Galantly Stupid

Supernaut

• 2 weeks later...
Currently awaiting V5 turning up and then the collection, pending some new uncracked tyres, can get underway.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Still awaiting the V5 unfortunately. Given that the car is SORNed and registered to an address way much further south taking the car north would be risky as it would inevitably get tugged after pinging an ANPR. Frustrating for all but we're at the DVLA's mercy unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

There's potential here to make this into double trouble.

I like the look of this rather a lot: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105263128158

I've even phoned the seller and they're willing to hold it for a fortnight with a £200 deposit. I have the bank details sitting right here.

They've got good reviews on autotrader, and the MOT history speaks for itself. The address is just a house, however the photos appear to have been taken outside the Earls Court Exhibition Centre. This is about 100 yards from the address provided, just round the corner.

Do I go for it? I'm thinking it would be a replacement for the BMW 316 (which is getting somewhat grotty and tired).

3 hours ago, worldofceri said:

@St.Jude on here has one of those for sale.

Mine is the povvo spec with the 1.3 engine and only the 5 gears. Although I don't think 6th makes a massive difference.

But if one wants a challenge, a mate is scrapping his 5 door Corolla with the 1.6 VVT engine. Which would definitely fit mine...

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

There's potential here to make this into double trouble.

I like the look of this rather a lot: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202105263128158

I've even phoned the seller and they're willing to hold it for a fortnight with a £200 deposit. I have the bank details sitting right here.

They've got good reviews on autotrader, and the MOT history speaks for itself. The address is just a house, however the photos appear to have been taken outside the Earls Court Exhibition Centre. This is about 100 yards from the address provided, just round the corner.

Do I go for it? I'm thinking it would be a replacement for the BMW 316 (which is getting somewhat grotty and tired).

Looks tidy and well priced

No Corolla for me.

I made contact yesterday to discuss a deposit, and they sent me their bank details immediately.

I took a day to think about it, and phoned them today to say I'm going to go for it.

Nope. Mid-sentence the guy cuts me off, tells me he gave me the bank details yesterday so I should have just done it. That's not how he runs a business, etc. etc. and just hung up.

Appropriately shitty review left on Autotrader. Exactly the sort of behaviour expected from a 'trader' using a residential address and a mobile number.

The car is even still available and still advertised, FFS. If he'd been patient he'd have a sale, but nooooo. I apparently besmirched his honour or somesuch. He can go fish.

Remember the name, Bel Autos. Most of the 5-star reviews of them seem somewhat fake.

• Supernaut changed the title to Galantly Stupid - DOUBLE JEOPARDY
48 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Ooh, T-Sport?

'Tis not Japanese.

All shall be revealed... whenever I pick it up. It was sold on here, so the seller is sympathetic towards the silly collection mission on an as-yet undetermined timescale. If the paperwork for the Galant doesn't move forwards in the next few days I'll just book a flight to Brum myself and do a solo collection though.

• 1 month later...

So it been awhile since the galant topic was update, So the collection and drive back up has been completed! Thanks to @rantingYoof

For looking after the galant for far too long but the journey from Northampton to Aberdeenshire it was like driving a sofa comfy, soft but certainly not boring

It's been dumped on my driveway as of this afternoon...

IMG_20210703_165513206.thumb.jpg.c87398573bac19bc1885a2ffe2eb282d.jpg

I'd be lying if I said any of us in our group though it would make it up without a hitch, but thankfully it did the trip with no bothers. Also it's as tidy as described which I'll be honest amazed me! I'll be seeing about giving it a good clean & polish 'soon', giving it a good once over & touching up a few things. 

Since it's on my drive though, I'm allowed to use it every so often just to keep it moving. So I took it out for a shakedown in the evening...

DSCN2896.thumb.JPG.f7a0202577437f56bd7ea2d16571f593.JPG

DSCN2894.thumb.JPG.f8d3ac773c7914f35ed7f9f8cfe61b90.JPG

DSCN2899.thumb.JPG.2a3c799710b6993b4c40f0a706d6904c.JPG

It drives rather well to drive and is rather comfy inside and couldn't hear or feel anything alarming. It feels a little 'wobbly' but admittedly that's mostly because I've been driving nothing but the Abarth for the last year and a half. 

I gotta say, it appears to be a good un! 😎

• Supernaut changed the title to Galantly Stupid
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a small poke around of it on behalf of @Saltyscotsman and so far results have been rather good. Noted a few potential issues but so far nothing serious! I took it for an extended run to the shops today to give it a run...image0.thumb.jpg.da03762e805420f8e809ed1573ad51e5.jpg

Think I'll need to get a bottle of Back2Black and bill Salty for it! But majestic otherwise in the carpark! 😎

After that I gave it a clean...

1661226844_image0(1).thumb.jpg.baeededa1698ca1ab6c5edb9087905fa.jpg

Came out good, although as expected can now see 20x's more small scratch's in the paint. I'll also need to get the tar remover out for the front. What was of most relief was jet washing the wheel arches and finding them in good condition! Especially the rears and how much crap was in them! 

Had the fun conversation twice today with different neighbours  while cleaning it, along the lines of "I see you added another to the collection" followed by explaining how its not mine but a mate to which they burst out laughing and then complemented the car. Not bad. 

My wife had a Galant 5 door, same age as this in a dark green metallic. The level of engineering and attention to detail was head and shoulders above the other Japanese manufacturers at the time, even down to the controls on the air vents.

The whole 'balancer shaft' thing sounded like a gimmick but actually made the 2Litre 4 cylinder feel to me at least, as smooth as any 6.

A great car replaced by one of the last of the V6s, which turned out to be equally great.

• 2 months later...

Smoll update.

Due to a change of circumstances on my end, that is me letting out my spare room, the car has left my driveway. 

607B2FA0-F13B-4D13-8B2D-996CEB0B2562.thumb.jpeg.d053899159c078d38665ba209502b043.jpeg

Bye bye Galant, you…er…gallant car! 

It’s now fully with the owner, that’s @Saltyscotsman. :) 

Ive left him a snag list of things that should be seen to and a empty tin of spam and n the glovebox.