2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

22 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

I would ignore damp for now unless there is anything wrong. The outer working portion of the rams (fescalised portion!) will have  a bit of oil as when it is inside the strut it is wet, when it comes out it gets wiped. 

I presume you know to check the level on low as per the handbook? Overfilling in normal gets messy?

Oh, and Dark mode is one of the buttons that looks like it should reset the odometer near the speedometer but actually switches in to dark mode  try it at night with the lights on. I do t use it much but on a long later night cruise it’s great  

excellent thank you!

drove it at night for the first time the other day

it has auto lights and they work! which i was impressed at for some reason

it beeps for everything

2 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Would it happen to be an estate in that sort of light metallic blue? I need a tailgate if possible?

Sorry, no, a silver hatch. In any case I'm in Ireland. I'm just s about to start stripping it down in the next couple of hours. It's going to feel like shooting a faithful old hound.

Although someone else has owned it for the last 3½ years, we did 85000 miles in it. I've scrapped a lot of cars, but usually they've been bought for the purpose. It's the first of my everyday cars to be scrapped by me for over 30 years, since my wedge Princess in fact.

12 minutes ago, artdjones said:

Sorry, no, a silver hatch. In any case I'm in Ireland. I'm just s about to start stripping it down in the next couple of hours. It's going to feel like shooting a faithful old hound.

Although someone else has owned it for the last 3½ years, we did 85000 miles in it. I've scrapped a lot of cars, but usually they've been bought for the purpose. It's the first of my everyday cars to be scrapped by me for over 30 years, since my wedge Princess in fact.

Sad times! Thanks anyway and good luck with selling all the bits to make your fortune! 

Don't rush to do rear swinging arm bearings. Mine creaked for 3 years coming and going but were still intact when I scrapped it.  It is the xantia that damages the swinging arms when you don't do them rather than the C5.  First thing to do is drop the gearbox oil a few times or get it flushed through proper for a full change. Proper fluid mind.  LT 71141.

Had a weird moment this morning

as it doesn't seem to like cold starts much (long crank)

i decided to preheat it twice

when it started the radio was beeping, not responding and nothing on the display

turning it off and on again sorted it, so all i can assume was some sort of data ussue

otherwise all is good

8 minutes ago, maxxo said:

I reckon i'll get this booked in for an ATF fluid change and AC recharge in a week or two and ask them to investigate and quote on the creaking

yes

i'm not actually ignoring stuff

i like this car

To a hydraulic Citroen place? I think a garage of mere-mortals will not be such a good to entrust with this.

I had a ballpark figure of about £500 for this once. It is labour intensive but the parts are only about £50. 

I’ll be interested to see your quote!

11 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

To a hydraulic Citroen place? I think a garage of mere-mortals will not be such a good to entrust with this.

I had a ballpark figure of about £500 for this once. It is labour intensive but the parts are only about £50. 

I’ll be interested to see your quote!

Yes, ex dealer people who have ran it for over 20 years, i trust them

i'd say 500 would be about right for it

Fitted a new rear wiper blade today which is a huge improvement....do i have the only estate with a working rear wiper?

going to start a little bit of bodywork tomorrow and painting

also going to replace the washer bottle cap as it's broken, and if you push down on it the pipe pops off so going to see what i can do

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

Had a weird moment this morning

as it doesn't seem to like cold starts much (long crank)

i decided to preheat it twice

when it started the radio was beeping, not responding and nothing on the display

turning it off and on again sorted it, so all i can assume was some sort of data ussue

otherwise all is good

Had this with our C3 a few times over the years, restarting normally sorts it or leaving it to go to sleep..

That's one thing I really miss on my old laguna 2,the split tailgate) once I got the latch working and unsiezed the wiper arm as it goes through the glass, that was nerve wracking!) 

Could utterly fill the boot to the brim through it. I remember myself and 2 vac collectors took a trip in mine and I got a good 20 vacuums with tools and some other shit in the boot/folded split bench, to perfection. Then my mate goes to open the boot, popped the wrong latch and it all moved that fatal inch backwards and I had to repack the bastard lot! 

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

That's one thing I really miss on my old laguna 2,the split tailgate) once I got the latch working and unsiezed the wiper arm as it goes through the glass, that was nerve wracking!) 

Could utterly fill the boot to the brim through it. I remember myself and 2 vac collectors took a trip in mine and I got a good 20 vacuums with tools and some other shit in the boot/folded split bench, to perfection. Then my mate goes to open the boot, popped the wrong latch and it all moved that fatal inch backwards and I had to repack the bastard lot! 

it's utterly fantastic, i dare say i use it more than actually opening the tailgate.....mind you i try to avoid opening the tailgate unless i need to due to french wiring

i am slightly terrified of that glass being broken, as i have a feeling soucing a replacement will be an absolute nightmare

I did the rear arm bearings on my old C5. Long but straightforward job. You can do it without removing the ABS sensors if you're careful and keep the arms under the car. Are you sure it doesn't have the boot height control? Mine did and it was poverty spec. Would be very surprised if yours doesn't. 

1 hour ago, djoptix said:

I did the rear arm bearings on my old C5. Long but straightforward job. You can do it without removing the ABS sensors if you're careful and keep the arms under the car. Are you sure it doesn't have the boot height control? Mine did and it was poverty spec. Would be very surprised if yours doesn't. 

it does indeed, and the height control works perfectly

Well on my facelift the tailgate struts are past it. the rear level switch doesn't work, and the rear wiper is missing.  A very slight thunk from rear arm on speed bump now and then.  Don't see me fixing any of this.   Did all these things before and the motor can be moved on anytime.  Big stick for the tailgate.

1,000 miles and 11 days in

it's fine, absolutely fine

well apart from the appalling wiper pattern with a huge triangle of doom

talking of wipers, it rained for the first time today so i tried out the auto wipers....surprisingly alright actually

turns on the headlights after a few sweeps which is an excellent feature

not turned off the auto lights either, cos i see no point turning them off.....those are excellent, not too sensitive

so, my thoughts......

what an absolutely lovely car! ride is utterly superb, can get caught out by potholes etc but otherwise it floats along wonderfully

autobox is smooth, 99% of the time in the right gear and nice to drive with

tested out the sport mode and it's just much faster than it has any right to be, 9 seconds to 60 i timed today and a highly illegal top speed on a "private" road that absolutely wasn't an empty dual carriageway

seats are excellent, supportive and soft

stereo is very good

door mirrors are perfectly sized, nice and wide and with very few blind spots

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

been having a little think today, seeing as i have now covered over 1100 miles in this car and i can tell it's a goodun

i'm going to put the effort into making this one a minter

won't hard either as apart from a few scuffs the paintwork is lovely

Good luck.