Spurious' Jimny thread. Probable blocked 🐱

Spurious

So making some progress tonight. Some. 

This is certainly a job where having a two poster lift would be ideal. And would have quicker too. 

It took a bit of creativity, wooden boards and axle stands to get this far.  My axle stands aren't long enough for 4wd use. 

Drivers side spring won't take much to get out, I'll try strip the other side and see if loosening the passenger side ARB link will let the live axle it drop a wee bit further. Otherwise danger compressors will be needed from somewhere tomorrow. Probably to get them on but only needed to shorten them slightly. 

Hopefully. 

Looking a whole lot better now. 

20230212_200319.thumb.jpg.077146c35da1568b4e31924c4449ad65.jpg

2x springs replaced this afternoon/evening. 

Lots of chassis wax where it needs to go. 

Surprisingly, no stripped or rounded bolts. Plusgas and 24hrs makes all the difference. The Lidl ugga dugga helped I'm sure too. 

The rear shock came free without too much fuss. It's a shame I'd literally only last week changed the exhaust and had it apart which would have made access a whole lot better, but you can do them on the ground without taking anything other than the two securing bolts off. The top bolt is tight for access, you just about have enough room to get the 1/2" ratchet in there. Just. 

But it came out in the end, in fact they all did and enough to reuse them all with a bit of wire brushing and copper grease.. 

Just now, Spurious said:

Looking a whole lot better now. 

20230212_200319.thumb.jpg.077146c35da1568b4e31924c4449ad65.jpg

2x springs replaced this afternoon/evening. 

Lots of chassis wax where it needs to go. 

Surprisingly, no stripped or rounded bolts. Plusgas and 24hrs makes all the difference. The Lidl ugga dugga helped I'm sure too. 

The rear shock came free without too much fuss. It's a shame I'd literally only last week changed the exhaust and had it apart which would have made access a whole lot better, but you can do them on the ground without taking anything other than the two securing bolts off. The top bolt is tight for access, you just about have enough room to get the 1/2" ratchet in there. Just. 

But it came out in the end, in fact they all did and enough to reuse them all with a bit of wire brushing and copper grease.. 

Going to have to properly get under it and see where the MOT man isn't happy with the rear brake pipe. It's the one pipe supplying both rear brakes, there's only dual circuits on the front. Apparently it's the pipe before the rear regulator running along the chassis. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I should mention that the Jimny is unwell. 

It sounds like it's choked up and I was getting multiple fault codes for emissions and exhaust recirculation system too. It wasn't running at all well and would stall itself. 

It's been unwell for a few months but it's only now I've managed to get a start on things. 

I pulled out the O2 sensor on the combined manifold/cat, this is prior to the first cat. The second is in the exhaust system and that's what I suspect is choked up and collapsed. 

The first stage has collapsed before with others, then it goes downstream into the second stage, but this looks okay to me being honest. Can't get a better view with my borescope but it seems fine, 

Which is a good thing as they're £400 pounds new. The second stage cat is cheaper with a knock off part being £100ish. 

Next step is to split the system and see what's going on with the second stage cat. 

Screenshot_20231105_174255_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f413339bd317b507d3686d6f019815fd.jpg

• Spurious changed the title to Spurious' Jimny thread. Probable blocked 🐱