Where are you going for Drive it Day?

brownnova

Now many of us need no excuses to drive our elderly steeds to various places like Aldi or the tip, but tomorrow is Drive it Day! Official day of classic car usage.

So where you going in yours?

I’m heading up to the Wirral coast in my 2CV with my local 2CV group.

Anyone else got plans? 

dunno, i dunno if we actually have a working car!

it was tinkered with last weekend, but its not been driven anywhere other  than up and down the drive, slightly.

there isn't any sort of runs around near home that i know of, so either we have a drive out somewhere on our own drive it day,

or we stop at home.

I'm going to try and get out in the Daihatsu in the afternoon while smollest_stanky naps, shan't be out for more than an hour or two and will likely head up into the south downs for some fun driving. Hopefully we'll get some good spots of actual certified classics.

I got the Cortina mk4 Ghia estate out of the garage today, the first time I have driven  a proper car this year and the only car currently insured. The clutch was seized but freed off fairly easily after a couple of starts in gear. Drove about 12 miles to my parents house, when nearly there it cut out on a busy roundabout and took a while to restart, then lost all power, it eventually cleared and got us there and back. Oh and while I was getting the car ready the wind blew the garage door off so I had to fix that!
I will take the Cortina out again tomorrow but not sure where yet. I hope I have more luck tomorrow.

I did see a very nice original looking early seventies Beetle when out and a stunning early Stag also.

Was planning on going to Portpatrick in the Kitten with Mrs Doug. Started it up today for the first time in months. Started no problem. Moved it 10 feet and it cut out. It would not start again not even turning over. Traced to the starter relay. Got it going again. Went for a wee test run. All good. Then tonight went to go out in it again and it will not start again. Sounds like the starter is not engaging with the engine as it seems to be spinning very fast. 

Going to investigate tomorrow morning and hope to sort it and still go. Mrs Doug has already chickened out no matter what.

I need to visit Screwfix tomorrow, sadly the MG is covered bits of camper and the Range Rover is blocked in by the missus modern, which is what I'll probably use since I've got to shift it anyway. No time though, the camper build is taking all my time and there's a deadline looming.

25 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

I'm just staying home, I've got DIY to do.  I've also got no money and not much desire to go anywhere.

The day is further soured for me because we should have been on the south coast seeing the granddaughters, and meeting up with the occasional Shiter... but we're not.

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

I’m heading up to the Wirral coast with my local 2CV group.

I'd say swing on by, but sadly I'll be too busy with other shit 🤦‍♂️

Do try get a Ice Cream from Parkgate, I recommend the smaller of the two places (literally next door to each there... well separated by a small alleyway) 

I should have made an effort to check the Reliant. It's months since I last started it and that was only to move it out of the garage to do some sweeping and spider removal - from the garage, not the car.  I'm therefore not confident enough to drive it anywhere, though it will sit and idle happily for 30 minutes or so.  Unfortunately it is not 'Idle It Day,' so I'll be doing a personal, non-meeting-up drive in the far less interesting but reliable Tipo.

18 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

I'd say swing on by, but sadly I'll be too busy with other shit 🤦‍♂️

Do try get a Ice Cream from Parkgate, I recommend the smaller of the two places (literally next door to each there... well separated by a small alleyway) 

Do love Parkgate, pop there often (when restrictions allow) for an Ice Cream! 

2 hours ago, RobT said:

Off to Eastbourne tomorrow for an outdoor meet with the in-laws.  Not sure whether to take the newly acquired ex-HMC Merc or Ibiza.  Here they are cluttering up the street.

20210424_190536.thumb.jpg.9f7910c5da9d7b4cd6e4d56d550140f4.jpg

Might take the Morris for a blez in the evening, as the above aren't really that old, are they.

I must have missed you buying the Ibiza - how long have you had that?

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I must have missed you buying the Ibiza - how long have you had that?

Since the end of February.  It had a few days MoT left, so I got it tested, replaced the rear wheel bearings and a pair of tyres, and fingers crossed it's been fine ever since.  1.4 SXE and it has AC.  Or did.  Could do with trying to fix that soon.

1 hour ago, RobT said:

Since the end of February.  It had a few days MoT left, so I got it tested, replaced the rear wheel bearings and a pair of tyres, and fingers crossed it's been fine ever since.  1.4 SXE and it has AC.  Or did.  Could do with trying to fix that soon.

I had one in an identical colour during the 2000s. The best car I've owned to date. 1999 1.4 S - bigger steel wheels I think but no aircon. :)

Ibiza