Daily DeLorean project (now with Jeep Wrangler "spared no expense")

Justwatching

Transmission fluid and filter changed and rebuilt governor computer installed. It drives much better (i.e. not holding onto gears), but it's still misbehaving. It's actually quite erratic. Transmission appears to slip in second gear, but only sometimes. I don't understand it. It climbed a long and steep hill with no slip at all, but when I tried accelerating from 30 MPH to 50 MPH on flat road, it slipped big time. I have to either back right off or hoof it harder to get it out of the slip. Also seems to have 'episodes' of shifting up and down repeatedly when rolling down after hard acceleration. 

Help!

Oh, and here's some pretty pictures. 

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.bc012a4d9de501570a91c6a6c52c7ba9.JPG

IMG_0437.thumb.JPG.ef3e34bb578a11c3cc52104c072869d4.JPG

IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.e65ffe58ab8dcf0a8c9460df7aad3f03.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I've been driving the DeLorean and learned a bit about more about its problem. The transmission is fine when cold, first problems show up after about 4 miles at which point the shift from 2nd to 3rd become more pronounced. After about 10 miles, this turns into slippage between gears (2nd to 3rd). Another 10 miles or so and it starts slipping in gear (3rd). 

I drained the fluid because it had turned coffee colour. Not good after only 150 miles. I put new fluid in with Lucas Stop Slip (because I'm desperate). Well colour me surprised! It stopped slipping. How long this will last is another matter. I think we're looking at worn clutch packs or a crack in the drum they sit in (known weakness of the Renault 4141 transmission). Either way, I can see a rebuild in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

Further driving has seen a return of transmission slip on long journeys or when accelerating suddenly. I think the DeLorean will have to be limited to semi-local use only until I get the transmission rebuilt. Any recommendations? Ideally Shropshire or North Wales area.

Just inspection and further touch-ups of underseal today. Found a grease fitting on the upper ball joint, so topped that off whilst I was in there. 

IMG_0456.thumb.JPG.0159fe1fa7bde4e546f7b149d888666e.JPG

IMG_0457.thumb.JPG.b73a3cf4f9ae38b9f584b75431eef560.JPG

IMG_0459.thumb.JPG.d4cc5392ca62c0bbdbe7784e377f1367.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

This ticking noise has developed during the course of my ownership and is slowly getting louder. First thought was valve chatter but I can't hear anything in the rocker cover using a stethoscope. Sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine. It gets faster with RPM and louder with load (so, quiet at idle/light load, loud under acceleration).

Thoughts? I'm currently thinking flex plate.

• 2 months later...

Great thread, and great cars!

Did you get anywhere with the ticking? 
If it was the flex plate, it “might” sound different in drive, with a bit off load on it. 
My PRV6 made a ticking noise, after I sold it, because the new owner checked the valve clearances and his new rocker-cover gaskets were too thin and a rocker was tapping on the inside of the cover. Worth having a look in there, in case an adjuster is loose.5FB5B83F-11AA-416F-9070-6A3919EE4FE0.thumb.jpeg.886a8bab3521fd3ba629899fee7a88e9.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Asimo said:

Great thread, and great cars!

Did you get anywhere with the ticking? 
If it was the flex plate, it “might” sound different in drive, with a bit off load on it. 
My PRV6 made a ticking noise, after I sold it, because the new owner checked the valve clearances and his new rocker-cover gaskets were too thin and a rocker was tapping on the inside of the cover. Worth having a look in there, in case an adjuster is loose.

Had the valve covers off last week. Only the inlet valves needed adjustment, and even then, they weren't loose enough to be a problem. All back together and running again. No improvement, but I've not made it worse either, so we'll call it a draw. 

IMG_0688.JPG.fc1b73d3f40bbd046684dbcfd42807c6.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 3:39 PM, Justwatching said:

I've been driving the DeLorean and learned a bit about more about its problem. The transmission is fine when cold, first problems show up after about 4 miles at which point the shift from 2nd to 3rd become more pronounced. After about 10 miles, this turns into slippage between gears (2nd to 3rd). Another 10 miles or so and it starts slipping in gear (3rd). 

I drained the fluid because it had turned coffee colour. Not good after only 150 miles. I put new fluid in with Lucas Stop Slip (because I'm desperate). Well colour me surprised! It stopped slipping. How long this will last is another matter. I think we're looking at worn clutch packs or a crack in the drum they sit in (known weakness of the Renault 4141 transmission). Either way, I can see a rebuild in the future. 

Hi, did you get your transmission rebuilt? I have just had mine done by a place in East Sussex

5 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Thanks for sharing.  Do people stare at you when out and about as if you're from a different time and place?

I wish they only looked. Unfortunately, they pester me.

Pest: Is that a DeLorean?!

Me: Yes.

Pest: Don't see wonna them every day, do ya?!

Me: Well...actually, I do.

Pest: *Insert Back To The Future joke*.

Me: ...

The most common thing is wanting a picture. I don't really understand this; there are plenty of DeLorean pictures on the internet. I try to be accommodating though - as a life-long DeLorean fan, I understand the excitement of seeing one in the wild.   

39 minutes ago, Justwatching said:

I wish they only looked. Unfortunately, they pester me.

Pest: Is that a DeLorean?!

Me: Yes.

Pest: Don't see wonna them every day, do ya?!

Me: Well...actually, I do.

Pest: *Insert Back To The Future joke*.

Me: ...

The most common thing is wanting a picture. I don't really understand this; there are plenty of DeLorean pictures on the internet. I try to be accommodating though - as a life-long DeLorean fan, I understand the excitement of seeing one in the wild.   

Much as I can only imagine it would become tiresome, I'd still be like the rest of them if I saw it in the stainless. I saw BTTF 1 in '85 and as a ten year old lad, I wanted one. They still look fantastic - still wouldn't say no!

• 1 month later...

Woke the DeLorean from hibernation this morning. Tidied some wiring in the fuse box and replaced the oil pressure sensor which had developed a leak. Even wiped the dust and paw prints off.

I'm increasingly convinced the clicking noise is an exhaust manifold leak. The whole exhaust design can get in the sea. Couldn't have come up with something worse if I tried. I'll have a completely new system fabricated at some point, but first the transmission needs sorting. @worldofceri will be taking it for rebuild end of the month. Hopefully, it will be back on the road in earnest. 

IMG_0852.JPG.bef9c94861aebd6567b6d81fcb262244.JPG

IMG_0854.thumb.JPG.fa60a568bd4577de1500472d1a888fda.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up by Ceri this morning (his stand-in Andrew, actually). Now it's off to have the transmission rebuilt. I've asked them to fit a new starter motor while they're in there. Oh, and the exhaust manifold gaskets. Not sure if they'll go for the extra work. We'll see. Really excited at the prospect of getting this to a standard where it can be driven regularly. 

IMG_0872.JPG.5880a7935001af63552ec123f9b2232f.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The LTD is back!

It spent the last 10 months with an incompetent garage. Now it's just differently broken.

I've replaced the brake fluid, repaired a broken ground strap and removed mushrooms growing in the passenger footwell.

IMG_0887.JPG.f1165c52b9c4f578f5693029675bf217.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG.7e9cf1869cb61e2c42edf5ec23d693fd.JPG

The big problem is poor running (high, rough idle) and stalling when put into drive. Definitely pulling a vacuum leak as confirmed by spraying carb cleaner around the carburettor base. Odd, as the garage was supposed to have rebuilt the carb. Well, that gasket doesn't look new to me...

IMG_0884.JPG.7286fe293c1171f754f86bd51bf60d72.JPG

A new gasket then. No biggie, right? Well check out the carburettor spacer plate.

IMG_0878.JPG.37552850cd9701b9d5c249356d466008.JPG

The passageway, which is holed in several places, is part of the EGR system. I think it's too far gone to be repaired. Replacements are scarce. Minded toward fabrication at this point. I want the EGR blocked off whatever I do. Suggestions welcome as I want it back on the road ASAP. 

More tinkering with the Ford while I wait for gaskets to arrive from the US. Today's improvements include cleaning out the rear wheel wells and applying waxoyl, plus a bandage repair to the exhaust as it's blowing next to the fuel tank. The exhaust is shagged and needs replacing, but I can't seem to find one. It will end up being another fabrication job. 

IMG_0895.JPG.7fe3020e05b68d70d46c5400e3d40f89.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG.012263f38d65b382d17db4e6e4844f11.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG.4fd688ad9aa5e0218171c70ab550ec0d.JPG

More Waxoyl today.  Driver side front caliper was sticking a bit. Cleaned it up, greased and pushed the piston in. Hopefully that, plus some regular use, will sort it.

IMG_0906.JPG.fd852d7f3f4e057e28063b0e9d926587.JPG

I've threaded the EGR port and plugged it with a M12 grub screw. A friend is attempting to repair the spacer plate. 

IMG_0908.JPG.5afe90b4191ed58cf2ab923ef076f6cd.JPG

Wheels back on and cleaned her up. Starting to look pretty good!

IMG_0907.JPG.182fcd1d1bd2e7eee04bdec74b56c52e.JPG

The LTD is running and driving! Now with road legal plates!

Idle quality is about 90% there but careful fettling will be needed to finalise.  

Brakes bled but feel spongy/sinky AF. Suspect the master cylinder. Looks very crusty and probably original to the car. 

Tail lights are letting in water. I'll have a go at making new seals myself. In the meantime, it kind of fits in the garage...

IMG_0918.JPG.592a40ba78d4f7362abfb19399045cfc.JPG

The Saab's fate is uncertain. It needs tyres, thermostat, possible suspension work, regular fluid/filter service, also due a cambelt soon. I'm very indifferent about the car and don't really want to spend the money on it. I'm parking it for the time being, but scrap prices make cubing it a temptation. 

IMG_0917.JPG.a429416bd9d0621c174cd1ae9b60c4bc.JPG

Driver's side reverse light socket was shot. Wired in a new one easy enough.

IMG_0920.JPG.e1587091ae7614da0e5dd1fe1f2da47e.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG.6771d62163077f4652d0fbdc9fde2f17.JPG

And that's where my winning streak ended.

Found the reason for water ingress into the boot.

IMG_0923.JPG.db837b033164273ec9b0ef5f4e682aff.JPG

Can't find a new seal, and it wouldn't help anyway if I did. Think I'm going to paint it up and pretend I never saw it consider my options.  

Ordered a new master cylinder but the old one is really fighting me (surprise*). It's had the last of my WD40, for whatever good that does. Only the rear brake line fitting has come loose, and even that is trying to twist the line with it. The front fitting is threatening to round and the nuts on the servo aren't moving at all. Think I'll try fire next. 

IMG_0922.JPG.e2883156049550a435dcb7ddde3a91e9.JPG

• 4 months later...

Fleet update:

I'm being messed around with the DeLorean. Six months and I don't think they've even started. They don't respond to my emails or voice messages. When I manage to catch them on the phone, they never have any progress to report and won't commit to a completion date. Unfortunately, Small Claims Court is where it's heading.

The LTD received two new tyres, a transmission driveshaft seal and parking brake adjustment. I've used it quite a lot this year. Unfortunately, the fuel gauge stopped working, so I've had to record my milage. Worst fuel economy 14.6 MPG, best 18.6.

The Saab was put back on the road yesterday. It only failed MoT inspection on one drop link, so I've decided not to scrap it yet. In fact, I've treated it to a new thermostat, a second-hand set of Vauxhall Vectra steel rims with winter tyres, and some Waxoyl on the front subframe. Gearbox oil is on the way. 

IMG_1034.thumb.JPG.7e8e0d0b9267ab8027772efb8355b04b.JPG

• 2 months later...

Well, it took too long and cost too much, but the DeLorean is finally back from having its transmission repaired. It came home under its own power and did the 60 mile journey without issue. 

Very relieved!

Due to lack of interest, I'm going to discontinue this thread. I will still post from time to time, but I'll put it in the news 24 thread. I think more people will actually see it there.

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.4a7b772b78b46ac66b316a1767a6aa3f.JPG

58 minutes ago, Justwatching said:

Well, it took too long and cost too much, but the DeLorean is finally back from having its transmission repaired. It came home under its own power and did the 60 mile journey without issue. 

Very relieved!

Due to lack of interest, I'm going to discontinue this thread. I will still post from time to time, but I'll put it in the news 24 thread. I think more people will actually see it there.

very awesome to hear the DeLorean is Back! 

it would be sad to see the thread discontinued, perhaps if a lack of interest is an issue, then it might be worth changing the title from time to time to reflect whats going on

im sure "Justwatching's Shite: DeLorean fixed" would probably generate quite a bit of interest! :) 

3 hours ago, Justwatching said:

Very relieved!

I can't like this thread enough - I absolutely love your DeLorean. Funnily enough, I've always been a fan of them since around 1985.

As LBF said, you 100% need to change your thread title. I only stumbled across it accidentally a while back - the current title completely undersells the quality content you're sharing. 

Something like 'My DeLorean now drives again!' would do the job. 

Interested to hear more updates! In the meantime, can you share a photo of the dash with the 'doors open' warning lamp illuminated? Quite possibly the coolest dash warning lamp ever...