2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

23 minutes ago, maxxo said:

yes, it feels weird and i like it

Jesus Christ 😂

I get the same feeling from the BX though, so I definitely get your drift! Colleague of mine from work said his kids would say "we have liftoff!" when the family CX rose when the engine started.

8 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Jesus Christ 😂

I get the same feeling from the BX though, so I definitely get your drift! Colleague of mine from work said his kids would say "we have liftoff!" when the family CX rose when the engine started.

well the simple fact is all citroen hydropneumatic systems are vastly superior to coil springs

and it's just cool

cos it floats and i love that sensation

4 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Like driving a very comfy chair. It's sublime.

indeed

now this car uses the later LDS fluid compared to LHM, and it's a less complex system apparently

advantage of the C5s is the length of time spheres lasts, mines on it's originals as far as i know and 152k miles and 17 years later they are still wonderful and soft

conventional brakes however, still very good

but apart from ocasionally getting caught out by sharp bumps in the road and potholes etc i'm a huge fan

2 minutes ago, maxxo said:

advantage of the C5s is the length of time spheres lasts, mines on it's originals as far as i know and 152k miles and 17 years later they are still wonderful and soft

32 years later and mine are still just fine. Granted, at least 18 of those years were spent doing nothing in a garage...

The newer system intrigues me quite a bit, what with the electronic pump and all that. An interesting idea, shame they don't do it anymore.

43 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

32 years later and mine are still just fine. Granted, at least 18 of those years were spent doing nothing in a garage...

The newer system intrigues me quite a bit, what with the electronic pump and all that. An interesting idea, shame they don't do it anymore.

One of the reasons I wanted a cx was that there were no electronics, just physics and engineering. Never had an issue with the high pressure systems in either car from 1999 to 2006 as an everyday driver and about 80,000miles. Then I had the c5 and did 55,000miles in that - no suspension issues at all. Many other problems though that I have moaned about before - gear change cables, egr valve, washer pump, heater control block ( four of these), coil block, four sets of plugs ( £8 each), fuel pump (€900), fuel regulator, rear discs ( usual Citroen calliper issue), timing belt and pulley that fell apart at half the mileage for the change. Never again.

1 hour ago, maxxo said:

but apart from ocasionally getting caught out by sharp bumps in the road and potholes etc i'm a huge fan

Add speed humps to that list. I keep forgetting that the C5 isn't like the GSA. The older car sails over speed humps like they aren't even there. The C5, doesn't. It annoys me that in its final years, hydropneumaticness was really falling short in the comfort stakes. Can I honestly say mine rides better than the Rover 75? I'm not sure. Seats are better though...

5 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Add speed humps to that list. I keep forgetting that the C5 isn't like the GSA. The older car sails over speed humps like they aren't even there. The C5, doesn't. It annoys me that in its final years, hydropneumaticness was really falling short in the comfort stakes. Can I honestly say mine rides better than the Rover 75? I'm not sure. Seats are better though...

you see, i've been doing some tests and it massively depends on the speed bumps

the softer ones i don't even slow down for

i must admit i do like the electric pump etc, it works really very well indeed

i'm quite a fan of the ride, i would like hydractive3+ for the adaptive suspension, but normal 3 is good enough

i'd be interested in seeing how it rides in comparison to a xantia (suspect very similar tbh)

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

it's a well thought out system, and seems to be very reliable

the interesting thing i've found is it doesn't always self level when you get out, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't

always levels when unlocked/get in

Just now, maxxo said:

the interesting thing i've found is it doesn't always self level when you get out, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't

Interesting- I've never witnessed that with my car... Then again, I'm usually getting out when the engine is off and therefore the pump isn't turning.

4 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Interesting- I've never witnessed that with my car... Then again, I'm usually getting out when the engine is off and therefore the pump isn't turning.

feel free to have a go of mine whenever you wish, it doesn't drive like a big car!

i reckon i may replace the spheres at some point and see how it changes the ride

8 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Mine used to get very confused by parking spots that were off camber. Spent a couple of minutes self adjusting itself but never quite got it right. 

4 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Mine used to get very confused by parking spots that were off camber. Spent a couple of minutes self adjusting itself but never quite got it right. 

ha ha mine got confused today when i stopped half on a speed bump to let someone past

did a fair bit of adjusting itself

i've not felt it lower itself at 60 mph either

Just now, maxxo said:

ha ha mine got confused today when i stopped half on a speed bump to let someone past

did a fair bit of adjusting itself

i've not felt it lower itself at 60 mph either

It's only by 1.5cm above 60. You probably wouldn't feel it nor hear the pump ,or that's what I always thought

I used to really rate it on Irish roads; pockmarked, undulating and a poor surfaces were super common round me and it was like nothing else; super comfy and to be honest, safe. Very safe; super strong brakes and predictable handling. 

It would of course get caught out by bad sudden potholes, but doesn't any car. 

4 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I used to really rate it on Irish roads; pockmarked, undulating and a poor surfaces were super common round me and it was like nothing else; super comfy and to be honest, safe. Very safe; super strong brakes and predictable handling. 

It would of course get caught out by bad sudden potholes, but doesn't any car. 

i personally love how controlled the body roll is, really does feel nicely planted

theres a terrible road round by me, this just glides over it! makes it so pleasant

also very surprised at how good nexen tyres are, really feels rock solid

some more tinkering today

bodywork again

front bumper this time

had this nasty scrape

176372008_3986815678042502_7107593563189243597_n.thumb.jpg.536167b235a7ead125d162070521fce3.jpg

masked it off n everything, professional yo!

174140466_3986815891375814_5958909942554819443_n.thumb.jpg.dd24e0cf692097e2ac9aca7c54376560.jpg

honestly, as someone who has pretty much no experience with bodywork

i'm relatively pleased with the results, perhaps i put the paint on too thick and ideally should have resprayed the whole trim piece

still really really liking this one, i adore the way it drives

On 4/20/2021 at 9:24 PM, dollywobbler said:

I must admit we looked at a C5 and it was indeed comfortable. This was when they were still current. 

We then bought a launch rover 75 not long after they went out of business but this was a dealer launch with 15 inch crowns. It did seem to ride ever so slightly better. The 75 interior space was not a patch on the C5. Also the serparate armrests were a bonus over the centre cubby armrest on the 75.

I will always like these c5s and would love one somewhen. 

8 minutes ago, montytom said:

I must admit we looked at a C5 and it was indeed comfortable. This was when they were still current. 

We then bought a launch rover 75 not long after they went out of business but this was a dealer launch with 15 inch crowns. It did seem to ride ever so slightly better. The 75 interior space was not a patch on the C5. Also the serparate armrests were a bonus over the centre cubby armrest on the 75.

it was between a 75 or a C5 for me this time, one thing that put me off the 75 was the dials and radio area, just don't really like it that much

added into the fact they're more expensive than C5s

C5 was my final choice, wanted something hydraulic anyway as i have back issues and the ride is pretty much perfect for that

20 minutes ago, maxxo said:

it was between a 75 or a C5 for me this time, one thing that put me off the 75 was the dials and radio area, just don't really like it that much

C5 was my final choice, wanted something hydraulic anyway as i have back issues and the ride is pretty much perfect for that

The 75 did garner some marmite like reactions with the clocks. I absolutely adore them. As said I would love to own one somewhen as they seem a nice large car with big comfy seats. 

Really are lovely looking cars aswell

22 minutes ago, maxxo said:

The dials and the dash are what made the 75 a little bit special.................especially the dials.......

23 minutes ago, colc said:

The dials and the dash are what made the 75 a little bit special.................especially the dials.......

i'm aware, the dash was wonderful but on the non satnav models with the factory stereo it left me feeling a bit meh

same with the dials, just the oval shape sort of put me off

2 hours ago, montytom said:

Your 75 review is accurate, but I will add that I'm yet to drive a Rover 75 or MG ZT that has a pleasant clutch pedal. They're all creaky, stiff and horrible. The C5 wins for that and gearchange. I reckon the BMW engine does a better job at pulling below 1500rpm though.