Naffest most crass giffer mods

sierraman

13 hours ago, iainrcz said:

'ere my pile of Jap crap is lowered!

12 hours ago, Out Run said:

Likewise. :-)

Same with the MR2.

Talking about white lettering on tyre sidewalls, we all know the ultimate shiter's dream is a set of four Stomils with the lettering proudly whitened. That and a set of Sercks, obviously. 

For the most up to date giffer 'mod' scene you need only to attend a Rover 75 owner's meeting (when such things are allowed). Many Rover owners are not content with the understated sense of style and class many of their cars naturally posses and are like unable to resist stick-on chrome, extra Rover badges stuck in all manner of random places and generally carrying on until the whole thing looks like a dog's dinner. (see also some Jaguar S Type owners).

In terms of giffer mods, for me it's the addition of multiple wonky, scattergun applied Halfords/High Street car accessory shop Gti, Sri, 16v, Turbo, Lux, Special Edition etc stick on lettering on vehicles which are quite clearly not GTi, SRi, 16v, Turbo-ed or in any conceivable way, luxurious or Special. Normally to be seen with an impressive array of stick on reflectors from the same tat rack in the shop. 

21 minutes ago, Austin-Rover said:

For the most up to date giffer 'mod' scene you need only to attend a Rover 75 owner's meeting (when such things are allowed). Many Rover owners are not content with the understated sense of style and class many of their cars naturally posses and are like unable to resist stick-on chrome, extra Rover badges stuck in all manner of random places and generally carrying on until the whole thing looks like a dog's dinner. (see also some Jaguar S Type owners).

I’ve seen them, festooned with excessive amounts of stick on plastic chrome but the engine runs like a cement mixer and there’s a cornucopia of MOT standard plate welds on the sills. Usually seen proudly cruising between Ingoldmels and Skegness. Extra points if spotted outside a flat roof carvery type pub or a time expired static caravan. 

At one point last summer I was driving past that absolute masterpiece* on a weekly basis. What a machiiiiiiiiiine.
He has had a few health scares and with covid going on he hasn't been doing as much but he did blow the engine on his vectra with the z20net engine due to his bad choice of boost mods and ecu with "pop corn" tune, it burnt out two high flow sport cats in a few months before grenading the engine.
So he bought another one .
He also drives this citroen C4 that he managed to nearly kill within hours of owning by sticking a Alpine stereo with dvd sat nav unit under the dash but wiring it in himself and wiring into and knocking out the Can network across the whole car losing all the communication and everything electronic.
Because he wanted sat nav via the stereo!!
e1c2eac4b5efde66ca255a4c272b7607.jpgDSC_0828.jpgDSC_0827.jpg

Just now, Inspiral_Mondays said:

Back in the 80s, a 924 owning neighbour of mine put a sticker in the back window of his wife‘s Chavette bearing the legend „My other car is a Porsche“.

"My other car is a Porsche" 

"No, really! It is!" 

6 hours ago, Austin-Rover said:

About 10 years ago I did work for a local giffer who'd had various types of Rover over many years, going back to a  p6 2000 in the 1980s, and they'd always been slightly giffer-blinged. 

2300 SD1, 820s, Sterlings, 620s, 75s, etc.

He showed me his latest purchase which had Rover emblems on the bonnet, boot, all 4 wings, and both rear pillars.  He'd also put chrome edging round the wheelarches.  Fair enough, his car, if he's happy, etc, etc.

The only thing was, it was a 2001 Vauxhall Omega 2.2 auto.

In terms of giffer mods, for me it's the addition of multiple wonky, scattergun applied Halfords/High Street car accessory shop Gti, Sri, 16v, Turbo, Lux, Special Edition etc stick on lettering on vehicles which are quite clearly not GTi, SRi, 16v, Turbo-ed or in any conceivable way, luxurious or Special. Normally to be seen with an impressive array of stick on reflectors from the same tat rack in the shop. 
Halfords ran out of letters when the father in law went on a shopping spree.8cc82b1e25200fb5fed08f59917e4cdb.jpg

I love this Zodiac Executive, pics taken in Manchester 1972.

eZwwEH6.jpg

6qZDu64.jpg

Not customised, just blinged.  Grandad's come for a visit.

It's a pity the pics are as blurry as a Ziggy Stardust cassette tape that's been left on the dashboard top in the sun, but never mind.

Can you imagine being six and grandad arrives to take you out for a drive in this!  A 3-litre, possibly an automatic with a T-bar shifter just like a Raleigh Chopper.

'How fast does she go grandad, will she do the ton?'.

What’s the most tackiest modification you can think of?
Painting the script on the tyres white - added wanker points if it’s a really bum make like Ceat or Happy Galloper. 
Personalised monogramed coachlines so something along the likes of P.A in that tacky script type font. Always in gold! 
It's worse when they buy stencils from eBay, and their chingchong radials suddenly become Firestones!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I see this Mongdeo around occasionally. It's lovely*

20180727_13054720180727_130602033 (2)

Perhaps if he’d invested the time sorting those discoloured headlamps out instead of sticking all that tat on. 

Just looked up the test history on it, persistent advisories about corrosion and it’s only scraping the emissions. 194k! 

Meddling while Rome burns! 

17 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Lowering.

Over-lowering I would say. Lowering the suspension a few inches to give that sporty look is fine, but lowering it to the point where the suspension system is absolutely useless with the underside being scraped along is pretty shite: 

ElDJhtvXYAEru_w.thumb.jpg.26b038fa025093f707f0198a08dbfb47.jpg

i must try and grab a pic of the PT Cruiser that frequents the local shopping centre, just about every Chrome add on you can get for one he has fitted...light covers, mirror covers, arch covers, anything that isnt chrome is now!!

plus has a horrid Loving Life or summat sticker across windscreen...

and did the owner of that Mondeo used to own the Toyota i had???? those front LED surrounds match the 4 random switches that were under the dash!!!!

1 hour ago, Austat said:

Over-lowering I would say. Lowering the suspension a few inches to give that sporty look is fine, but lowering it to the point where the suspension system is absolutely useless with the underside being scraped along is pretty shite: 

ElDJhtvXYAEru_w.thumb.jpg.26b038fa025093f707f0198a08dbfb47.jpg

That Merc is just scrap now. It’s been fucked about to the point it’s A: completely unusable B: butchered to the point it’s economically unviable to put right and also quite frankly a danger out on the road with the way those wheels are sitting so close to the arches at that stupid angle. 

Wasn't that the one that German plod pulled on its way to Worthersee (sp?) in 2019 and the driver tried arguing the toss with them as it had a UK MOT and German plod gave him a free holiday in a dingy cell for a week as his reward for being a prick? I assume the car got crushed as if it was that one, then it definitely got impounded and I can't imagine they'd let it back out without being returned to a TuV-compliant state (and at great cost just to get it out, let alone returned to normal/recovered to the UK)

IIRC the tester who passed it subsequently reported that the extensive modifications weren't present when he had tested it, and had been perpetrated later