XM Fettling - And Now, The End is Near?

wesacosa

Despite promising myself I would downsize the fleet , even putting up an ad for the Volvo, itchy feet have kicked in and today is my first comfy collection thread, in that I am sat on my arse at home waiting for someone else to bring a new money pit to my house

I will refrain from posting pictures of this part of the collection thread as me in slippers and jogging bottoms isnt a great sight but will post some prettier pictures when it's here

Eagle eyed readers of other sections of this forum may have seen what the car is already

26 minutes ago, Bitzer said:

Ahhhhh, the famous* keypad. Suppose the buttons used to enter PIN are nicely worn, which leaves only 16 possible combinations...

ah I didn't even check that. Its a pain in the arse already and I only just moved it on the drive so will be looking for ways to disconnect it

So, the background story. I have fancied a floaty Citroen for ages,  preferably a BX or XM.  I live in what is going to become part of ULEZ extension in October so thought it was now or never. I spotted this in a classic car auction in December. I didn't go see it but was going to have a cheeky bid. I forgot to register in time but watched the auction out of interest and nobody bid. I did contact auction house after but they said it was no longer available after speaking to vendor. Anyway fast forward to last week and I notice it appears in the April auction. Went to see it on Monday evening, looked nice but big LHM leak and few other niggles. Do the sums and set my upper limit (below lower estimate so didn't hold out much hope, but it needs a fair bit of recommissioning and has no history or V5). 

Anyway, fast forward to auction day. feeling better about the issues after speaking on here and XM forum so register to bid online. Its right at end of auction so have to wait.  Finally comes to this lot, auctioneer keeps lowering starting bid. Nothing. I wait for a few drops and then click bid.  Tense wait for counter bids online or in house. Non come. Hammer down and it's mine.!! Some confusion when they phone me 30 mins later to say it's well short of reserve. I tell the guy it was offered without reserve (which it was according to auctioneer). He speaks to someone in the background, comes back apologises and says he will prepare the invoice !!

I had already been making tentative plans for transportation if I won due to the missing V5 not allowing me to tax it, so after confirmation yesterday evening  the fabulous and highly recommend @worldofceri was on his way to collect on my behalf

thanks Ceri, great to meet you and sorry about the stain on your trailer, mateIMG-20210421-WA0003.jpg

so here I am, the proud owner of a 2 owner 1997 70k 2.1TD manual XM with lovely shiney paint, some electrical gremlins, a fluid leak and no V5 but I am super happy..looks straight, solid and original. shame the history has all been lost (think it ended up a bereavement sale) as I suspect it had lots

20210421_124355.jpg

20210421_124432.jpg

This looks great, a very nice colour too. I look forward to more updates and pictures.

This forum has been very exciting today with this, a mk1 Granada and yellow Dolly sprint all being introduced, I may need a cold shower to calm down. Absolutely fantastic!

• wesacosa changed the title to Comfy collection thread - XM arrival

The trick always was to disconnect the keypad with the ignition on, that way it doesn't get a 'system lock' message. Do remember the code though, as when the battery goes flat the system defaults to a 'lock' position and starting is not possible (and you've got to reconnect the pad).

I love the XM and have a 2.5td Estate tucked away, one of many projects I need to get on with! The hatch in VSX trim is a cracking car, the suspension is awesome. I'm jealous!

15 minutes ago, tommotech said:

The trick always was to disconnect the keypad with the ignition on, that way it doesn't get a 'system lock' message. Do remember the code though, as when the battery goes flat the system defaults to a 'lock' position and starting is not possible (and you've got to reconnect the pad).

I love the XM and have a 2.5td Estate tucked away, one of many projects I need to get on with! The hatch in VSX trim is a cracking car, the suspension is awesome. I'm jealous!

I was reading the handbook and it says you can switch it to automatic mode which makes it operate with remote central locking. sounds much more like it.  Looking forward to driving it now, just need to find this LHM leak. general consensus is that it's the brake valve in the drivers side scuttle

4 hours ago, wesacosa said:

shame the history has all been lost

Hmm, with such low mileage and just two owners, if the original selling Citroen dealer still exists, then maybe the servicing was done there at some point with first and even second owner. If so, they may be able to look up its Citroen service records for you?

7 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Hmm, with such low mileage and just two owners, if the original selling Citroen dealer still exists, then maybe the servicing was done there at some point with first and even second owner. If so, they may be able to look up its Citroen service records for you?

Ooh good call. will see if I can find a dealer name