SL's latest car quest: Sorted!

Spottedlaurel

So, as my signature suggests the beloved 240K has gone and left a big hole on my driveway. I decided at this point the Galant didn't really do quite what I wanted when I'd already got the Accord, so that got put up for sale and fairly quickly found a buyer.

As soon as the 240K drove up the road and I heard it's lovely six-pot I knew that's what I still had to have in my life (with RWD). As Cedrics are now serious money and I've 'done' 240K for now, a Laurel is the most obvious choice (unless a Crown pops up of course).

This beast has reared its head again:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a Japanese-spec C32 hardtop (!) with RB20E engine and auto 'box. And a lovely wine red interior. As I've mentioned before, I actually saw it in Harwich some years ago and spoke to its then owner, and later even had a drive in it. It's moved on since, and is available at a reasonable price though sadly without MoT. Insurance might be an issue as it's an import, though it's old enough to qualify for the classic policy I use on the Accord etc. To be investigated.

Odd thing is over the last few days while I've been on a camping holiday I've been convinced that I would buy the T-plate C230 200L with 33k that was for sale very near me for £1200, was in CCW. Sadly that was sold last night, and the Prelude at £695 in there has also gone.

This is also been watched with interest, I have a grille which would be of use on it! Awaiting better pictures, but seems a bit of a gamble for what I want.

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0150276390

That's a Laurel C33 hardtop, with RB20ET engine. I think they're a fantastic shape, just a shame this one doesn't at least have a current MoT. probably a bit too new to go on a classic policy too.

Also in the watch list:

Prelude, currently £670:

Posted Image

Stanza 4dr, currently £301 (£375 reserve), bit too similar to the Accord:

Posted Image

1-owner Subaru auto, 41k on the clock!

Posted Image

Tidy-looking Sunny, only a 1.2 though.

Posted Image

Mazda estate with 18k!

Posted Image

Flippin' lovely Celica 1600ST, great pic's too. Will probably go for more than the grand maximum I can spend.

Posted Image

This I am very seriously considering, XT version converted to 5-speed from auto. £1000 BIN. Not a 6-pot though...

Posted Image

And this I am NOT considering though it does look a good car, as it's identical to the one on my drive in bits! Been there etc...

Posted Image

Similarly, this one's not really in the running though probably is a good buy, better spec as it's a late one:

Posted Image

Oh, and I have a deep fondness for early Manta B's and their Cavalier sister like this, shame this one has no MoT:

Posted Image

This, as seen at RR07, is also tempting me:

Posted Image

Will (Datman) is also selling his dad's 300C estate, nice one with low miles. Would be very interested if I hadn't already had one (and two saloons) plus I already have the Camry as a big wagon.

Phew. You kept up with all of that? Loads more have been filtered out, and 'd be interested to hear of others similar up to a £1000 (preferably less!) that fit my criteria. I don't see every advertising media going, could be there's something languishing unsold in your local paper etc that's just what I'm after!

The JDM C32 Laurel is my top contender right now.

I would suggest something either luxurious or sporty as the ordinary-ness of the beige Galant seemed to be its main problem!I vote the C33 Laurel provided you MOT it and tidy it up a bit, they are just lovely and it's a MEDALIST! What more do you want man!

Either Celica, or find a Manta/Cav with MOT. None of the others do much for me, I'm afraid, although I could see the potential in a Subaru L-series manual. I don't know why Mk1 Preludes go for so much money, the Mk2 (83-87 model) is far nicer if you ask me.

ARGH! What a list of options!!!The Subaru saloon looks magnificently ordinary, and yet very alluring for the obscureness factor. Almost Hirstistic.Me, I'd be going hell for leather for the brown Celica. Or the Mazda 323 wagon.Or the Silver Datto. In that order.

That Subaru is quite the machine isn't it? Amazing that it retains its original hubcaps. I see a 1.8 GL one in town fairly regularly with no hubcaps (think the GL didn't get them), about 5 badges on the grille and an old man driver. Would come up really well with some wax and polish. Hugely tempted to leave a note!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would be torn between these two. Those Preludes have allways looked good and being a Honda would be reliable. The nissan looks rare now and is pure 70's + you wouldnt park next to one at Tesco's.

Right, let's see the appropriate adverts for each cars:

C32 Laurel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AilAMcIKroQ - Bit dull! Nice hat buddy.

- The doorman has my white gloves! Cool!

C33 Laurel

- They imported one to the UK for this advert?! Can't make out the plate!

- Can't make it out on this one either.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is2mNh9yH0c - New Laurel. Perfect for driving out into the middle of forests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-MImd_rfsI - Don't jump! Here's a Laurel!

Prelude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPcTuwwl0p4 - Non stick-on sunroof action!

- Huge advert that says "cruising" a lot and also "SPECIAL PRIVATE CAR".

- John Surtees!

Stanza

- AUSTER JX!

Subaru Saloon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slzvm4lZka4 - SILKY TRICOT SEAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To66H_6-oXI - Those hubcaps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLPTjeJ3gS8 - Come on Subaru, your adverts are letting the side down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRQL1Ce8b0 - These don't have men in waistcoats or anything!

Can't find any for the other ones, though. Only different generations!

Flipping 'eck hirst. Thats not really made things any easier for Mr Laurel....

C32 & C33

Cons: Auto and some parts

Pros: Japanese mafia staff car + lowering and rims will make it look ace.

710 Silver Violet

Cons: Whats lurking under that vinyl roof? Might be pricy.

Pros: solid and rare

300C

Cons: you have a big wagon already. Banger racers may take too much interest.

Pros: well proven experience and low miles

Vauxhall/Manta B

Cons: no MOT, no JDM action, potential leaking on driveway. Not a Manta 'A'

Pro: great looking car, parts easy to obtain.

Celica:

Cons: prices could go mental, styling not special enough.

Pros: very nice to drive, better built than Datsuns

Sunny:

Cons: relatively common? not enough power.

Pro: simple engineering, easy to own and to drive

subaru:

cons: parts horror, untested terrority

Pro: unusual but satisfying machine to own. How cool would this look modded?

Stanza:

Cons: most unloved Datsun, FWD

Pros: buck the trend, buy it and love it.

Prelude:

Cons: likely to go to silly money. Cramped.

Pros: well built, engineering. Potential to do something different.

323:

Cons: lack of power, you'd be too scared to rack up serious mileage.

Pros: practical and neat styling. mileage.

I'd be tempted by the Subaru or C32 hardtop.

Here's something very close to you and a bit of a wild card.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rayton-Fissore-Magnum-turbo-diesel-4x4_W0QQitemZ110160777640QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2192QQ

Posted Image

This might be a bit small but another low mileage beauty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/mitsubishi-colt-hatchback-24-000-miles-from-new_W0QQitemZ270156054368QQihZ017QQ

Posted Image

I'll stop now, because there is also the ebay B reg Turbo Fuego, '85 audi 80 sport, numerous Volvo estates etc etc....

Superb YouTubery Hirst!

Silky tricot seat?

Sounds sumptuous.

tri·cot (trÄ“'kÃ…Â) pronunciation

n.

1. A plain, warp-knitted cloth of any of various yarns.

2. A soft ribbed cloth of wool or a wool blend, usually used for dresses.

I don't think the Subaru would be a parts horror, they're pretty popular in Australasia and North America.

Yeah the Subaru would be OK I think, I bet all the mechanical bits you could get parts from Blueprint and any obscure bits of trim you'd be able to get from overseas if required. It's just a shame about the autobox!It's got to be the C32/C33 I think. The rest of the stuff is either too "ordinary" (meaning they won't get much use over the Accord), too expensive (the Prelude and brown Celica), or you've owned it before! The Subaru is still very tempting though I reckon, especially in that condition.

Been busy listing nappy covers tonight (don't ask), good to see some interesting - if not entirely sensible - suggestions.If that President is selling here at £1995 they must be worth pennies back in Japan!Accord is an oddity, USA import I suppose? Wonder if it's one that was built there, seems curious to have that and Aerodeck, and wasn't there a 2dr notchback too? Barmy. I agree with RW, price a bit high especially given it doesn't state anything about T&T.Prelude topped out at £720 reserve not met, think it went higher last time.Celica ST already way over my budget!Torsten, interesting you saw the XT. Can you recall what price was in the window? Needs better wheels on it. I don't think that 2-litre 4-pot would be a particularly inspiring engine - gruff and willing maybe, but I imagine neither revvy nor hugely powerful.

That President is a stretched Q45 - one of the best Q-cars ever made, and certainly in the Lancia Thema Ferrari league. The Q45 is a rare sight over here, but I see them every now and again. Faster than they have any right to be - comfy too.They live on today in the CIMA and FUGA models - I'll post some pics later.

Say what you like, but sticking a 4.5 V8 in a bland saloon floats my boat and has it going at full sail.

Posted Image

OK, not so bland now (you have to see these in the metal to really get how good looking this car is), but this Nissan Fuga is the "Japanese Jag" out here.

Posted Image

This is the CIMA - also available with the 4.5, but most choose the 3.5 (Z engine). Again, prettier than it looks in 2D. The Infinity Q45 became this in Asia

Posted Image

This is the Nissan Swan. Yup. Swan. No 8 pot, but you can have the 350Z 6 pot and it goes like stink. This is what the Maxima / QX became

I don't think Europe gets these - the Maxima put paid to that. Not really Shite at all in my opinion, so will end with some £37k Korean tat:

Posted Image

E-Class S-Type XG300 Clarus (Magentis at a push). Utter shite, but nice engine (same as mine in the Carnival)