How do you solve a problem like Meriva?

Dobloseven

Realised not long after we sold my sons Micra that I'd brought back to life and the 21 year old Fiesta that'd been hanging around for ages, that I needed a cheap old car in my life. I like stumble across cars, so after an unsuccessful attempt to locate the owner of an abandoned Ka I'd spotted on a dog walk, the Meriva appeared. My only experience of these unloved things was the TV adverts in the mid noughties with the kids playing adults"Ows the Meriva running? ". An elderly friend of the wife had died and his son had purloined his car, leaving his own Meriva on his mums drive. 120 pounds later and it was mine. Looked very tidy for a 54 reg. He'd told his mum there was a problem with the steering . Did some research and found it's a well known problem, but solvable if need be. The Mot was until June, so insured it temporarily and ran it for a couple of days to decide what to do with it. Started and ran well enough after having stood for a couple of weeks. Interior is tidy, just needs a clean and a broken air vent sorting. Front brakes down to the metal, heater ineffective, what seems to be a noisy front wheel bearing,high level brake light not working, but spare provided. The twin electric sunroofs work, along with the aircon. The alloy wheels are pretty good, with reasonable and matching tyres. Noticed a smell of petrol and a drip underneath which turned out to be a leaking fuel filter. No sign of any steering problem. Decided I could do something with it and hatched a plan.Would hopefully get it to a state where I'd be happy for me or a family member run it, and pass an Mot at my regular test station, all for a budget of 400 pounds including the purchase price. WCPGW? Plan is/was to sort out the brakes with new pads and discs front and rear,  sort the heating, which internet wisdom suggested was a thermostat problem, replace the fuel filter, sort the brake light, replace the broken air vent and a few bits and pieces and give it a thorough service. Biggest problem so far has been the thermostat. Mines a 1.6 8valve engine, with it tucked away behind the timing belt, so thought I might as well change that, along with the water pump and auxiliary belt, and the air and pollen filters. As I worked round the brakes, it gave me a chance to spot other issues, leaking rear shocks, corroded brake pipe, track rod end, driveshaft gaiters wheel bearing etc. The brake light problem was a broken wiring harness which had been bodged in the past. So far I'm just shy of 500 pounds and still need a front exhaust section amongst other bits. Still, I'm quite enjoying doing it, there's no real hurry, would like it to be ready to Mot before the end of May though. Aren't old cars fun? 

Anyone got any Meriva experiences? It's not something I've ever thought about, completely off my car radar. Seems to be viewed by many as a tall Corsa, but the engine choices seem different and the rear running gear seems to be Combo van. Looking round, now I've got one, there seems to be a few left running, in various states of decay. This one seems a bit of a limited edition, with the least powerful engine, but twin electric sunroofs, aircon, alloys, privacy glass(to save the shame of being seen in it), rear stereo controls etc. There's a well known problem with the electric steering, but if it shows up, I think I can see a solution. 

I’ve been running around in a 2014 Meriva for a couple of weeks, as a courtesy car from the garage. 

This one has the rear hinged back doors.

I didn’t know anything about these before now - they barely registered on my radar.

I’ve been quite impressed tbh. Huge boot with the rear bench folded down. The rear doors make lots of sense.

Just makes a lot of sense as a family wagon. And it’s not a bloody SUV!

Yours sounds like a potential bargain.

My Nan had a resale silver meriva brand new, 55plate. When she died in 2011 it had something like 5000 miles on it. And still smelt new inside. My mother had it for running to work and back and gave me and my brother her 54 plate A class merc and we flipped it. 
I still see the meriva about. It got traded in for a 1 series BMW and it stayed in the area. Every now and again I see it out and about, battered and bruised. 

Mines the previous 2003 to 2010 model. MPVs seem to have fallen from grace completely. They do make a lot of sense though. I've also got one of the final Zafiras, and a Ssangyong Korando SUV. As for the bargain bit, I shall probably (almost certainly) end up spending more than it could be sold for, but at least I shall know what work has been done on it and parts fitted. One of my son's a professional cellist and if he ever passes his test, it would be a good car to carry his instrument in. One thing I've found is that parts are easily and cheaply available. A complete genuine wiring harness for the tailgate was just over 20 quid and a Motaquip branded brake pipe with a flexible hose each end and brackets etc. was just under 15 including postage from Northern Ireland. 

Mrs Sh'eds ran an 07 Meriva for a while. It was generally okay and the flat folding seats give versatile space for tip runs etc. However, the electric power steering was shocking and when it stops working steering is exceptionally heavy - not much fun when it goes mid corner. 

The 1.6 engine also felt a little agricultural and slow, fairly easy to do cambelt on and general services though. 

Usually the steering issue could be solved by a quick turn it off and on again, but sometimes it needed to be left overnight before function was resumed. 

It didn't make sense to repair the steering properly for us, so car was sold on to her dad (who sold it to us in the first place) for a £1k loss and he is using it as a van and trying his hardest not to moan about the steering going wonky all the time.

In summary ALL VOXHALLS ARE SHITE M7.

My mum had a 58 plate 1.6 petrol manual for a while.  She was the second owner and did not take it to a main dealer for servicing.  In 2018 the steering problem appeared and, to be fair, Vauxhall repaired it under warranty at no cost to her.  I think they have an electric system and the pump fails.  I quite liked it.  It was a bit of a TARDIS car to me with more space inside than the size suggested and clever seat design.  She sold to a drummer in a band who used it as a small van for going to gigs with band kit.

I think there was a quiet recall on the power steering pumps on these, basically you plonk it in with a main dealer and stump up £90 for diagnostic and they replace the whole shebang if there's a fault code for the pump and refund the £90 , worth a call !

I had one as a hire car once. It was worse to drive than the first gen Zafira I had shortly before.

I hadn't thought that would have been possible.

Having said that, practical thing, and for use as an thing to get you places it was fine. But if you enjoy driving, you will come to hate it.

Another experience here. My mum had an 06 1.7cdti. It was really quick and well designed but the engine would cut out. By the time the RAC arrived it would start again. Happened multiple times. The whole 5 year experience was plagued with engine management lights and multiple replaced components.

Then the steering went. Scared my mum to death.

I changed the brake discs and pads on it once and the discs were so badly corroded to the hubs I had to cut them off. Common problem apparently and we wondered why the local dealer wanted £600 to do the job.

Vauxhall were only interested in replacing the steering column and I was very vocal on it being replaced ASAP. It had always been dealer serviced on-time.

It was an expensive and unreliable ownership experience for something so mainstream.

Before shelling out the 120 quid, which I got back later that day when I sold the guy in the chip shop a washing machine, I researched the potential steering problem. The early Merivas use a pure electric system, while the second generation cars have an electro-hydraulic set up. The sudden lack of assistance problem also affects Pandas, Puntos and MINIs amongst others, and has been well documented on the likes of Watchdog. Fitting a replacement column either new or used involves reprogramming though. Apparently theres a firm in Derbyshire that repairs ones own column, apparently there's a torque or angle sensor or somesuch thats the issue, andthen it's just a straight refitting. They give a lifetime guarantee on their work apparently. A Panda we owned for many years had the same problem. Switching it off and on again cured it till the next time. Never did sort it though, mainly because it was the wifes car! 

I had a 1.8 for a year ,it had the steering issue , not only can it switch off , it can over assist !!!! , Good for sphincter control and building arm muscles , any way the car looked ok but it was shite , misfired , subframe rot etc .

Scrapped it ....and got the Focus which in comparison has been very good .....

Will never look at another car that I cant turn the steering with the engine off .. and never ever another Vauxhall ...

2 hours ago, Sham said:

I had one as a hire car once. It was worse to drive than the first gen Zafira I had shortly before.

I hadn't thought that would have been possible.

Having said that, practical thing, and for use as an thing to get you places it was fine. But if you enjoy driving, you will come to hate it.

Same experience here, normally I love having a courtesy/ hire car for a good noon around in but it was awful. It had the worst electronic handbrake ever. BUT if it’s cheap enough and you need a cheap car then any port in a storm I guess.

Suppose I've gone a bit too far now and might as well get the job finished, if a 17 year old car is ever finished. Surprised about the problem with brake discs. Mine came off easily. Can't remember exact price, but all 4 discs and pads, plus 2 rear shocks and a thermostat came to £111,from GSF, delivered.Haven't done much for a few days, got to get a front hub off, to fit new driveshaft gaiters and wheelbearing. Got all the parts, but hate that evil black grease that gets everywhere. Took advantage of the weather and new found "freedom" and took the caravan away for the weekend. Any caravanners on here? 

I was once given one as a courtesy car - it was shit.

I thought that the 1600 lump would be like the one in my old Mk2 Cavalier - it was not.

I drove it down - three & a half hours - to view an art exhibition in Bristol - it was shut that day.

SEVEN HOURS listening to Radio two on a Sunday.

Getting to the point where the end can't be far away. Or can it? So far I've replaced all the pads and discs, both rear shocks, a rear brake pipe, a front suspension arm, track rod end, 2 driveshaft gaiters,front wheel bearing, tailgate wiring harness, door mirror glass, all 3 wiper blades, timing belt, water pump, auxiliary belt, themostat, air, fuel and pollen filters. Oh, and a s/h dashboard air vent. Just the front exhaust section and an oil change and should be about ready for an Mot which expires June 1st. 

Was pleased how the wheel bearing change went. In the past I've taken the complete wheel carrier to an engineering place and let them do it. But the chap over the road said he'd bought a hydraulic press and seemed keen to help. Was a bit wary as he's got some issues, but thought I'd give it a go. Knocked the hub out in my vice. Cut the remaining inner bearing half off, with an angle grinder, dug the circlip out and went for it. Press turned out to be a Sealey branded one with a hand pump. Did the job with a bit of a struggle, not sure how it would cope with anything much bigger though. Apart from going over budget somewhat, was thinking how smoothly everything has gone so far. Ordered most of the parts over the interweb and only cockup so far was when GSF forgot a £5 bottle of brake fluid. Only had one fastener that wouldn't undo, surprisingly an engine mounting bracket bolt where the head got chewed up. Ended up drilling a hole in the inner wing to get a long drill in to weaken it enough to chisel off. Even then I ended up welding a nut to the remains to unsrew it. Still very tight even after the heat from the welder. Treated myself to a Dewalt impact wrench which has been a godsend. After buying the wrench, batteries, charger, sockets, extensions, carry case etc. must have spent more than the car has cost me. 

On 4/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, mitsisigma01 said:

DOBLOSEVEN to your pm inbox ASAP please 

Not sure what's going on, thought I'd

sent a PM. 

Car is almost finished now. Yesterday got the oil and filter changed and managed to fit the largest and most expensive part to date. The flexible mesh section of the front exhaust had disintegrated. Repair pieces are available but the whole length was very rusty, including the centre box. Local parts place wanted £86.Cheapest internet was £67,plus £9 delivery. Turned out it was only about a mile away. A phone call got it down to £60 and picked it up myself. It's almost 10 ft long and only just fitted in the Zafira. I'd soaked the nuts on the  manifold in WD40 previously and they undid easily. However separating the rear box proved difficult. Ended up cutting the centre pipe to get it off and using cutting, heat and impact technology to remove the remains. If it had been my "own" car, I'd have bought a new back box, but this one looked pretty new and I'm way over budget already. I've also repaired the wiring to the rear NS door so the central locking works. Just need to get Mot'd, it runs out June 1st.The steering problem has shown up a couple of times while I've been moving it around on the drive. Think I'll run it for a few days, get it Mot'd, hoping it doesn't show up during the test, then probably get the column tested and repaired by the company in Derbyshire. That way it'll hopefully follow my initial brief to make it into a car I'd be happy for one of my family to use. Need to give it a good wash and brush up now most of the work has been done. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all good things come to an end as they say. Got all the mechanical work done, or so I thought. Gave it a thorough clean, even removing the wheels and jet washing behind them, starting with the one that was full of grease from the leaking driveshaft gaiter. Chap over the road had given me some very good wheel cleaning stuff which worked well. Got a bit carried away with the bodywork and ended up buying some Autoglym resin polish which again worked well. Interior came up nicely as well with a good vacuuming and wiping clean. It smelt a bit fusty inside so I wasted a pound on a tree shaped air freshener that claimed to impart a new car smell. Took it for Mot today which it failed on a bush in a front suspension arm. Bought complete arm from a local spares place which cost double the one on the other side I'd bought online. Took it back later and now it's got 12 1/2 months test with no advisories. Not sure what to do with it now. It drives very nicely for what it is. 1.6 8v engine starts well and ticks over almost silently. Everything works, including the aircon and electric roofs,the body is very tidy, no rust or laquer peel. Alloy wheels are pretty good as well, with no corrosion, but a few shallow scuffs. If someone wanted that sort of thing, it'd probably be a good buy. It stands me in at 627 pounds at the moment, but it's got new timing belt, water pump etc. All new discs and pads. Mostly new exhaust, all fiters and fluids have been changed including the hard to reach pollen one. Tyres are all ok and matching budget brand.Probably stick it up for sale, but not too worried if it doesn't sell for a sensible price. Tester seemed quite impressed with it, he's a Vauxhall fan and had one when they were new. 

• 1 month later...

Well after standing on the drive unused for almost a month, it's gone off to foreign parts. Number three son who's in South Wales, has just changed his job and had to has to hand back the car he has on a salary sacrifice scheme. The car is used mainly by his partner, so until they can get something else, they're down to just his own car. So he's taken the Meriva back with them as a stop gap and seems happy to have it. His partner is quite impressed with the aircon as the  replaced car, despite being a 19reg didn't have it. Sort of sad it's gone, but better it does a family member some good. If it comes back, I'll probably try to sell it on and see if another rescue car comes along. 

I had a 2004 1.7cdti, bought in 2009 and owned for just under 8 years (record for the longest ownership for me). Was a great car and really surprising just how much you could fit in it! Ended up having a couple of leaks that I just couldn't trace and started to stink and go moldy so with only a few months MOT I got rid.

Unfortunately it never passed another MOT which is a damn shame as I sold it with only 110k on the clock.

Well it's now residing in that there Wales after an uneventful 140 mile journey.Sons own car is a bright yellow 15reg. Citroën Cactus that his two year old daughter now refuses to travel in, preferring the "posh new car". An early Autoshiteist? Must say as a functional vehicle, it makes a lot of sense. Lots of headroom, easy to get in and out, versatile seating and loadspace. Didn't  seem too bad to drive even with the 1.6 8v engine, after I'd sorted the worn suspension and brakes. Did 100 or so motorway miles in it myself, and seemed to go well enough. Even overtook the occasional Audi.