Peugeot 205 GTI found. Now being resurrected.

Daviemck2006

I put a spanner onto the crankshaft pulley, the engine turns freely, so that's a good sign. The passenger side sill is not cut off and appears to be whole. The drivers sill is cut off, theres a couple crusty bits on the inner sill. The front panel just looks to be surface rust, the drivers inner wing is fine, the passenger side inner wing has a crusty bit on the front edge. There is one hole in the floor I can see from inside, there is some localised patches of corrosion I can see underneath, but we wont know how bad until it gets on the ramp. It will get onto it for a look within a week or so.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

It's taken a while to organise but part 1 of the necessary work to get this going will be starting in the next week. It's been a major headache getting someone to take on the welding of it. The guy, who has worked in a bodyshop for 25 years, doing welding both on rusty and damaged cars recons that he will have it done in two days or less, that's just the cutting out and welding, I have to prepare it for the job, which will not be difficult, and then I will have to do the rustproofing, and painting once he is done. I am quite happy doing this. Then it will be the other bits needed to get it roadworthy, needs a wheel bearing, a couple brake pipes, and the brakes freed off and serviced. The biggest problem is I have an operation on my right hand a week on Tuesday, which will put me completely out of the game for doing stuff like this for a while, it may be that my hand will be in plaster for up to 6 weeks. I can only hope that the welding is done and the rust proofing done before I am out of commission. It's never going to be a show car, but I'm aiming for a tidy runner.

Heres the bits needing the sparkly stick. Drivers sill, both inner wings three bits on the floor. Also two jacking points that I haven't took pics of. The front panel will be fine with a bit of cure rust and wire brusk in the grinder. This should be getting done this weekend. I am into hospital for an operation on my right hand on Tuesday so I will be out of commission for probably a few weeks after that, but we have been waiting 6 years plus for this to be done, so what's another few weeks?2e97582d23fdcafcaf088d5ae6d0f91c.jpgb4e7c03c6bad480347da7777ead905bf.jpgab91d5f1403c681db0418a102497625f.jpgcc9ea5d25debc5597bf70ab291308d82.jpgf6bf88d519eaba51370d9ae13acd46d8.jpg372d0d5216f204060b3269d131052992.jpga54452fe08326072097dc20303e22aa2.jpgb4b46a2e793a7d29cbba5245a0d32663.jpg

• Daviemck2006 changed the title to Peugeot 205 GTI found. Now being resurrected.

He says theres nothing difficult, just it's a PITA as the petrol tank now needs removed. The man has 25 years experience in a body shop, rebuilding after accidents and chasing rust. He was looking at rusty spots and was like that's a hole or thars not a hole just looking at it, and was right every time. Once he has finished welding I shall wire brush the entire floor, inside and out and prime and paint it all before underselling the outside. It will not be a concourse job like some done on here but it will be good enough for a tidy runner.

Tha last one I had, a 93k1.6auto had no rust. Not a drop. I shouldnt have sold it really, but just fancied a change at the time. It was bought by a young lad who stripped it to a bare shell to build a rally car powered by a Honda type r engine and box.

What a great story and a lovely looking car you have there, none of that rust looks really bad plus considering it's spent time in a barn in Scotland it's done really well. 

Anyone telling you it's only worth £2k as is knows nothing, even a shell and logbook would probably fetch that let alone a complete car. 

If that's done nice you could see 5 figures without much fuss. 

55 minutes ago, vaughant said:

What a great story and a lovely looking car you have there, none of that rust looks really bad plus considering it's spent time in a barn in Scotland it's done really well. 

Anyone telling you it's only worth £2k as is knows nothing, even a shell and logbook would probably fetch that let alone a complete car. 

If that's done nice you could see 5 figures without much fuss. 

I hope you are right as mine where  £1500 for the 1.6 gti and £2000 for the 2 litre turbo gti although that one is interior less with a cage,   

The weldathon is nearly finished. Just a bit at the front of the drivers side inner wing to do. There was quite a bit more than expected, but then chasing rust on a 31 year old 205 was only ever going to find more. Rain has stopped play for this weekend. He is sitting about 20 hours welding just now, it's good that I'm getting mates rates and paying as we go along. When we found tha car again we were budgeting maybe a grand for welding and a grand for decommissioning everything else but now hoping about a grand in total. Even if it is 2 grand it will be one very cheap 205 gti.

The weldathon is finished. 3 and 1/2 days welding by a guy who worked as a fabricator in a body shop for 25 years. Cost £240. Mates rates lol. Had I been paying labour rates at a garage I would say it would have been over a grand. Its getting a covering of red lead primer over all the new steel and welds then it will be left until my hand is in working order until further work will be done. The car was lost for long enough, another month or more wont make any difference!