2003 Citroen C5 estate.....the end

maxxo

3 hours ago, rainagain said:

Regarding the air bag fault, my 307 HDi does similar things if I’ve left it for ages and the battery is a bit flat. I think the airbag module doesn’t like the low voltage and throws up a fault. This is why it clears next time you restart. It looks like your excessive cranking dropped the battery voltage too much for it. 

used my resistor battery tester today on the battery, all checked out fine as i'd expect as the battery isn't that old

got a few ideas of what to check, of course the car behaved today so couldn't listen and see if i could hear the lift pump

99% certain i could though

8 hours ago, maxxo said:used my resistor battery tester today on the battery, all checked out fine as i'd expect as the battery isn't that old

got a few ideas of what to check, of course the car behaved today so couldn't listen and see if i could hear the lift pump

99% certain i could though

And this is why your thread is resurrecting my nervous tick from my c5 ownership. It drives along beautifully for months and years at a time but keeps throwing up bing bing error messages. Marvin the paranoid android designed the system I think.

46 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

And this is why your thread is resurrecting my nervous tick from my c5 ownership. It drives along beautifully for months and years at a time but keeps throwing up bing bing error messages. Marvin the paranoid android designed the system I think.

they're not scary

they are reliable, it's random errors but extremely rare for them to actually fail to proceed

or maybe i'm a masochist?

park facing up hill

car is fine if left for say 5 minutes, starts perfectly

if left for half an hour or so then long crank

also did a longer than expected crank today on the level

again 99% certain the lift pump was running

13 hours ago, maxxo said:

they're not scary

they are reliable, it's random errors but extremely rare for them to actually fail to proceed

We ran one for 5 years and the only actual ftp was when the dmf disintegrated  about a mile from home. The egr stuck a couple of times (1.6hdi) but the car remained mobile at reduced power.

5 minutes ago, rickvw72 said:

The HDI likes to spin fast to fire I find. Think there were even 2 power levels of starter motor.

Does it turn over as quick cold as hot, or any difference?

depends what mood it's in

some days it's a little slow

slower cranking when cold, really quite slow at times

battery is fine

warm can be 50/50

20 hours ago, maxxo said:

they're not scary

You’re a masochist!

mine left me stuck at the side of the road more than any car I’ve owned. And that was when it was only four years old!

Try a good starter would be the first thing. You have high fuel pressure needed and they struggle to build it turning over slowly. (All common rail derv similar).

Lift pump would not do anything for this issue I’d have thought. 

Think you could get a 1.3kw or 2.0kw starter on these. The 1.3kw is shite, especially after 12 years odd. 

2 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

Try a good starter would be the first thing. You have high fuel pressure needed and they struggle to build it turning over slowly. (All common rail derv similar).

Lift pump would not do anything for this issue I’d have thought. 

Think you could get a 1.3kw or 2.0kw starter on these. The 1.3kw is shite, especially after 12 years odd. 

first thing to check is around the fuel filter housing, just make sure it's sealing correctly

then yes, i agree a 2.0 kw starter would help massively

okay so the lift pump runs when it cranks for ages

checked under the bonnet can't smell diesel at all or see anything that could be wrong (albeit i'm no expert on common rain high pressure injection systems)

this is really perplexing now

2 minutes ago, maxxo said:

okay so the lift pump runs when it cranks for ages

checked under the bonnet can't smell diesel at all or see anything that could be wrong (albeit i'm no expert on common rain high pressure injection systems)

this is really perplexing now

Start simple, is your fuel filter filthy? They're a simple change and rules out it as a problem. 

8 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Start simple, is your fuel filter filthy? They're a simple change and rules out it as a problem. 

apparently it was replaced before i bought it

i reckon replacing it anyway is worth it, cheap enough too

13 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Looks like you may have got the 1.3kw jobby from the factory anyway. 

20210702_144052.thumb.jpg.b9d3fbcc928ff52ff4690017f3d46112.jpg

20210702_144124.thumb.jpg.8686137b58997d16c499b3c4588ff968.jpg

20210702_144147.thumb.jpg.43e8d4277156e86315c28922f233550e.jpg

hmmmmmmmmmm

very interesting, i imagine after 18 odd years it's not the best either

might be well worth wacking the 2.0 kw model onto it

with many thanks to @dollywobbler for sending me the link

i got some goodies today

210419241_4187881614602573_7868536249412323797_n.thumb.jpg.af32da5312ff09c2a2f45054aeeaf56b.jpg

alpine of course, i also think it's fair to say, the old speakers were less than ideal

212049615_4187881081269293_1624726232849068270_n.thumb.jpg.30da6df0f129bd5c098f01d82360b51b.jpg

210332273_4187880754602659_1212959438819469052_n.thumb.jpg.9faf818c64e68a6b4ebbb40e6e2fd142.jpg

well and truly knackered, i could have repaired them i suppose, but what's the poin

t207393331_4187881347935933_5721711812506270330_n.thumb.jpg.d8ddca2113548e5ae5f304012d8ab6e9.jpg

and yes, it sounds better, in fact an awful lot better

but seeing as the old speakers were ruined and had chunks missing i don't think that was too hard

Thinking today when it cranks for a longer period it's almost as if the lift pump is quieter.....it does still run however

tbh theres only really 4 big things to do on the car

1, sort the starting issue, this is somewhat important i feel

2, gearbox electrovales, that should be joyous

3, rear arm bearings

4...not essential, all 4 spheres, i want to try comfort spheres

now the question is finding a garage to do it, that's going to be fun

10 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Thinking today when it cranks for a longer period it's almost as if the lift pump is quieter.....it does still run however

tbh theres only really 4 big things to do on the car

1, sort the starting issue, this is somewhat important i feel

2, gearbox electrovales, that should be joyous

3, rear arm bearings

4...not essential, all 4 spheres, i want to try comfort spheres

now the question is finding a garage to do it, that's going to be fun

Where in the world are you? 

parked facing up hill today, so out of curiosity i left the ignition on for 5 seconds

lift pump was running and it almost sounded like there was air being removed from the system, extremely quietly and i may have misheard

but if so, then that helps me diagnose it

7 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

Saw this for breaking in Dudley, in case you need some bits. It’s even in your colour! Not sure which Diesel engine it has though. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citroen-c5-estate-breaking-/402973576207?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

yes got in contact with them regarding a high level brake light but have since had no reply

i'd like to find a mint condition (ideally new) tailgate and rear bumper but i feel that won't happen

also thinking of getting the front bumper and bonnet resprayed at some point due to stone chips

Must have changed these about 15 times over 3 cars. 

You can't see the orientation of the bulb when you put it in the housing. Pay attention to the way bulb comes out and hold the new one the same way cos it's all by feel really . Once you get the clip on its not so bad getting the terminal on. 

Oh and you'll get stratches on your hand, there's very little room.  Awkward job really. I think the first time I did it I was at it for a half hour and then there was the time when the new bulb somehow ended up in the housing. 

43 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Must have changed these about 15 times over 3 cars. 

You can't see the orientation of the bulb when you put it in the housing. Pay attention to the way bulb comes out and hold the new one the same way cos it's all by feel really . Once you get the clip on its not so bad getting the terminal on. 

Oh and you'll get stratches on your hand, there's very little room.  Awkward job really. I think the first time I did it I was at it for a half hour and then there was the time when the new bulb somehow ended up in the housing. 

i'm tempted to pay halfords however many pounds they require to suffer the injuries for me, which should be entertaining

however, where is the fun in that

i had a little look a month or so back when i did the other side, and the LDS resovouir and pump are simply massively in the way

i imagine there to be a very large amount of swearing

can't wait!

or i could just ignore it and use the front fogs constantly....of course, they will blow because french

apparently had new bulbs just before i bought it, which i can believe and i have a feeling this is one of those cars that eats them for fun

because why not, they're awkward to do and it's french so i wouldn't expect any different

On my xsara it's an equal twat, but on mine the drivers one was ok*, but the passenger side I had to move the abs block to get at it... 

One of my sidelight bulbs is alot dimmer than the other but it passed its mot like it, and I have zero want to go back in there until another one dies so I just turn my main lights on. 

All the owners clubs say drop the bumper, it might be easier (just) 

I had the first one done by Halfords, made it look easy.

Second one I did myself.  Was far from easy and lost the clip.

Have never been able to do it without removing the bumper.

Sidelights and indicators are easy enough but sidelights were always dying so replaced with LEDs.

Often had to kick the nearside headlight to start that indicator working, the bulb holder was faulty and the contacts failed to make contact sometimes.