2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

oh dear god

another major issue

stopped in traffic today..........

bus behind me i happened to notice i had a brake light out from the reflection on their windscreen

oh dear, once i got home it was confirmed

had to drive to halfords and spend a couple of quid on a new one

that's fixed now

25 minutes ago, maxxo said:

oh dear god

another major issue

stopped in traffic today..........

bus behind me i happened to notice i had a brake light out from the reflection on their windscreen

oh dear, once i got home it was confirmed

had to drive to halfords and spend a couple of quid on a new one

that's fixed now

Did the display not tell you? Thinking about it, I had mine from 2006 to 2012 and don’t recall changing a bulb.

but the previous cx and subsequent merc. Both alerted to failed bulbs.

3 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Did the display not tell you? Thinking about it, I had mine from 2006 to 2012 and don’t recall changing a bulb.

but the previous cx and subsequent merc. Both alerted to failed bulbs.

doesn't have a bulb failure warning system as far as i know, which is a surprise as the XM does

but easy enough to change

Just now, maxxo said:

doesn't have a bulb failure warning system as far as i know, which is a surprise as the XM does

but easy enough to change

I think the xm is similar to the cx and merc in that it will rely on current / amps variation. The one on my cx worked but was disconnected when I bought it as the light came on when you used the driver’s window. Mainly I suspect because of the twin tow bar wiring mucking things up.

Just now, richardmorris said:

I think the xm is similar to the cx and merc in that it will rely on current / amps variation. The one on my cx worked but was disconnected when I bought it as the light came on when you used the driver’s window. Mainly I suspect because of the twin tow bar wiring mucking things up.

i'd believe so yes

it would be a useful system to have tbh, but i do check whenever a bus is behind me as it's so very easy

Performance issue sounds very much like a MAF problem. I had mine fail on my 2.0 hdi C5. It would be intermittent at first and when it was playing up couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Other times it would be fine performance wise. Never flashed up a warning light or MIL in the couple of months I put up with it. Changed it for a genuine one ( I believe that to be important from FCF folk) and all was well again. 

1 minute ago, Andy F said:

Performance issue sounds very much like a MAF problem. I had mine fail on my 2.0 hdi C5. It would be intermittent at first and when it was playing up couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Other times it would be fine performance wise. Never flashed up a warning light or MIL in the couple of months I put up with it. Changed it for a genuine one ( I believe that to be important from FCF folk) and all was well again. 

i'll just let it get worse, then once it does i'll just unplug it and see how the car performs

now i have absolutely barely any idea about bodywork

and it's a boiling hot day

so probably all the wrong ways to do this but i've decided to fix the laquer peel on the front bumper

here's some before photos:

No description available.

and here it is now

i don't think that looks too bad for someone who doesn't know what he's doing

i know it probably won't last but it's a quick and easy way to tidy it all up

1 hour ago, JakeT said:

That looks great. Far better than before, looking at it I wouldn’t know you’ve done it.

Especially considering I didn’t prep it or even clean it at all

didnt sand it just pulled the loose stuff off

you can see a repair up close but it’s tons better 

On the subject of C5s, saw an 08 reg one today, estate, bronze/gold, same shape as yours. I didn't think the old shape went as late as that? Did they become sprung by then, it was making a horrific noise from the rear suspension as it drove past, a squeaking/creaking over bumps!

Not something I expected to hear from a hydro Citroen!

6 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

On the subject of C5s, saw an 08 reg one today, estate, bronze/gold, same shape as yours. I didn't think the old shape went as late as that? Did they become sprung by then, it was making a horrific noise from the rear suspension as it drove past, a squeaking/creaking over bumps!

Not something I expected to hear from a hydro Citroen!

Citroën C5 Ⅰ berline ++ facelift ++ 2004–2008 | Opron | Flickr

would have had this front end and a slightly different rear lower bumper

on an 08 would have been one of the last shape like mine face-lift models

all hydropneumatic

the creaking/squeaking is rear arm bearings, i had them fail on mine and sound utterly horrific

£300 or so a side so i imagine many a c5 have been scrapped due to that

they fail for 2 reaons, overloading and crap getting past the seals corroding them

11 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Citroën C5 Ⅰ berline ++ facelift ++ 2004–2008 | Opron | Flickr

would have had this front end and a slightly different rear lower bumper

on an 08 would have been one of the last shape like mine face-lift models

all hydropneumatic

the creaking/squeaking is rear arm bearings, i had them fail on mine and sound utterly horrific

£300 or so a side so i imagine many a c5 have been scrapped due to that

they fail for 2 reaons, overloading and crap getting past the seals corroding them

Ah yes, that colour. Didn't see the front end, but it was an estate and the boot lid looked the same as yours. Didn't happen to notice the bumper. 

They're clearly driving with the radio up very high! It would drive me absolutely bonkers hearing the racket it was making!

11 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ah yes, that colour. Didn't see the front end, but it was an estate and the boot lid looked the same as yours. Didn't happen to notice the bumper. 

They're clearly driving with the radio up very high! It would drive me absolutely bonkers hearing the racket it was making!

they'll ruin the rear arms driving like that for long periods too

Shouldn’t have said about no issues etc…….

Merging onto the A19 today on a 28c day, absolutely fine until it shifted to 4th then absolutely no power 

sadly, I noticed the engine revs increasing without road speed, took the decision to abort the journey 

on returning home, it was slipping between every gear change, jerking in 2nd with an unlocked converter 

and lastly a loud bang after slippage

shit

27 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Shouldn’t have said about no issues etc…….

Merging onto the A19 today on a 28c day, absolutely fine until it shifted to 4th then absolutely no power 

sadly, I noticed the engine revs increasing without road speed, took the decision to abort the journey 

on returning home, it was slipping between every gear change, jerking in 2nd with an unlocked converter 

and lastly a loud bang after slippage

shit

Oh shit indeed, not good :(

i don't know what to do here

it's only when the weather is really warm and the car is fully up to temp

fluid is pretty fresh (12k or so old) and i don't want to change it now as it will likely make it worse

now, i do have a code 02 referring to slipping brake bands and the utter bollocks parameters

it's almost 19 years old with pretty much 180k on it so for an AL4 that's excellent

i just fear this is it for the box

what i think is happeneing:

brake band is worn in the transmission, add in hot fluid, hot weather and load causing expansion

i wouldn't say it's low fluid, as i've never seen it leak and surely fluid will be thinner when hot

i'd also say the thin fluid will add to the issues

not electrovalves as it's had them and the issues were very similar

i note, it's extremely bad in 2nd unlocked.....very jerky and almost feels gritty if that makes sense, very notchy too when it's acting up

but there is zero acceleration, i managed to get it up to 50 when it shifted to 4th and i noticed i had absolutely nothing couldn't speed up at all so had to abort the trip and take the XM....of course on a date going on a day out so off to a good start!

high load in top gear is likely causing it to slip

so realistically, it's going to need more work to the gearbox, either a new gearbox or a rebuild

£1,500 that'll be

without a doubt i'd do it, but it will also need a new set of injectors as these are original and have done 180k so the flow corrections are all over the place and it can misfire slightly

it's a bit of a crossroads, i don't quite know what to do at the minute

bear in mind when i bought the car at 150k the transmission fluid was pretty much black.....

what do i do?

right just done a 20 odd mile round trip this evening

now it was a little cooler, it was absolutely fine tbh no issues from the transmission apart the odd notchy shift it's always done

little juddery on 2nd gear unlocked under any sort of load but it felt same as usual