XM Fettling - And Now, The End is Near?

wesacosa

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Nice!  Getting to be rare cars now.  Nice colour too.

They're a car I've always fancied...but shied away from because of complexity.

...Then ended up with a Xantia...Activa.  Oh...and a V12 Jag XJ-S.  Yeah.

Ooh, a Xantia Activa. Would love a go in one of those.

• wesacosa changed the title to XM arrival, Growing job list

given I can't drive it until the new V5 comes , this isn't a full jobs list but so far found the following issues

LCD screen not working (TADTS, and can apparently be fixed)

Chirping noise, seems to be alternator or belt. Belt looks very worn

No evidence of a cambelt change so will need to be done

Drivers electric window dead

Passenger electric window makes noise but doesn't move

Heater fan dead

ABS light on

LHM puddle on drive , initial inspection suggest brake valve as under the scuttle is full of fluid

20210423_163650.jpg

20210423_163657.jpgnew o ring and end cap ordered so fingers crossed that fixes it

Steering seemed a bit notchy when I pulled it on the drive so after watching one of @dollywobbler's videos from his XM ownership I think a fluid change and filter clean might be in order

Oil and filter change and then hopefully a proper road test can be done

Can't wait :)

• wesacosa changed the title to XM arrival, Snagging list
26 minutes ago, dean36014 said:

I might have a brand new heater fan in a box I'd be willing to sell. Mine I believe is for an Aircon model. It's easy enough to remove under the glovebox

cheers. I haven't checked the obvious yet like wires and fuse but will give you a shout if the fan turns out to be Donald ducked

2 minutes ago, artdjones said:

It might be worth doing a Hydraurinçage flush as part of the fluid change/filter clean. Then all the bits and pieces deposited in the system will end up in the filters and will be removed when they are cleaned before putting the new LHM in.

yeah I was looking at that. looks like GSF still sell the flush so might give it a go

9 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

Sadly Hudraurinçage was discontinued a few years ago. If you do find some old stock, it would be worth doing a  1500 miles or so with it  

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10128&sid=9548a63c2b34c4ef462fe82bce953b59

ah yes.GSF still show it on the website but when you try and buy it , there is no stock :(

8 minutes ago, wesacosa said:

ah yes.GSF still show it on the website but when you try and buy it , there is no stock :(

These guys in NL seem to have some, it might be worth a call to double check shipping. I’m sure it will be pricey as there is import duty and administration charges for EU —> UK shipments now. 

https://www.vintage-citroen.com/a-50947251/hydraulics-spheres/total-hydraurincage-5-liter/#

• wesacosa changed the title to XM Fettling - Mixed first day

First day free to so some fettling on the XM, and the news is mixed

First time I started it up since I bought it and it fired instantly with no smoking or coughing.  Filling up the LHM has put the "stop" light off and the heater blower seems to be working  now , although I didn't do anything to it

I decided to have a go at the leaking brake doseur valve, hoping it the button seal.  First job was to depressurise the system, which involves dropping it to lowest setting and then cracking the pressure bleed valve on the regulator. I would love to meet the person who decided where that pressure valve lives as its almost impossible to get at from engine bay, and almost impossible to get from underneath when car is on lowest setting.   

Managed to get it done but found some LHM around the bottom of the pressure regulator, its not pudding onto the floor but its definitely damp around that area 🤦🏼

next up was to get to the doseur valve (brake master cylinder for those not au fait with the hydropneumatic suspension, like me !!)

Easy enough to get to on a RHD as its all in the scuttle, but I believe a pain on the LHD

20210423_163657.jpgThree bolts and the bracket from the brake pedal lever is removed, then two bolts and the cylinder is free from the car. Looked promising as the fluid was definitely leaking from around the seal, and the seal is not OEM (which are black) but a cheap ebay one. looking good.

20210430_150108.jpg

However after prising off the hog ring and withdrawing the seal its clear quite a bit of fluid seems to be getting into the chamber past the O ring sitting behind that circlip. Given that the button seal is the usual source of a leak I assume some fluid must be able to get into that chamber but I am not sure how much.  Some of those O rings are still available and some are obsolete

20210430_151629.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about the area around the pressure regulator etc looking slightly damp.  LHM has an incredible ability to creep over time, so even the tiniest weep will spread out over an area.  So long as it's not actively *wet* or dripping you should be fine.

At least it's less obnoxious when that valve leaks on the XM.  On the Xantia it fills the driver's footwell up with LHM, which does a lovely job of dissolving the carpet underlay and sound deadening into a horrific sticky, tarry molten mess.

also some slight bending on the ring which secures the rubber button cap in place, which are now obsolete by Citroen :(

can see how parts supply on stuff like this is going to kill these cars off. Finding a lot of stuff like these brake valve seals and ABS sensor just aren't made anymore 

20210430_164552.jpg

1 hour ago, wesacosa said:

also some slight bending on the ring which secures the rubber button cap in place, which are now obsolete by Citroen :(

can see how parts supply on stuff like this is going to kill these cars off. Finding a lot of stuff like these brake valve seals and ABS sensor just aren't made anymore 

20210430_164552.jpg

Yep, legacy parts support from PSA is pretty shocking.  That's likely what will see the Activa off as my daily... Which will suck because I've not the foggiest idea what's competent enough at absolutely everything to replace it!

I think what the problem is you need to fit the retainer into the seal first then push them in together, ideally with something like a big socket. If you fit the seal then try to push the retainer in it won’t work.

Hopefully you can straighten the retainer out a bit first.

2 minutes ago, jonathan_dyane said:

I think what the problem is you need to fit the retainer into the seal first then push them in together, ideally with something like a big socket. If you fit the seal then try to push the retainer in it won’t work.

Hopefully you can straighten the retainer out a bit first.

yeah I was going to try that next, until I wrecked the seal, although the guides I saw on Citroen forums suggested they didn't go in together, but I pushed the ring until my fingers hurt and would not budge a mm further. I think the ring is not great but it's quite tough so not sure it will bend back that easy. 

14 minutes ago, jonathan_dyane said:

I know I have one somewhere, I will have a look on Monday but I can’t promise I can locate it…

cheers mate, although I think I have found one online ( the only place showing any stock) I have ordered so will see if something arrives !!