Further adventures of The Very Naughty Alfa, as it is now known

djoptix

39 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Eth eth eth awrchhhCCHHHARCCCH tele-vis-ee-on.

Anything that was designed, built or conceived after 1850 in Wales just has its name in pidgin-English. Particularly anything high technology.

I do like "microwave oven".

Popty-ping. Oven that goes ping.

" Magical witchcraft box that does not heat forks up without lightning and smoke" was probably the alternative.

Phil

The old 'popty ping' chestnut is an urban myth.

Also, I'm not sure it's so very different from English, in which anything designed after 1850 just has its name in pidgin-Greek or dog-Latin (or worse, an ill-educated mash-up of both).  

Have you got the car yet?

Just now, Skizzer said:

The old 'popty ping' chestnut is an urban myth.

Also, I'm not sure it's so very different from English, in which anything designed after 1850 just has its name in pidgin-Greek or dog-Latin (or worse, an ill-educated mash-up of both).  

I'm half Welsh. I feel the pain.

4 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Not yet! Ages to go. According to the bleeding-edge eyes-in-the-sky Transport For Wales track-o-matic®, I am here:

1144757726_ScreenShot2021-04-09at16_45_14.thumb.png.bb1a16e08a4345f93f9afc237d57c5ef.png

This is about to become a familiar bit of the journey for me - having gone to college in Hereford and then university in Manchester, I used to get this train all the time.

1 hour ago, djoptix said:

Minutes I have been gone for: 29

Estuaries I am now on the other side of: 1

Calls from Mrs Optix letting me know she has ALREADY FUCKING LOCKED HERSELF AND THE KIDS OUT OF THE HOUSE: 1

I locked myself out of the house last summer, went out with the wrong keys , got into the garden with 2 hours to kill and 4 bottles of cider , by the time mrs wack got back I was pretty pissed, as was she when I went to bed scuppering her afternoon plans

Looked at the bottles when I woke 7.5%

I can't understand a word of this. It's like those Welsh have a different word for everything. 

IMG_20210409_152610.thumb.jpg.0f6aad591c54e8c2894f496d42cd28ac.jpg

I remember a sit-com, sure it was, where our heroes arrived in some godforsaken Welsh spot.....

"Jezze... They cant even put X in 'tacsi'!"

I was wrecked.... LMFAO

GodSpeed my son..   

43 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

Like "television", of which the legendary Guardian editor C. P. Scott said:

"The word is half Greek, half Latin. No good will come of it."

There's a surprise.

502139665_ScreenShot2021-04-09at16_09_21.thumb.png.cd82708877ab3f3dd1e80fae6f42933d.png

Since I'm on this train for two hours I thought I'd watch Netflix  Nettfflix. But TFW Rail Services Wifi can't even load Speedtest.

Ha! Someone I work with has spent literally months making sure that everything that previously said 'Transport for Wales Rail Services' now says 'Transport for Wales Rail Limited' because nationalisation (never let it be said that transport planning is dull). I'm actually really looking forward to Monday now so I can tell him he's missed one. 

2 hours ago, djoptix said:

Currently wending my way up through Shropshire. Bloody lovely round here. 

IMG_20210409_173321.thumb.jpg.318447192c424027cce3fd8b2821ad71.jpg

Station full of chavs though. 

2019 we had a week away in Shropshire , it really is a beautiful county with a lot of history and some lovely old towns