2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

as i've now covered 6,000 miles without an issue

i suppose it's now time to work on the minor flaws

so, bodywork, it's good for the age and mileage, certainly presentable but there are stone chips and a few scuffs etc.....now do we think it's worth trying to sort them out?

the glass on the split tailgate has stopped working, this is not a fault with the main wiring loom as i thought unfortunately, so it's likely to be the cables which are ran along the glass....where the hell do i even start on that? so far i'm leaning towards not worth it

drivers seat is a little worn, still presentable and not ripped but it drops down and is going slightly baggy

laquer peel, i have plans for this....

slight underside corrosion, again, have plans

i hate working on car electrics, so this should be rather joyous*

• maxxo changed the title to 2003 Citroen C5 estate.....is superb!
9 minutes ago, maxxo said:

now do we think it's worth trying to sort them out?

Depends how much you like/plan to keep the car.

I got the mirror cover re-done on my Fabia at mates rates after the previous owner stunted it off a wall. I like the car enough and I'd like to keep it around a while so it seemed like a good idea.

For your case, my heart says fkn dae it. My heid says "think aboot this carefully".

6 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Depends how much you like/plan to keep the car.

I got the mirror cover re-done on my Fabia at mates rates after the previous owner stunted it off a wall. I like the car enough and I'd like to keep it around a while so it seemed like a good idea.

For your case, my heart says fkn dae it. My heid says "think aboot this carefully".

a few years at least i imagine, i'm well aware it will be getting a bit aged in 3 or 4 years to do 25k a year.....but i've got plans for that

i can't see this being sold, i'm fond of it

i feel it would be best to wait until the weather warms up before trying to remove a mirror cover, or maybe spray it in situ? again i feel the cold weather may have somewhat of an effect on the paint

2 minutes ago, maxxo said:

i feel it would be best to wait until the weather warms up before trying to remove a mirror cover, or maybe spray it in situ? again i feel the cold weather may have somewhat of an effect on the paint

I had it done around September/October. It was removed and I ran the car as normal otherwise. It was a mate of my late Dad that did the work. He runs a coachworks/body repair place in my hometown.

2 minutes ago, maxxo said:

i can't see this being sold, i'm fond of it

I feel the same way about my Fabia, even if it's a bit sluggish. I think in that case, I, like you, can justify doing some wee odd jobs to spruce it up and keep it looking tip-top. :)

On 1/29/2022 at 11:00 PM, jamescarruthers said:

The glass tailgate is very often a missing earth which you can add back in with a new wire that you drill to the body. My sister’s has had it done by the PO and it looks like an easy fix. Have a search over on FCF. 

many thanks, i shall do

nothing much to report

had a tree branch fall when parked up, not a big deal easy enough to pull out and polish up......job for later in the week

272731885_1245145652678790_7108887145707752804_n.thumb.jpg.0d41a8cf47cf329bf05cc8ad1247e023.jpg

had the oil changed today by my usual mobile mechanic, well, i go to his house for it to make it easier for him

£45 in total with new filter and 5w/40 fully synthetic

for that price it's not worth doing it myself really

in 6k ish miles it will be time for another full service, and likely front discs and pads as they're starting to look worn now

running as good as ever, still managing an indicated 43 mpg over the past 2k which i'm happy with

Upon filling my screen wash today I noticed something 

received_688626398982143.thumb.jpeg.e7dfd7eb3bde20a0b1865a7ae8f412fd.jpeg

The LDS fluid tank cap had gone missing, now I did top it up around a week ago and I must of not pur it on properly or forgot all together, God knows where it is

Anyway had to make a temporary solution 

20220215_125108.thumb.jpg.ce2bec886b8d2a576848968b71350f79.jpg

And you know what, it's surprisingly secure! 

Anyway sat in the car in a halfords car park (why the hell I didn't actually go in there and see if there was a universal cap I could buy I don't know) trawling ebay trying to find one with no luck 

I know I thought! I'll go to the dealer, surely it won't be much

Well once I actually found the parts department, waited a good 25 minutes and then had to show the man how to use a computer mouse (he was around 20 I'd say so even worse) he got the part number up and said yes we can order one

£45

£45 for a plastic cap

Told him it doesn't matter

Managed to buy a full LDS tank for £20 used on ebay, that'll do, it'll be good to have a spare 

So yes I've had an interesting day

• 2 weeks later...

exciting times today

i replaced the rear view mirror with a posh auto dimming one, from an exclusive!

the old just slid right off, very easily.....almost too easily

here's a view of the mount and the rain sensor

274546309_679673196707391_8983397997197981244_n.thumb.jpg.c499ea9856df016f27c9566068da6962.jpg

the new one just clipped straight into place

well, once i'd removed all the melted goo from the connector that was sat on top of the interior light

oh yes, we have mirrorage!

274526652_1732082180516844_348360149892534958_n.thumb.jpg.27f98cff27cb5d8b236f1c4586da1b8f.jpg

274707659_283367813919587_4168311171837080223_n.thumb.jpg.53e082c58d10d4cf03dab4e83854b6a7.jpg

it even has a green light! so people behind will see i have an auto dimming mirror! they will be certain i'm in an exclusive

seems to work well enough, haven't tested it in the dark yet

otherwise, car is still doing absolutely great, awaiting a quote for a timing belt, water pump, aux belt and fresh coolant

14 hours ago, maxxo said:

£433 fitted for a new belt, water pump, pulley, aux belt and coolant plus sorting an oil leak

I don't think that's too unreasonable, booked in for 2 weeks today 

Crikey I'm glad I got over my fear of cambelts! Think I paid maybe £100 all in got every part you mention above (bar the oil leak as mine just has wet cam cover seals but no drippage) , then a morning to fit it! 

However, if their having it all off anyway you could splaff another £50 or so on a new Crank pulley? Changing that made the most difference noise wise to mine surprisingly, even with tensioners that sounded rough spun by hand. 

18 hours ago, maxxo said:

£433 fitted for a new belt, water pump, pulley, aux belt and coolant plus sorting an oil leak

I don't think that's too unreasonable, booked in for 2 weeks today

That doesn't sound too bad considering you sound like you wish to keep the car for a long time 👍

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Crikey I'm glad I got over my fear of cambelts! Think I paid maybe £100 all in got every part you mention above (bar the oil leak as mine just has wet cam cover seals but no drippage) , then a morning to fit it! 

However, if their having it all off anyway you could splaff another £50 or so on a new Crank pulley? Changing that made the most difference noise wise to mine surprisingly, even with tensioners that sounded rough spun by hand. 

I don't trust myself enough to DIY it, especially as this is actually worth preserving so worth doing properly 

I'd considered a crank pulley but I suspect its already been done anyway

I know I could likely get it done cheaper, but no where local apart from them will actually touch this car so I've got little choice haha, don't mind supporting an independent anyway

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

I don't trust myself enough to DIY it, especially as this is actually worth preserving so worth doing properly 

I'd considered a crank pulley but I suspect its already been done anyway

I know I could likely get it done cheaper, but no where local apart from them will actually touch this car so I've got little choice haha, don't mind supporting an independent anyway

The cost seems decent for a garage job tbh, not knocking that 👍 Guess checking an oil leak wants a few hours of labour accounting for regardless

Plus I only had £180ish all in on the car at the time (I always try and do it early in just in case 😂) so had little to loose. You really don't want to get it wrong at this stage after what you've done to that thing 😍

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

The cost seems decent for a garage job tbh, not knocking that 👍 Guess checking an oil leak wants a few hours of labour accounting for regardless

Plus I only had £180ish all in on the car at the time (I always try and do it early in just in case 😂) so had little to loose. You really don't want to get it wrong at this stage after what you've done to that thing 😍

I wish I could say I only had £180 all in on this, unfortunately it's basically a metric fuckton more 🤣

I've spent an awful lot more, and done an awful lot more to this than I did the picasso......likely as I much prefer if (its a much better car)

In my eyes it's been worth absolutely every penny, the way it drives is utterly phenomenal and deserves to be preserved 

How's the old xsara doing?

so, as this is proving to be such a superbly reliable car

and the fact i've just quit smoking will mean i will have some spare funds

i have decided to save up and purchase this car a friend

i feel, in my personal opinion a Citroen XM will satisfy those needs rather well

i'm sure it will be superbly reliable

so yes, there may be even more joyous citroen shennanigans over the coming year

19 minutes ago, maxxo said:

XM

Ah, welcome to the Gluttons for Punishment Club 😁

That being said, a sorted one should serve you well. It seems Citroens of this age do like to give the owners pain if they've been neglected by the previous owner(s).

23 minutes ago, maxxo said:

so, as this is proving to be such a superbly reliable car

and the fact i've just quit smoking will mean i will have some spare funds

i have decided to save up and purchase this car a friend

i feel, in my personal opinion a Citroen XM will satisfy those needs rather well

so yes, there may be even more joyous citroen shennanigans over the coming year

Nurse, there’s another one! It must be contagious.

5 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Ah, welcome to the Gluttons for Punishment Club 😁

That being said, a sorted one should serve you well. It seems Citroens of this age do like to give the owners pain if they've been neglected by the previous owner(s).

but where is the fun in a sorted one? this C5 wasn't a sorted one, it is now and it's been great fun

yes citroens can certainly give fun when they're neglected

but yes an XM, i unfortunately drove one recently, and i really liked it which was expected

i would like to become an expert on the hydropneumatic system

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

yes, yes it is unfortunately

never loved a car like i love this, i also have an urge for an XM....so why not have both

I don’t disagree. Just keep your eyes open. I considered part ex ing my c5 exclusive for a very late w reg XM TCT with 50,000 miles on it. £3500 I think ( 15 years ago though ).  It had one previous owner and a history file showing an average spend of £2000 a year and still had a blowing manifold and leaking steering rack.

https://www.carandclassic.com/list/15/xm/

5 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I don’t disagree. Just keep your eyes open. I considered part ex ing my c5 exclusive for a very late w reg XM TCT with 50,000 miles on it. £3500 I think ( 15 years ago though ).  It had one previous owner and a history file showing an average spend of £2000 a year and still had a blowing manifold and leaking steering rack.

https://www.carandclassic.com/list/15/xm/

i think my total expenditure on this C5 is about £3,800 now, going to be over 4k once the belts are done

financially absolutely not worth it, but i like it so to me it's worth it

if i can spend 2k a year on the C5 and about the same on an XM i'll be somewhat happy

i mean it's absolutely terrible, but for some reason i don't mind doing it

3 minutes ago, maxxo said:

i think my total expenditure on this C5 is about £3,800 now, going to be over 4k once the belts are done

financially absolutely not worth it, but i like it so to me it's worth it

if i can spend 2k a year on the C5 and about the same on an XM i'll be somewhat happy

i mean it's absolutely terrible, but for some reason i don't mind doing it

Also be aware that c5s don’t rust to my knowledge but Xm s do. Especially the sills if they’ve been jacked up using the well, the jack. When the six cylinders let me borrow theirs it did confirm that it’s a lovely drive but too big for me. I also had a threatening WhatsApp from my mechanic friend.

EC2C2B7C-7996-4889-BF6A-C172B13BC5F8.jpeg

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Also be aware that c5s don’t rust to my knowledge but Xm s do. Especially the sills if they’ve been jacked up using the well, the jack.

as an ex xsara picasso owner, i'm used to rot

don't mind dealing with it, it will be a second car so i'll be in no rush to get it sorted etc

i want to learn properly how to sort more complex issues on cars, therefore i feel an XM is a perfect* car to learn on