2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

still going well, for the most part

however

it's started to do something really fun

gearbox is fine 99% of the time

however say you're driving for 20 minutes or so on a dual carriaegway etc at 60-70-80 whatever

you slow down to navigate a roundabout or a tight slip road causing it to shift down

then you speed back up

it's started to flare up the revs before it shifts into 4th with a thud

which is nice

especially after the recent fun with the XM

3 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

I think these boxes are prone to being a bit slow to engage gears. Do remind me is it the 4 speed or 6 speed box fitted? I expect 6 speed but thought I'd best check

4 speed with torque converter lockup! 

It's not a very good box, but I quite like them......

20 minutes ago, maxxo said:

4 speed with torque converter lockup! 

It's not a very good box, but I quite like them......

Ah right, for some reason I had it in my mind it was a 6 speed in your C5

I'll pick my brains, I'm sure there's a gem of info in there somewhere about them but it's been a very long time since I've dealt with one of those boxes! 

4 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ah right, for some reason I had it in my mind it was a 6 speed in your C5

I'll pick my brains, I'm sure there's a gem of info in there somewhere about them but it's been a very long time since I've dealt with one of those boxes! 

The later C5s, the face-lift, had 6 speed boxes by ZF for the diesels 

I imagine they're vastly superior to the al4

First thought - does it do it in manual mode? 

i.e cruise in 4th at the same speed for the same time, slow down to a speed appropriate for 3rd and shift, then shift to 4th and speed back up. Does 4th engage nicely? 

If that's fine, I'd hazard a guess it's ok mechanically/internally but rather there's something sticking within the lockup or  automatic shift system

Unfortunately Autoboxes aren't really my specialty :(

7 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

First thought - does it do it in manual mode? 

i.e cruise in 4th at the same speed for the same time, slow down to a speed appropriate for 3rd and shift, then shift to 4th and speed back up. Does 4th engage nicely? 

If that's fine, I'd hazard a guess it's ok mechanically/internally but rather there's something sticking within the lockup or  automatic shift system

Unfortunately Autoboxes aren't really my specialty :(

No point in trying that, it only ever does it on the same junction and section of road weirdly? It doesn't make any sense 

If I tried it in manual mode it wouldn't do it, cos it never shifts like that again 

I've noticed it shifts way worse during light throttle, which again, makes no sense 

5 minutes ago, maxxo said:

No point in trying that, it only ever does it on the same junction and section of road weirdly? It doesn't make any sense 

If I tried it in manual mode it wouldn't do it, cos it never shifts like that again 

I've noticed it shifts way worse during light throttle, which again, makes no sense 

Ok now that is weird! 

Again, as you suggest I'd expect harsher shifts on heavy throttle rather than light

Very very bizarre

Probably going to be best to wait and see if it gets worse, then it might be easier to pinpoint

2 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Ok now that is weird! 

Again, as you suggest I'd expect harsher shifts on heavy throttle rather than light

Very very bizarre

Probably going to be best to wait and see if it gets worse, then it might be easier to pinpoint

Oh I'm sure it will 😂

I like this car so much, so I'll be doing what it takes to keep it going 

Service done today

We checked the codes whilst it was there

Screenshot_20220518-234038_Facebook.thumb.jpg.4579fb9480558b027c93809a41e65469.jpg

as you can see, gearbox code

now this is a slipping code (brake bands/clutches)

Now, I know what it'll need in the next 50k or so

A new or rebuilt transmission

I'm going to do it as well

2k I'd say would get it done

I stress its not needed quite yet, but in the next few years it's a job I'll be getting done

I really don't have the skills to rebuild an auto transmission so I'll get someone to do it so it'll actually work

2k on what will be a 20+ year old 220k odd citroen.....yes

I'm going to get it to 200k and see how it is, then if its got worse I'll get the box replaced/rebuilt

I like the car, a lot, and what else decent is there for 2k thats equivalent? Not going to be easy to find something actually good and not fucked without buying new.....which would be my other choice

Otherwise, car is doing great, gearbox is good don't get me wrong but sometimes it slips slightly going into 4th which I'm keeping an eye on

Treating your thread again as a sort of C5 appreciation thread, sorry!

My sister is down to visit and I’ve just taken her 2.2 C5 to Chevronics for a service and MOT. I noticed it’s now  cracked 201,000 miles now and still drives amazingly well! 

Parked it up next to a nice looking V6 C5 saloon.  These have aged very well. 

A30E947E-2DC5-41D0-9FD7-0D428FCCD237.jpeg

1BBD9872-C427-485B-B425-2A59272A2742.jpeg

3 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Treating your thread again as a sort of C5 appreciation thread, sorry!

My sister is down to visit and I’ve just taken her 2.2 C5 to Chevronics for a service and MOT. I noticed it’s now  cracked 201,000 miles now and still drives amazingly well! 

Parked it up next to a nice looking V6 C5 saloon.  These have aged very well. 

A30E947E-2DC5-41D0-9FD7-0D428FCCD237.jpeg

1BBD9872-C427-485B-B425-2A59272A2742.jpeg

As I say, they're quite simply excellent machines 

V6 is perhaps the ultimate 

I love the way they look myself