2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

I had the same on my Micra years back. Liberal application of spray grease (with something behind the joint to prevent overspray on the carpet) was all that was required.

ahhhh you see because french this is different

it's on a bar and connects through the firewall on the passenger side

so where is actually squeaking god knows

that's also the side the brake switch etc is

6 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I think you're getting mixed up with Vauxhall there... :D

You'd kick yourself if you sold it I reckon. 

the only way i'd sell it is if i got offered a face-lift 2.0hdi 16v with the 6 speed auto box....those are nice

i had contemplated selling it for a C6 but i shouldn't

tbh, i can't see myself selling it for a long time

it's been a fantastic ownership experience, really are fantastic cars i can completely reccomend

only if maintained....

Just had an absolutely love evening drive in some very heavy rain

god these things are good

and i mean really good

yes it's not quite as floaty as an XM but it's such an ideal car

extremely comfortable, very very composed and really refined considering it's age

i'd even go so far to say it's probably one of the best estate cars out there

what else is such a good all rounder? ovlov v70? maybe, but i bet it's not as floaty and comfy

also, auto wipers have been working perfectly for months which is excellent

i do forget sometimes just how good this car actually is

this will be going into the garage next month to get the rear suspension leak sorted

otherwise

zilch, nada, nothing, zero issues

what a bloody fantastic purchase this one is

please don't fear these, yes i know electrically they're complex and do weird stuff but they're utterly fantastic

imo better than a xantia

i can honestly, hand on heart completely reccomend the C5

so much so, in the coming 5 or so years i'll be buying another, a newer one obviously

2 hours ago, maxxo said:

this will be going into the garage next month to get the rear suspension leak sorted

otherwise

zilch, nada, nothing, zero issues

what a bloody fantastic purchase this one is

please don't fear these, yes i know electrically they're complex and do weird stuff but they're utterly fantastic

imo better than a xantia

i can honestly, hand on heart completely reccomend the C5

so much so, in the coming 5 or so years i'll be buying another, a newer one obviously

This thread alone has me looking at C5's as even the later facelifted ones are reaching the 2000€ mark here.

Wondering how good or bad these are with the 1.6 HDI and a manual box 

1 minute ago, OM646 said:

Wondering how good or bad these are with the 1.6 HDI and a manual box 

They're not a bad car. We had a facelift one many years ago, dad sold it with 200,000 miles on it and it was still going strong. 

They got a bad rep early on as they had a bit of a long service interval and had a tendency get a little sludgy due to neglect (sometimes shitting turbos due to starvation). However they're pretty solid, the 110bhp ones suit the car and I think the facelift mk1 still looks nice. It was only a 5sp but it had all the toys being the VTS+, it was geared for the motorway too so didn't miss the extra cog.

Buy one with a service history that's been looked after, any of the ones that have made it this long will probably keep on going. The same engine was used in practically everything at one point; Fords, Volvos, anything PSA, Suzukis, Minis I think too. Only time we had trouble it was self inflicted where I ran it dry (dad still winds me up about that) Change the filter and a few squeezes of the built in primer and away we went again. 

I miss my C5s, I'd two 2.0 ones like @maxxo here has and shared the 1.6 facelift with Dad. Solid solid cars, it's only a shame that the later ones, the MK2 weren't nearly as good. 

17 minutes ago, Spurious said:

They're not a bad car. We had a facelift one many years ago, dad sold it with 200,000 miles on it and it was still going strong. 

They got a bad rep early on as they had a bit of a long service interval and had a tendency get a little sludgy due to neglect (sometimes shitting turbos due to starvation). However they're pretty solid, the 110bhp ones suit the car and I think the facelift mk1 still looks nice. It was only a 5sp but it had all the toys being the VTS+, it was geared for the motorway too so didn't miss the extra cog.

Buy one with a service history that's been looked after, any of the ones that have made it this long will probably keep on going. The same engine was used in practically everything at one point; Fords, Volvos, anything PSA, Suzukis, Minis I think too. Only time we had trouble it was self inflicted where I ran it dry (dad still winds me up about that) Change the filter and a few squeezes of the built in primer and away we went again. 

I miss my C5s, I'd two 2.0 ones like @maxxo here has and shared the 1.6 facelift with Dad. Solid solid cars, it's only a shame that the later ones, the MK2 weren't nearly as good. 

I know a friend with a late MK2 (163 bhp) and he swears by it! He searched endlessly for a perfect spec for him though

1.6 HDI is a really common engine here. That's another reason why I don't see why people worry so much about these. They're everywhere and with cheap parts around here. Might get one as a runaround when I'm done with uni. Plus i love the facelift interior with the 407 switchgear and yellow/orange dash lighting 

Even though, knowing myself, it'll most likely go from a runaround to a full blown project...

2 minutes ago, OM646 said:

I know a friend with a late MK2 (163 bhp) and he swears by it! He searched endlessly for a perfect spec for him though

They're not terrible cars. They eat power steering racks and they're not cheap. 

Dad later had one and my mother has one still. Dad's was a 138bhp one and was very tired when he got rid of it. It had 3 front window regulators on it. 

Mam's is a 163 one too, high spec with the spheres. It's also got 378,000km on the clock, lots of rattles, paints tired, rear suspension bushings are gone and needed new injectors last year but it's still soldering on. Drove it last week and it's not as rapid as I remember but it still rides well and pulls well enough apart from a wheel that needs balancing badly. 

A handsome car, if you're getting one get a diesel. The DW engines are great, better than any of the muck BMW was churning out at that time. And leave a few hundred aside for a reconditioned steering rack as they all eventually leak. 

had a bit of an incident yesterday involving the C5 and a bus

May be an image of car

No photo description available.

driving along, parked cars either side a bus pulled in to let me through so i went through

once i was commited the bus driver changed his mind, drove at me at speed before slamming on

i swerved unfortunately clipping the mirror of a parked car (undamaged) and then the bus hit my drivers side mirror

then just drove off

cue me doing the fasted 3 point turn in history, wheel spin n everything to catch up with the bus

May be an image of outdoors

which i did

damage wise, not overly bothered tbh, just little marks

but the entire situation annoyed me enough to report it to the bus operator

12 minutes ago, maxxo said:

had a bit of an incident yesterday involving the C5 and a bus

May be an image of car

No photo description available.

driving along, parked cars either side a bus pulled in to let me through so i went through

once i was commited the bus driver changed his mind, drove at me at speed before slamming on

i swerved unfortunately clipping the mirror of a parked car (undamaged) and then the bus hit my drivers side mirror

then just drove off

cue me doing the fasted 3 point turn in history, wheel spin n everything to catch up with the bus

May be an image of outdoors

which i did

damage wise, not overly bothered tbh, just little marks

but the entire situation annoyed me enough to report it to the bus operator

I have a driver’s side mirror (in the wrong colour) and which only adjusts in one direction. Would you like it to try to make one good mirror out of two? I’m thinking to replace the black plastic body in your picture that is damaged. 

I was going to bin it. 

6 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

I have a driver’s side mirror (in the wrong colour) and which only adjusts in one direction. Would you like it to try to make one good mirror out of two? I’m thinking to replace the black plastic body in your picture that is damaged. 

I was going to bin it. 

could do actually, going to try and wedge the black plastic back over the cover

it still folds fine and adjusts electrically, wasn't too hard of a wack

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

could do actually, going to try and wedge the black plastic back over the cover

it still folds fine and adjusts electrically, wasn't too hard of a wack

Cool. Send me a PM of where you’d like it sent. It take until next week or at the end of the month. 

happily driving along a dual carriageway today

cruise set to 60, went to overtake someone so pushed the throttle

nothing, nada

in fact i started to lose speed, it was a slightly uphill section

i was in the outside lane so started pushing the throttle some more

nothing

full throttle, gearbox kicked down and then i shot off in a huge cloud of diesel clag

of course, absolutely fine since

hmmmmmm i don't like that

now it was 25c, i had the air con on full pelt but surely that wouldn't cause that

now, i don't know if it's just me being hyper aware

but on my trip back home, again a very hot day

the car felt, different if that makes sense? no bad noises, smells or anything just felt a bit different

oh, and the gearbox seemed to slip twice, just slightly, on a 2nd to 3rd shift

of course, i just filled it up with diesel too

i wish it would just bring up a warning light or something

i suppose a lexia session is needed

could also be related, sometimes if you accelerate hard from a standstill

absolutely nothing until 2.5k then you fly off at high speed

which is annoying pulling out onto a busy junction

something is amiss

gearbox is not slipping, engine revs do not increase

you'd expect them to in that scenario due to the torque converter being unlocked