Spurious' Jimny thread. Probable blocked 🐱

Spurious

It's fixed. 

It must have been going for a while that gearbox and I just got acclimatised to the noise. It's almost silent to drive if a Jimny could be such a thing. 

New sealed bearings all round. Jobs a good'un. Also good tip with the cable @goosey, it's now an easy shift with the new Exedy clutch. Pricy, but worth getting fixed. With the way the used car market is now, it's worth more than I paid for it 3 years ago. 

It's definitely refreshed my interest in it. 

A to do list for the Jimny to prepare it for the winter coming. 

• Clean the underside. I've a powerhose available but it needs a hose. 
  • Wax the underside with Lanogaurd. 
  • Service it (manly mannol 5w30 is in the post). 
  • Perhaps extend the seat runners for tall people. 

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Spurious said:

They really did work well. I have a much belated thread update coming. 

Aces, always look forward to a Jimny update 👍🏻

we fitted a Liana 1.6 to my sons Jimny the other weekend which has improved performance massively 

Smol Suzuki update done over the winter. It's been a reliable winter car so far apart from one hiccup. 

After getting the gearbox and the clutch fixed, it was pressed into a lot of use, generally commuting to work. It's okay, I'd continue to use it, just a wee bit thirsty, low 30mpgs.

Generally a useful foul weather car, helpful through the snow in the bad weather last month 

IMG_20211128_192052.thumb.jpg.4a07193de1b7d3b75edc62086f338c4c.jpgIMG_20211127_063330.thumb.jpg.6fb73d4e406b879ac181aec49ee69042.jpg

I put some seat rail extenders that @goosey mentioned, absolutely the best £60 I ever soent in it. Dramatically improved the comfort, honestly don't know why I never fitted them sooner. 

Please ignore the clutter but demonstrating the extra legroom 

IMG_20211020_173324.thumb.jpg.a8c443934cf07e08687e85400455552f.jpg

Next to get tackled was the speakers. These are utter crap from the factory, very tinny. 

Off to halfords and got some £25 Pioneers. Had some time soldering connections as non-standard plugs and job jobbed. An hours job including finding the sodding iron in a random box. 

Nothing speaks like QWALITY ASSURED like 15w no name rusty speakers. The BigJimny wiki seems to think that they came with Sanyo 20w speakers but I didnt even get those 🤣

IMG_20211104_134016.thumb.jpg.1ca9bc9153aed8d8d213266c0dbe8b40.jpg

Anyway, they were dumped into the fuckit bucket never to be seen again. 

IMG_20211104_162843.thumb.jpg.929b2d3f9a11aa9652c5d9711054dd47.jpg

IMG_20211104_164314.thumb.jpg.7a35a943431138d773767c7b684ddb1d.jpgIMG_20211104_163019.thumb.jpg.9b913a07bd7b39a5f04b06a2c93bf562.jpg

IMG_20211104_120007.jpg

Next the Stereo. Not a bad unit, a Clarion. It's got good reception and sounds okay, but it's a unique fit to the Jimny for the dash. No real way to add an aux in or Bluetooth without a faffy CD changer adapter. Ideally I'd replace it with a Double Din unit. 

I'd made an impuse purchase whilst in Halfords, a Sony Single DIN display unit for £40. Bluetooth and DAB, so not bad really. These usually sell for £100 so I just needed the harnesses. After some ebay purchases I ended up with a adapter plate and some harnesses. 

The bad thing is that the Single DIN unit sits futher into the dash than the factory one leaving a bit of a hole in the dash. I'll have to have a think about this long term. Perhaps a decent Double din unit would fill it out. But for the meantime I've got Bluetooth. Small wins and all that. 

IMG_20220121_120721.jpg

IMG_20220121_120742.jpg

Some rustproofing of the rear chassis was next before the winter gloom set in. And that's just me. I need to get the rest done at some point but it's not terrible under there but it will need seeing to before surface rust turns to rot like is the fate of many a Jimny. 

Lanogaurd was the proofer of choice but it's really a summer job and not something for an evening in the cold. 

Also discovered the back box has a great big split in it. I'll have to order one soon as its MOT is up in April. 

IMG_20220121_122052.jpg

IMG_20220121_122040.jpg

Lastly, an odd misfire. It had been having a rare misfire, generally when cold, it would struggle badly and be down on power massively. Happened once on the M62 going uphill and I'd to actually drive in the hard shoulder, it wouldn't pull more than 25mph. Not ideal nor safe. 

Like the best of intermittent problems, it didn't throw up any codes or engine lights. 

Then it got far more regular. Once it did throw up a light but it was just an O2 sensor. I had to sort this. 

Couple of culprits; crank sensors or coil packs. Given that one coil pack feeds a pair of cylinders, I started with that. Denso pack ordered off Autodoc, delivered in ten days or so. 

Managed to catch it on video, deffo sounds like its running on two cylinders here, so I figured a coil pack would be a place to start. 

Took a 50:50 chance and replaced one of the packs. Drove it for a few days and problem is still there. Replaced the other bank and touch wood, 3 weeks on and it's working fine. 

It also got treated to a service a few weeks back. Nice to have the wee garage, but it helps not a lot with the cold. I'll have to do something with organisation of space and light in here.  Could do with a few more lights wiring in.  Genuine Suzuki filters for not a lot on ebay, helps to search by part numbers every so often.  But it's actually a Mahle filter so that's what's going on it afterwords.  Also the cheapest finest Mannol, found an ebay seller who has free 24hr delivery for 5 litres.  I'd like the 20l drums but the Audi runs 10w40 and the Suzuki 5w30 so I'd need two and that's a lot of space.

IMG_20211018_151835.thumb.jpg.ffe07ef821eafbee8c91fa5df50b986f.jpg

IMG_20211018_151853.thumb.jpg.2e9b4b3802e36f104e0a1f80f4ef9e5c.jpg

IMG_20211018_154230.thumb.jpg.931ea8bba12e30a78488cc264e366c30.jpg

You can see the coil packs here. Autodoc far and away the cheapest for a Denso (OEM). Didn't want to take a chance putting a chineese ebay one on it and still be broke.

IMG_20211018_152444.thumb.jpg.eec0a23903ca3f493243a786c3c8bd8d.jpg

• Spurious changed the title to The Jimny and Primera thread. Some winter updates...

And now for the Nissan.

I've blown hot and cold with this recently, and in reality It's been kicking my arse a little bit.  I don't know what it is about brakes, but they always seem to go wrong with me during the cold weather.  Or before an MOT. Both in this case.  I've just been flat out with work and just having complete apathy to do stuff with cars in this weather.  It's morale draining having cars that a proving somewhat troublesome recently.

So here I am out in the 0c weather over the past few days wondering why

A. The front offside caliper seems to be sticking. 

B. The handbrake only works on one wheel.

Not sure what's going on with this caliper, it's a replacement from a 2020 looking at the MOT history, probably a cheap ebay one.  I'd already replaced the pads on the front and regreased the pins back in May when I got the car but it's causing problems once again.  I thought that I'd replace the caliper but I chanced a rebuild kit from big redd.  New seals and boots on the caliper and it seems to be working.  There's no squeal from the brakes and the wheels are an equal temp after a drive.  I'm calling that a win. 

IMG_20211216_135638.thumb.jpg.0ccb56359d6b7e0bf02aa709261291d8.jpg

I do like calipers with banjo unions.  You can always get a six sided socket on them for extra torque. 

IMG_20211216_135643.thumb.jpg.18f65720beb2bc670c53e11b9cca514c.jpg

Patent pending "anti-leak wooden plank" whilst quickly replacing the seals.

IMG_20211217_150029.thumb.jpg.ce369b85799ae4b95d949746ef1eec31.jpg

The handbrake is a bigger issue and a clear MOT fail I would think.  The handbrake is effectively useless on big hills recently.  Initially I was thinking the cable feels a big slack but further investigation shows that the mech in the caliper is properly sluggish and siezed up.  So one wheel stops and the other works.  Not great for hill starts.  Again, looking at the MOT history, this seemed to be an issue in the past, probably on the opposite side where there is a newer looking caliper.

The folks on the NPOC forum seem to agree that it's a common fault and if a bit of WD40 doesn't loosen them up, replacements are needed.

image.thumb.png.fe447a143b3961db9b82860a64a22832.png

and for £25, it's not worth fannying about with it.  Just put a new one on it...

Here's the other side and what it should be doing.  The bad one is siezed tight.

I think after the MOT is done, it's up for sale.  I don't have the energy to have all the fleet in need of constant fettling to keep going.

10 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

ahh i see you mentioned npoc- you will find that primevils are not keen on having the maf cleaned on accout of them being a teeny bit delicate

there were a few that suffered greatly in the silicon in petrol fiasco some years ago

The MAF sensor died a whilst back. Took a chance on a spurious on eBay, the genuine Hitachi ones are silly money (£150) still. It's working fine.  It would struggle to idle when hot and bogged down badly. Touch wood, the spurious sensor is working perfectly at the moment. 

On 1/21/2022 at 3:39 PM, Spurious said:

The handbrake is a bigger issue and a clear MOT fail I would think.  The handbrake is effectively useless on big hills recently.  Initially I was thinking the cable feels a big slack but further investigation shows that the mech in the caliper is properly sluggish and siezed up.  So one wheel stops and the other works.  Not great for hill starts.  Again, looking at the MOT history, this seemed to be an issue in the past, probably on the opposite side where there is a newer looking caliper.

The folks on the NPOC forum seem to agree that it's a common fault and if a bit of WD40 doesn't loosen them up, replacements are needed.

image.thumb.png.fe447a143b3961db9b82860a64a22832.png

and for £25, it's not worth fannying about with it.  Just put a new one on it...

Here's the other side and what it should be doing.  The bad one is siezed tight.

I think after the MOT is done, it's up for sale.  I don't have the energy to have all the fleet in need of constant fettling to keep going.

Fixed this with a NOS caliper, genuine Nissan too. Bit of a faff to get the handbrake set right, the cable I reckon had been tensioned right up to compensate for the previous caliper doing not a lot. 

The first time I stood on the foot brake and ruined the adjustment by accident. 

Had to wind it in and out a couple of times and set it right with the handbrake and it's working grand now. 

Can stop on hills now, there's plenty of steep ones outside Huddersfield now... 

Good effort, you have to watch the cable setup with handbrakes as often there is a self-adjuster on the caliper which can't self-adjust if the cable is too tight.

Handbrake doesn't work on my XC90 but I'm putting it off as it's not a winter job. This is an auto so slightly easier to work around having no handbrake.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Good effort, you have to watch the cable setup with handbrakes as often there is a self-adjuster on the caliper which can't self-adjust if the cable is too tight.

Handbrake doesn't work on my XC90 but I'm putting it off as it's not a winter job. This is an auto so slightly easier to work around having no handbrake.

It was very troublesome getting the tension right, took far longer than it should have. Didnt help that I stood on the footbrake the first time 🙃 

The cable had been adjusted quite tight, the OSR caliper that I replaced, it's handbrake mech wouldn't return all the way to the stop bolt, so all the slack had been taken out to compensate, pretty much all of it had to removed to even get the new caliper to work right. 

I wouldn't be too worried if it were an auto, but theres too many hills about here, was slipping the clutch in Longwood getting about with the handbrake, not ideal. 

And yes, not a winter job. Brakes always fail on me during the winter for some reason, the Audi had a leaky caliper during it's MOT in January 2 years back and there I was out in the snow trying to fix it 💩

Never a warm dry day in June. 

• Spurious changed the title to Spurious' Jimny thread.

Jimny has been hiding in the garage for much of the summer. In preparation for ZOMG SNOW KAOS in the Pennines, preparation for it's MOT is ongoing. 

Not started it in about 10 weeks. Turn key and it jumps into life. God bless Japanese engineering and small fuel injected petrols for just working. 

Fucked back box was removed without much fuss. The crusty joint between the down pipe and the back box just fell apart when I gave it a good wobble. No angry grinder required. The downpipe actually unbolted from the 🐱 Cat without any fuss. I don't know if it was the plusgas or luck, I expected a battle... 

Whole job took an hour, including having a cup of tea whilst plusgas did its job. 

Didn't get the new one on as I'm missing some bolts to refit. 

20221113_143939.jpg

20221113_143941.jpg

On 11/14/2022 at 4:32 PM, Spurious said:

It was passed to @2MB, I know no more than that. 

I used it for a few months while I did some work on my Porsche, it gave me no problems and was great fun. I ended up with too many cars so advertised it for sale and got a message from a guy a couple of miles away who was supposedly desperate for a car. Delivered it to him and got a text the next morning asking if I still had the Nissan...? Turns out he'd sold it on straight away, presumably to a scrap man seeing as though @Spurious to me is the last keeper change and a certificate of destruction was issued. Presumably the cat was worth something but it was a 90s nissan with an SR20 and no rust, could have been reliable transport for years to come. Pissed me off to be honest

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2022 at 11:13 AM, Spurious said:

To do list 

• Fit new exhaust downpipe and back box. 
  • Lanoguard the underside whilst the exhaust is off. 
  • Make sure the brakes are free, the fronts have a habit of sticking on the Jimny 
  • MOT
  • Powerslide in the car park when it snows. 

Finished fitting the el cheapo back box today. It went on okay really. Doesn't sound anti social and is gas tight. 

Can't really complain too much then can we.  Total cost was about £150 for a new back box, down pipe and associated fittings. Probably saved myself about an hour's labour by doing it myself. 

See the difference between cheap shit part and new genuine gasket. 

Genuine one was £30 delivered though 🙁

20230204_155836.jpg

20230204_155943.jpg

20230121_163631.jpg

Underside has also had a liberal coating of sheep oil. I probably overdone the Lanoguard but Jimnys like turning to rusty spots on the ground in short order, so a bit of extra grease won't harm it I'm sure.  Also freed up the brakes. There's still loads of meat left on the pads and discs, so I stripped them, pumped the piston, winded it back in and made sure the sliders are still moving.

14 hours ago, Spurious said:

Underside has also had a liberal coating of sheep oil. I probably overdone the Lanoguard but Jimnys like turning to rusty spots on the ground in short order, so a bit of extra grease won't harm it I'm sure.  Also freed up the brakes. There's still loads of meat left on the pads and discs, so I stripped them, pumped the piston, winded it back in and made sure the sliders are still moving.

Did you do any prep before spraying or just put it on? Thinking about using it myself in summer.

image.thumb.png.18c01ac009e97561edc65ddcb28d3d9f.png

OOOF. Not good...

I didn't spot the springs, it looks like it was the bottom quarter turn on both had fractured off.  The OEM rear shocker sprung a leak on the way to the test centre predictably, no oil patch when I left home, pissing fluid after the test. 

I'm now £196 lighter after a visit to the local GSF for springs x2 and shocks x2. The Fun can commence. Hoping to do this without using spring compressors death traps, should be easy enough if I get the ARB off and jack the body up far enough.

The brakes are crap when you compare them to a modern.  But they lock up the ABS, so they're enough.  But yea, you really have to stamp on the anchors to make that happen (but that's me with 14 stone and cyclist legs).  BigJimny sells a vented disc and bigger caliper upgrade for 350 with everything, might invest in that next month considering this is getting fixed for Ms Spurious (who's not 14st or a cyclist).