2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

7 hours ago, grogee said:

I sympathize, tricky decision. I think with the amount of miles on it I would be tempted to weigh it in and spend £500 sorting another one out. You could even pull off the 'good' bits from yours for a future replacement (eg spheres). They seem to be quite plentiful. 

Does it have to be an auto or is that just a 'nice to have'?

Another cheap gamble could be to throw in some automatic fluid 'snake oil' from Hellfrauds - there is probably some product that claims to recondition everything for zero effort. If that buys you some miles then it would be a result.

Doesn't have to be an auto, but I drive autos at work and I've got very used to the easy life

That's why I'm holding off servicing it or even filling it up with fuel at the moment, I want to see what Monday holds, if it doesn't sort it then well........its decision time

I'd probably throw in some snake oil and see if that can get me some more miles until the right replacement comes along 

Have you changed the oil in the box?

It is a bit of a performance but can work wonders - although it may not.

Has to be done in three stages as a lot is retained in the torque converter.  Has to be done at a specific temperature and afterwards has to have the wear counter reset so you will need access to a Diagbox.

Has worked wonders for some, others not a thing.

They are very fussy about the oil used too, you can't just chuck Dexron in.

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Have you changed the oil in the box?

It is a bit of a performance but can work wonders - although it may not.

Has to be done in three stages as a lot is retained in the torque converter.  Has to be done at a specific temperature and afterwards has to have the wear counter reset so you will need access to a Diagbox.

Has worked wonders for some, others not a thing.

They are very fussy about the oil used too, you can't just chuck Dexron in.

Done it twice......

Didn't see the point in doing the third as the second change offered no improvement, it struggles to lock up and unlock when cold which dirty fluid probably wouldn't cause 

It really does feel like an oil pressure issue, pressures are fine in lexia so doubt its the pump

called them last night to see how they're getting on

they've road tested it, agreed it's absolutely horrendous.......

ran a scan and like i did saw a pressure regulation fault

and they were removing the valve block yesterday, so i'll hopefully hear from them today or tomorrow with an update

i don't know just got a gut feeling about this and it's not good news

all being well though, it's getting a service in the next week or so and then replacement spheres

19 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Happy it’s back working, but be aware that the bills will keep on coming. Fantastic but needy £ like most big Citroen’s I’ve had.

well yes, it is an utterly fantastic car, they really hit the sweet spot with this

but really, has it held up any worse than an equivelantly aged Passat etc.......i don't think so

going to run it as a main car for the next few years then i'm going to treat myself and get a brand new car for a bit

this will be staying though as a second car and then i can really start to preserve it

Good stuff, always wondered what the big DW10 would be like with a Auto box, I can imagine it's rather relaxed.  What's it like cruising? I seem to remember the 5spd is cruising at 1950rpm at 60mph.  I'd hope the top ratio wouldn't be sacraficed for acceleration.  Always a comprimse when you loose a ratio.

3 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Good stuff, always wondered what the big DW10 would be like with a Auto box, I can imagine it's rather relaxed.  What's it like cruising? I seem to remember the 5spd is cruising at 1950rpm at 60mph.  I'd hope the top ratio wouldn't be sacraficed for acceleration.  Always a comprimse when you loose a ratio.

About 2200 rpm at 70 so not bad at all

Very much a box for cruising 

Incredibly relaxed, really suits the engine and the car, I suspect this has been remapped as its quite rapid 

Done a few hundred miles now

Shifts are so much better, especially when cold, yes you still get the occasional rough shift but I can live with that

However, driving home from Scarborough the other day there was a fair few hills and traffic and it popped up gearbox fault for about 2 seconds then cleared itself? Which was unusual 

Has been fine since 

Going to lexia it tomorrow

9 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

Chicken feed compared to the cost of running a new car, the C5 looks good, great to see you improving it.

I will be doing a new car one day, just cos I've always wanted to

But thank you, really looking forward to the end of the week, in theory should be mechanically perfect

when it rains it pours

got a slight bit of kangerooing when cold at around 2k rpm......think it's an injector issue

gearbox feels fine, ocassional rough shift which is a bit disapointing

it performs quite reasonable when cold, certainly not bringing up a fault but it just feels a bit iffy still if that makes sense, significantly better than before however

going to have to keep an eye on this, quite unsure on what to do if it starts acting up again

getting a service tomorrow, to see if that improves matters

i also noticed today it seemed very very sluggish, no warning lights or anything just didn't seem to have 110 bhp

i just don't understand why whenever i spend a load on a car to try and get it properly sorted it just bites me

not feeling the happiest at the moment with the project, i can see why people lease moderns at times like this

13 minutes ago, Spurious said:

A bad MAF sensor won't throw much up on Lexia and it will cause it to run very very sluggish below 2.5k rpm.

i'm aware the flow correction figures for the injectors are a bit more varied than they should be

good thinking regarding the MAF sensor, might try unplugging it and see what happens