PT Cruisers - share the good and bad

Dick Longbridge

20 minutes ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Is that the one in Bristol? Use to turn up at Queen Square breakfast club.

It use to live in Fishponds, near my parents.

It is,according to the Facebook group I found it on.Number plate says it's Discovery based.

10 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

They're always owned by a fat bloke who wears a leather jacket with tassels. Loves Elvis and him and his wife go dogging. 

I all ways thought of the PT Cruiser as the car belonging to people who call themselves "Conrad" at the weekends and enjoy line dancing and oreo's.

I had a PT, as I have mentioned on other threads. I fully understand everyone's differing opinions about them. I will admit it was a bucket list car I always wanted and I'm glad I had one, I really like the styling. Yes some ' enthusiasts ' can make them look so much better* but  fairly standard one looks good in my book. The only thing I didn't like about it was the absolute shit MPGs, my god it was a thirsty thing. Would I have another? A big part of me says yes, but after doing over 700 miles in a Vectra this week at 44mpg when the PT would scrape 28 on a good day the financial part of me says no.

Prices seem to be rising for them now so maybe more people are beginning to like them, or is it that modern cars are just awfully styled?

Screenshot_20181121-100539.png

11 hours ago, maxxo said:

I really don't understand the absolute hatred people seem to have for these

i like them

they're different, stand out and they're interesting

certainly more interesting than an equivelant golf etc

I believe it is not the looks people hate, it is shitty engineering. I mean, when it comes to cars with "retro looks", those which are technically sound are generally beloved - New Beetle, 500 etc.

Well, not all of them - think Pluriel. I wonder how many of them sold after it appeared in that TG hall of infamy.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:36 PM, Mudster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Dollywobblers current PT cruiser is ex Ted Connolly. Think there's a Kelsey connection there. 

Always enjoyed Ted's column (even if he did like his PT cruisers!)

I don't think it is ex Ted Connolly, Ted's were a 51 reg, 57 reg and 08 reg IIRC

19 hours ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

I all ways thought of the PT Cruiser as the car belonging to people who call themselves "Conrad" at the weekends and enjoy line dancing and oreo's.

I really don't get oereos. They're just a really she bourbon.

I could definitely see myself in a drop top one with the Bob Harris show on the radio.

How well did they sell? I presume a fair few compared to if they'd just stuck a Chrysler badge on a generic family car. But perhaps it's just because they stand out it seems there were a lot of them on the road?