XM Fettling - And Now, The End is Near?

wesacosa

things not going to plan at the moment. The place that supposedly had the brake valve ring in stock has contacted me today to say they don't. 😡 and Mister Auto website has been down for almost a week now so I have been unable to order the cambelt, alternator belt and the other bits and bobs.  No sign of the V5 yet either so its currently a very large ornament .  Hoping for some progress soon as this car probably becomes non viable for me at end of the year due to ULEZ extension so my small window for enjoyment is getting smaller

1 minute ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Hopefully you get the bits you need. Would you like a step by step guide for the cambelt? I can email it to you.

ooh yes that would be great if you have it. thanks.  I have the Haynes already but if you have something different. Cheers

so it seems like Mister Auto are not taking any UK orders for at least another 3 or 4 weeks due to the mess that shipping from EU to UK has become, just as I have a basket full of XM bits. 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

• wesacosa changed the title to XM Fettling - Parts Hunting

well, I think (hope) the brake valve is LHM tight now. As per the previous posts the brake doseur valve seal was badly breached. It was clearly an aftermarket seal (different colour to OEM) but the locator ring was bent out of shape which I think was the reason for the leak, although there was a small split when I took the seal off but that may have been me catching it when prising the ring off.

Many thanks to @jonathan_dyane who not only sent me a replacement locator ring (which are pretty much impossible to find) but refused several attempts to take even a postage and a pint money for it.  Things like this remind me why I enjoy this forum so much

Took a few goes to get the locator ring fully home. Supposedly soaking in LHM and using finger pressure is enough but I really struggled to get it fully seated. Red rubber grease and using a socket as a drift seemed to do the trick

as you can see its all back together again now, For those that don't know the cars that well that black rubbery cone is the lever from the brake pedal which operates that metal lever and pushes on the valve to operate the brakes. the valve seems to be only on or off so the pressure regulating must be done somewhere else in the system.  In the BX and Xantia the valve connects more directly to the pedal inside the cabin which whist probably looking less Heath Robinson it does mean a similar leak to the one I had means LHM pissing all over your carpets and an even bigger pig of a job to get at

20210509_171913.jpg

20210508_183423.jpg

• wesacosa changed the title to XM Fettling - (Not so) Pretty Green

The Jam may have had a pocket full of Pretty Green, but the XM had a tank full of not so Pretty Green

20210516_120201.jpg

As most of the LHM had leaked out through the Doseur valve seal the stuff I syringed out before removing the tank looked ok, but the stuff in the bottom of the tank did not. Nor did the white filter

20210516_120243.jpg

or this little disc (which I think is for the level float

20210516_120155.jpg

The Haynes suggests cleaning the tank out with rags but its pretty heavily baffled so I suspect I will just have to swill it out with Petrol

I did manage to get the tank out without having to disturb the hoses thankfully

20210516_120215.jpg

There is supposed to be a second filter but I think thats clipped into the centre unit currently sat in that Vimto bottle so I will have to investigate

EDIT: The second cone shaped filter located and its even more grim

Whilst the Airbox is out I will take a look at that little green ABS relay and clean up those earths, and hope they are the cause of my ABS light not going out

20210516_120903.jpg

20210516_120913.jpg

20210516_122500.jpg

5 minutes ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Ugh it’s a long time since she’s had a LHM change! If possible probably worth bleeding it through the brakes too

yeah looks like it.  Annoyingly the little clip which hold the filter in seems to be missing. hoping it might be stuck in the sludge in the tank.  think I will have to try bleeding the brakes given the state of the fluid but I read they can be a bit of a pain

40 minutes ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Bleeding the brakes is easier than any other car (engine running wedge down brake pedal with suspension on high and crack open each nipple in turn) as long as the nipples undo

yeah that was my worry. I am guessing they may not have been opened for a while!

Nice box of goodies arrived. thanks @Andyrew for taking the time to confirm the right part numbers for me

Progress has stalled at the moment, I need to get the car up on its suspension to do the fitting of parts but I am part way through the LHM change and can't finish it until I can find a way to replace the missing filter clip. Thought I had a lead on FB forum but guys gone quiet

20210518_173419.jpg

I remember bleeding my brakes through on my old XM. The satisfaction was off the scale as muddy shit came out, then some air then fresh green blood.

Made zero difference to the braking but it felt good to do! The whole back end of the hydro cars is a dead end so pull a good bit of fresh fluid through. Keep the front window open to hear the low level beep then top up and carry on

• 4 weeks later...

After all the excitement of the Panda collection mid week, was back to a bit of XM fettling this weekend. Got all the LHM filters and tank cleaned out. Couldn't source a clip for the filter so will have to hope it stays in place. Car goes up and down well but the pump is now clicking like a b@#&ard.  I think its the accumulator sphere. Ordered a new one but looks an absolute git to get to.  Was hoping my filter strap wrench would do but no way I can get leverage on it.  I keep reading about some mystical Pleiades wrench but can't seem to find any pictures of what it looks like.  Might have to try a multi chain wrench with socket adaptor but have a feeling its been on there a while that sphere , possibly since 1997 !!

It's not too bad... Put the front up on ramps (then down low, depressurise etc) , then lie underneath and once your directly under the centre sphere it's not too bad... a borrow of a sphere removal tool would make it loads easier though. 

Tightened up the release/pressure screw?