Spurious' Jimny thread. Probable blocked 🐱

Spurious

So as some may have guessed, the Primera formerly of @dollywobblerhas found a new home... 

It's here, currently in Manchester. It's going to be the work bus for the next year hopefully. 

I hadn't anticipated swapping the C5, but some things have changed particularly around the house move which have freed up a little cash, so I didn't absolutely need to sell it for money.

I've always had a soft spot for the P11. My dad had a wine red one, a 2.0 and he was quite fond of it. It also had a spoiler and looked cool when I was young.  

Initial impressions of the Primera; 

It's pokey. It's quick enough but doesn't shift properly until about 4k rpm, it can be a busy motor. 

It's gearing is quite tall in 5th. It's only doing a little over 3k rpm at an indicated 80mph.  I wonder if the ratios were shortened a bit would it improve the low down grunt, @dollywobbler wasn't too impressed by its lack of torque in the low range. It's drivable but it's not like a diesel. But then you'd lose the cruising ability. 

The radio is crap. The screen is dead and I've no idea when my Bluetooth dongle is tuned in. Oh well. 

Handels well. Like really well. It's certainly different than the C5, it's got a more positive turn in (but it's a far smaller car) and sticks quite well. However, the tyres are getting on a bit, and I think that'll be the first purchase. The current ones are starting to crack and perish with age. 

The bodywork is full of swirl marks and some scrapes, but it's far from terrible. I do bet that there's a good shine hiding beneath it. It's black so it does show dirt easily so I think there will be some polishing going on. 

Can't speak for fuel economy yet. I've only driven it 90 miles and most of that I was giving it beans. 

1 minute ago, Kiltox said:

I really liked my P11 Primera in a AN CAR kind of way. 

Yea, they're not unique or particularly different and the styling was quite understated despite being a solid car beneath (and having a rather good twin cam engine).  Bit like a decent washing machine, you don't really have to think too hard, it'll get the job done. 

So the hit list

• Tyres. 4 of them. I've got a 20% discount on Halfords tyres by NHS discount. Looking at 50-60 a corner. 
  • There's a belt squeal on startup and low speed work round town. Might just need a nip up  SORTED
  • The radio needs swapping, got a Sony Bluetooth one off eBay for £30 so that's not too bad SORTED
  • Service. Got 4 spark plugs for £3.78 with ECP. They're probably the wrong ones but for that cheap worth a go SORTED
  • The bodywork needs a deep polish. I suspect it'll come up right. Might need mechanical tools for that.  (IN PROGRESS)

And that's it really. 

1 minute ago, Fumbler said:

Nissan's radios from that era really did have an issue with the screens. I had to replace the one in the Micra for the exact same reason.

They're also paired to the ECU right? So a random one off eBay won't work as far as I remember. 

8 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Nissan's radios from that era really did have an issue with the screens. I had to replace the one in the Micra for the exact same reason.

They did. My mate had a GT from new, immaculate thing and looked ace as a white 4dr with its TSW Imola's. Even that had a duff screen.

I had a 4dr P11 1600Si for my first car and kept it for years. SR20 converted it, imported brand new JDM headlights for it at a cost of £1K GBP, bought a random JDM import SR18 car from the side of the road for its folding mirrors and black dash etc etc.

Imagine doing that, now. 🤣

As said, they do handle great. Mine used to reguarly drop a Cavalier GSi belonging to a mate, on the twisties.

Someone at my work has a clean GTLE, red 4dr. The main thing that strikes me about them now is how small they are!

Good luck with yours. I have NOS windscreen  weather trims here somewhere, if you need them.

2 hours ago, Out Run said:

They did. My mate had a GT from new, immaculate thing and looked ace as a white 4dr with its TSW Imola's. Even that had a duff screen.

I had a 4dr P11 1600Si for my first car and kept it for years. SR20 converted it, imported brand new JDM headlights for it at a cost of £1K GBP, bought a random JDM import SR18 car from the side of the road for its folding mirrors and black dash etc etc.

Imagine doing that, now. 🤣

As said, they do handle great. Mine used to reguarly drop a Cavalier GSi belonging to a mate, on the twisties.

Someone at my work has a clean GTLE, red 4dr. The main thing that strikes me about them now is how small they are!

Good luck with yours. I have NOS windscreen  weather trims here somewhere, if you need them.

Cripes the lights are pricy. 

What's the weather trim, the bit about the wipers? Mines quite faded with the sun 

Screenshot_20210417_110514_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

11 hours ago, Spurious said:

They're also paired to the ECU right? So a random one off eBay won't work as far as I remember. 

I think with the P11 you're fine, like with the prefacelift K11 Micras. I remember reading about the same problem a couple years ago when I replaced my radio. I think it only affects vehicles post 2000? I forget, but your Primera will be fine.

Just now, Fumbler said:

I think with the P11 you're fine, like with the prefacelift K11 Micras. I remember reading about the same problem a couple years ago when I replaced my radio. I think it only affects vehicles post 2000? I forget, but your Primera will be fine.

It's probably alright, I got a second hand Sony head unit with Bluetooth because I do like a podcast whilst driving. 

1 minute ago, Spurious said:

It's probably alright, I got a second hand Sony head unit with Bluetooth because I do like a podcast whilst driving. 

Yeah you'll be just fine. Truth be told, my sister's long dead Micra from 2000 had an aftermarket radio in it which worked just fine. It was probably the only thing in the car that actually worked correctly. Because I'm an originality perv I found a radio from an earlier Micra to bung into my car- who needs bluetooth when I can play chrome tapes with Dolby noise reduction?😅

8 hours ago, Spurious said:

Cripes the lights are pricy. 

What's the weather trim, the bit about the wipers? Mines quite faded with the sun 

Screenshot_20210417_110514_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

I meant to say just windscreen trim, but started typing weather stripping lol.

the plastic bits that push and screw into the top and sides of the screen surround, to hide the edges.

Yeah. There's an HID version of the lights, with black internals and also matching fogs, too.

7 hours ago, Fumbler said:

This. No ECU coding.

I briefly worked at a Nissan main dealer back in the early 00's as a valeter. An I got to drive alot of these Primera's when they were traded in etc.

I echo your driving impression's too. They are great cars and much nicer imo than its successor.

Whenever I see one, I'm always reminded of the BTCC and the Max Power sponsored Primera. As driven by Matt Neal.

image.png.467e9d8bf5162e732ccf18307b0383e0.png

I got a decent Sony Bluetooth head unit off the eBay yesterday. Got the box from the parcel point in the local Argos. Big aul box for a head unit, it was able to rattle about, I was a little suspicious. 

I was right to be. The screen was now cracked and it's now had something plasticy rattling on the front plate and a dent in the side because the seller couldn't be bothered wrapping it right. 

Shame. 

Never mind. Had a quick look at face ache market place. Shouldn't have bothered. Another Sony one described as perfect but when I got there the facia clips were broke and it was only one side that was holding the front of the radio on. I'd have gone over a ramp and the radio would have fallen off. Wastedan hour in total driving to it. 

Pissed off now I just went to Halfords plus the 10% discount got a Sony Bluetooth mechless unit for £63, twenty quid more than the eBay second hand one. 

IMG_20210419_201252.jpg