Its impossible finding a good workshop

Milk

Industrial property seems to be slowly shifting towards reduction in affordable smaller units and the large scale  building of huge industrial complexes for distribution etc, demand for small places is always on the increase as the population grows, and additionally land banked for its future development value is often left empty for speed of selling etc such is the way of post industrialist retail dominated Britain.

I've noticed that here in Chesterfield a select few managed to secure tracts of land for buttons when the A61 was developed in 1985 and so their land is always 100% occupied continuously despite high rents and due to demand places vacated are instantly spoken for.

23 hours ago, sierraman said:

Also a lot of cars stolen to order for parts in West Yorkshire so that’s why they’ll be wary of people. Farmers, can be a bit funny, they’ll either like the look of you or they won’t. If they suspect in any way you’ll be a nuisance or having half of the county up at the weekend for car repairs they’ll likely tell you to get lost. 

Agreed - it took time to earn the trust of the farmer even after we'd moved in. I guess we just got lucky that they trusted us enough to let us give it a whirl, once they realised we weren't going to take the piss and paid our rent on time things settled down. Then they doubled our rent! The whole unit thing can be a right PITA but once it's sorted, they're ace.

2 hours ago, Jikovron said:

Industrial property seems to be slowly shifting towards reduction in affordable smaller units and the large scale  building of huge industrial complexes for distribution etc, demand for small places is always on the increase as the population grows, and additionally land banked for its future development value is often left empty for speed of selling etc such is the way of post industrialist retail dominated Britain.

I've noticed that here in Chesterfield a select few managed to secure tracts of land for buttons when the A61 was developed in 1985 and so their land is always 100% occupied continuously despite high rents and due to demand places vacated are instantly spoken for.

The units on the Station Rd at New Whittington always seem occupied, don’t know what the rents are for them but they’re not a bad size for a small one man band garage set up.

One of the other issues is the worry of someone using the premises to break cars (not nicked ones...) as you start to go into an expensive minefield of where these cars are being depolluted. All sorts of people will just let the oil piss out everywhere and puddles of coolant everywhere it’s just going to attract the EA.

17 minutes ago, sierraman said:

The units on the Station Rd at New Whittington always seem occupied, don’t know what the rents are for them but they’re not a bad size for a small one man band garage set up.

One of the other issues is the worry of someone using the premises to break cars (not nicked ones...) as you start to go into an expensive minefield of where these cars are being depolluted. All sorts of people will just let the oil piss out everywhere and puddles of coolant everywhere it’s just going to attract the EA.

Those and also pottery lane industrial complex are impossible to get into , there was one up behind the Harley Davidson dealer that was spoken for well in advance of the tenant vacating as the landlord had a long list of people waiting to get into his units, 280 per month for a 4 car space with maybe 2 out front. 

Breaking cars would overspill small places drastically quickly unless you can legitamately tip the unsaleable bulky shit as fast as it accumulated and as you say quickly needs to fall in line with depollution and waste licencing hurdles.

I was talking to a chap from the EA last year he was saying they are really clamping down on people breaking cars up at home as a business, not folks breaking their old car up but people doing it as a business especially when they’re renting a unit and buying a couple of cars a week and chopping them up without adequate facilities. 

It’s always a difficult one. The going rate for a unit that will hold 4-5 cars is a shade under £1k around here + bills (insurance and electricity). Smaller units do exist, but are not common. 

Very few people could afford that for a hobby. So you need to get together as a group and rent. That in itself is a nightmare as it needs someone to sign a lease and on a monthly basis be responsible for the rent and bills (would you do this for 3 other people that could back out at any moment?) Then there’s the falling out over who’s using the ramp, blocking the entrance,  using other people’s tools, or not keeping things tidy. So you need to be a close knit group - it only takes one person to spoil things!

There are also certain areas where you might be able to get something a bit cheaper. But I would just not be prepared to leave a car or tools as I know there would be a high chance I be turning one day with the unit having been turned over.

Do you know anyone running a business that might have some spare space? That’s what I do, but again it’s not easy as the owner is in effect usually trusting you with the keys to his business. We have built a good relationship,  but I’m always aware I could be out on my arse at any point and you do have to be mindful that while it’s my hobby, it’s his livelihood.