Where are you going for Drive it Day?

brownnova

Had another starter motor so swopped them over. Convinced Mrs Doug all was well. So set off for Portpatrick. Got as far as Turnberry and pulled over to let the line of BMWs and Audis pass. It wouldn't start. Mrs Doug had to push me to get it to go. She no impressed. Got back home and ordered a new starter. Didnt see any other classic/interesting car out in the short time we were out.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Not really feeling in a position where I can responsibly meet up with anyone yet, but will probably take either the Jag or Invacar out for a general bumble around with no particular destination in mind to see if I spot anything interesting while en route.

ohh please take TPA, as theres currently 4 Model 70's running around in convoy in Yorkshire

imagine the amount of WTF as someone spots those 4, and then someone posts "but I just saw one in MK, whats going on!" :mrgreen:

I will be out into the road to park the '03 Golf daily driver then round the front garden in the V40 and the parts Golf. Later I will be off-roading in the Terrano across the grass as it needs cutting. If the Galaxy was a runner I would drive that around too and not use it as a roundabout for the others. Might drive the Interceptor around the block and wash it then do some work on it.

Edit: Parts Golf has become the car that just keeps giving, £8.78 in change plus a £5 note today. :mrgreen:

Not taking anything out just because it's Drive it Day, but I will use the old 1200 to go and get Miss SL from work in a bit. Took the Laurel when we had to nip into town yesterday, and I've got to do a 100+ mile trip tomorrow and I'll probably use the Sunny. After last year it's good to get some miles on them.

Didn't realise it was drive it day, but had planned a break from welding the 240 and took the C70 out for a random drive down roads I'd never been on.

screenshot_20210425-161122.png

Nothing else interesting out to play. Beautiful weather, the hard top C70 is a decent drive despite what people say. Nice 5 pot drone, handles fine (uprated ARB and bushes) and very comfy. 

Cyclists riding in twos and refusing to move on hilly single track roads is a pain in the arse though.

13 2CVs trundled around the Wirral ending up in a car park which was full and having to drive further down the road to find one which wasn’t... 

53F78C84-E5C0-4497-BAA3-3BCA67F45986.jpegB6777D77-5A2A-45A6-996F-36106DECE750.jpeg3A54DC06-8449-4375-9C3B-6AA21EF19F58.jpeg

Lots out and about on the Wirral including a couple of Austin 7s, a 70s Cavalier, an 80s Cavalier convertible, MGB, Stag, P5 and a De Lorean! (There were others I’m sure) 

Sadly getting TPA out was never going to happen.  Virtually everyone on our street has had friends around today so getting out of the drive was hard enough, much less being able to shuffle cars around sufficiently to get her out of the garage.

Took the Jag out for a half hour amble after washing it though.  Saw a couple of MGBs and a pair of Stags in convoy, that was it though.

IMG_20210425_173713.thumb.jpg.9ee805db1ec0825085d9bdf4f0f00d7c.jpg

Really wish we could hurry up with the driveway work so my getting cars in/out wasn't wholly dictated by how busy the street is.

we travelled along to Scarborough and back. Scarborough was heaving, so we didn't stop even for an ice cream.

20210425_153755.thumb.jpg.17a429488c86d38f8b5057487b449275.jpg

tiny car is running like a really sweet little thing.

everything seems to work, so while we set off with some trepidation, we need not have worried as the tiny car went really well.

ok so there were a slight hiccup on occasion, but no more that is usual on a 47 year old mini!

i did wonder about bringing the car home, but then thought, if the weather does hold, then that rotten little brat across the road will no doubt be kicking that fookin' ball about, and the last thing i want it smol car getting hit with a friggin' ball. strangely enough his bloody mothers car never, ever gets hit with the damn thing.

so instead i left the mini at Kerry's, i'll get it later in the week.

and what did we see? well a well used Morris Minor, a mid 1970s Datsun Zed, a mark 3 Escrot RS Turbo, series 1 E-type DHC, a mark 2 Jaguar and a TR6. so a few interesting vehicles in amongst the rented blobs and bloated SUVs on the roads.

20200823_175914.thumb.jpg.db92385f77dc4e6dadd1986eda816a75.jpg

20200823_175924.thumb.jpg.8f04b8a0178a475171c96a30efe11151.jpg

Nothing exiting for me,my drive it day consisted of swapping the Subaru and Polish caravan around on the front.

20210425_120959.thumb.jpg.ca47ccf3af76ecde288149592689d568.jpg

20210425_120944.thumb.jpg.b19ab1e6181a19d4478055b7209db0d2.jpg

I can get to finish the repairs on the o/s rear now and as an added bonus see out of the kitchen window again.

20210424_161256.thumb.jpg.56a4a74af11b0309803f071b02446dd4.jpg

The little fibreglass caravan is also fully stripped out ready to be refitted.

Just up to my support bubble / sister’s family for the weekend. My brother in law needed 22 new sleepers moved from front drive to back garden ( @Wingz123 there may be one left over after the garden works if you still need them?). Took the 2cv again as merc still waiting repair and not trusted at motorway speed. 

015642F4-F71C-44BF-8235-CC2D89DB20FC.jpeg

I was out for just over 2 hours doing a circuit of the A32, A31 and A272 through the south downs in the daihatsu. Turnout was a bit disappointing, I saw a Morgan +4, a Sunbeam Alpine, a sierra cosworth, a Mini, some 1960 Ferrari convertible that probably cost more than my house, a parked Maserati biturbo convertible and a VW camper (not unusual around here).

I also saw a very shiny harvest gold MGB roaster broken down, and a VW T25 on the back of the big yellow taxi.

I'm a bit disappointed really - I'm sure last year there were more cars out and about, it was mostly just turgid dross cluttering up the roads today. Maybe it was the wrong time of day, I was out and about between 1 and 3pm so maybe people were having lunch?

I did witness a brilliant bit of motoring, a signwritten builders transit being overtaken on a NSL single carriageway by a toyota prius (and then me). I also had a good run in the car, covered about 90 miles overall and gave it a good bit of exercise. I don't know if I'll ever get tired of booting it in 2nd and 3rd gear, especially overtaking dawdlers doing 40mph in a NSL.

Yesterday we played car Tetris to get the Traction out of the garage and replace it with the Chrysler so that today we could go for a drive. The Traction is the only old banger that can accomodate the dog in the back. We met up with some friends - they were in their Vitesse convertible and we bumbled through the Sussex lanes down to Shoreham Beach and then to Goring. Lovely day for that sort of thing. Did about 60 miles. Didn't see much old stuff: one Austin Seven, a new Morgan 3-wheeler, Daimler V8 250, Aston Martin DB5 (worth more than everything else on the road put together), some kind of TVR, early Mustang and a 70s American pick up. We also drove past a pub that had a collection of old stuff in the car park; I remember seeing Alvises and Cobras. Then back home for a breezy BBQ. A good day.