2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

1 minute ago, maxxo said:

i shall be walking round for many hours, staring at my phone, constantly refreshing the MOT checker website

Mine is going in for the MOT towards the end of the month, the first under my ownership. I was bad enough with my Grandad's Punto never mind waiting for the results of mine. Haha.

12 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Mine is going in for the MOT towards the end of the month, the first under my ownership. I was bad enough with my Grandad's Punto never mind waiting for the results of mine. Haha.

this is the first under my ownership, my old picasso caused me enough fun during MOT times!

3 minutes ago, yes oui si said:

Do you have to start parking like a cunt if you own one? It's kinda putting me off the idea tbh... 

He'd parked like that first, not the best way to park but out of convenience I parked next to him

And I didn't want to get too close to that BMW as it was quite new and didn't want to damage it incase I slipped getting out the car etc

helped the owner of the grey one out around a month ago when his car was hit by giving him the headlamp i'd removed from mine

271542646_621801198925505_5600226714128509822_n.thumb.jpg.c5ce27cc0ed4ddc8954aa2c1123aea78.jpg

became friends, met up today and asked me if i'd like a go, yes please, first time driving a manual C5, very good

i do rather enjoy Citroen related activities

29 minutes ago, Spurious said:

The manuel is decent, it's fairly long geared, used to pootle about town in 3rd. 

it's a nice and precise box too, which surprised me

mind you, the last manual citroen i drove properly was a xsara picasso.......that's not the nicest feeling box

Busy busy day delivering parts and having a ride in a  XM

Middlesbrough, to new Brighton, to Anglesey, back to new Brighton and back to Middlesbrough 

Reset the trip upon leaving this morning, did the trip on a tank 

Not even tired! Rather pleased with the economy too

The car did absolutely superb, so very comfortable, effortless and with zero issues 

20220126_213857.jpg

20220126_213905.jpg

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

I like them too. They are a pig to work on compared to a C5. The chap who used to do work on them in Ireland didn't like them that much to work on however. C5 is much more traditional car really. 

C5 is more refined obviously its a generation newer, likely a better daily driver

I would buy an XM, it would be a second car and stored over winter to prevent corrosion etc 

But they're absolutely lovely 

seems yesterdays trip did her some good

i never really short journey the car, and most my trips involve a good bit of dual carriageway etc

but she's running an awful lot better, economy is massively improved and she's even riding better!

i'm seriously considering doing some proper rust proofing, there is barely anything on the car but i want to keep it that way

any reccomendations?

I never did anything with my two and both had paint damage where the paint was cracked off and bare metal exposed that never corroded.

Bilt Hamber is one product that often gets positive mentions.

The only stuff I have used in the distant past was Waxoyl that didn't impress me and something that seems to have vanished that passivated existing light rusting and changed it into a protective film, a bit like verdigris on copper.

A long run does seem to be very good for them.  I drove to Hastings via London one evening then back (to Washington) the following day and managed almost 60 mpg.  Usually much less, 35~40 mpg.

Also, loading it to the gills improves the suspension.  I swiped a load of scrap MDF from work and took it to the house of one of the cleaners.  Estate well overloaded and drove really well, slowly as it was speed bumps all the way.  Very noticeable improvement in the suspension for a while after.

26 minutes ago, maxxo said:

seems yesterdays trip did her some good

i never really short journey the car, and most my trips involve a good bit of dual carriageway etc

but she's running an awful lot better, economy is massively improved and she's even riding better!

i'm seriously considering doing some proper rust proofing, there is barely anything on the car but i want to keep it that way

any reccomendations?

Oh, did you go for a drive somewhere? :)

On 1/27/2022 at 11:08 PM, myglaren said:

I never did anything with my two and both had paint damage where the paint was cracked off and bare metal exposed that never corroded.

Bilt Hamber is one product that often gets positive mentions.

The only stuff I have used in the distant past was Waxoyl that didn't impress me and something that seems to have vanished that passivated existing light rusting and changed it into a protective film, a bit like verdigris on copper.

A long run does seem to be very good for them.  I drove to Hastings via London one evening then back (to Washington) the following day and managed almost 60 mpg.  Usually much less, 35~40 mpg.

Also, loading it to the gills improves the suspension.  I swiped a load of scrap MDF from work and took it to the house of one of the cleaners.  Estate well overloaded and drove really well, slowly as it was speed bumps all the way.  Very noticeable improvement in the suspension for a while after.

many thanks for the reply

going to research Bilt Hamber and read up on it

and yes, it's driving vastly better than before, perhaps helped as it was rather loaded with wheels and various C5 bits

2 hours ago, maxxo said:

well today was exciting

noticed someone breaking a C5 exclusive......so obviously i had to ask for the obvious part

the second sun visor!

272677471_356316516029222_7371431442783712799_n.thumb.jpg.585f4130d44621ea42ae98d75d49c350.jpg

now look how cool i can be!

My Saab has these double sun visors. They've been used a lot in the recent low sun. Makes me feel very smug. 

However, I now worry I won't be able to go back to a single sun visor'd car