309E0D79326E.jpeg

EE15A096-92DB-49A9-B5F7-6E26774D66BA.jpeg

E8F3EA6B-8AD8-4542-8640-37241AEB41DF.jpeg

6BCDE3A8-906E-4A64-AF9C-38B0E4430235.jpeg

5BC9D4AE-6BD2-4BF8-B98D-34192CD96D47.jpeg

To be honest, I'm tempted to get another set of lights and cut the backs to hold this style of bulbholder. If I were using the car lots, maybe. Just because the PCB is of such dire quality (but then this is part of the charm of the ZAZ I think, if the Facebook groups are anything to go by. Nothing causes confusion to Ukrainians with unloved worthless cars than some English dude actually LIKING it).

Yeah, on the Samara I wound up soldering the loom onto the pads where the edge connector used to be - that reduced the frequency with which I had to faff around getting the brake lights and indicators to work at the same time (or stop the indicators coming on when I selected reverse) from daily to a couple of times a month.

12 minutes ago, RichardK said:

Well… will it pass tomorrow morning? I sense new tyres (and all the fun that entails) in my future.

Screenwash full, lights checked, beam-benders ready to fit… not much more I can do!

FD90FBEB-BEC6-454B-B1F6-3013B56CDECF.jpeg

D31DFB6E-ECF1-417D-9320-847D9A11DAE3.jpeg

If the tyres are cracking or bald then?

I'm going to say it's a pass. I'm on my 4th bottle of beer so I'm in an optimistic mood.