Daily DeLorean project (now with Jeep Wrangler "spared no expense")

Justwatching

18 hours ago, Kringle said:

Trouser department is stirring with this thread, hats off to you Mister. Did the time wasters do the transmission or did you move it on to someone else?

They finished what they started. Just as well. What a ball-ache it would have been to get it trailered and find somewhere else to finish it. It's just a shame it came to threatening to sue them for my losses before they pulled their finger out. I don't appreciate doing business on such ugly terms.  

10 hours ago, mcmolloy1 said:

Any more details about the gearbox repair? My V6 renner 25 had it's autobox rebuilt last year (  same 4141 box ) . The guy said the clutch packs were the worst burned out ones he'd ever seen. I've only driven the car about 5 miles since but it now looks like I have OMGHGF! Hope you're having better luck with your prv engine and box

Burnt clutches and plenty of damage on the third gear drum. 

IMG_1103.JPG.b79ebc286e92d70773c94354208ec3ee.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG.2d3fa56cf551d1a1c7cd9dd5fd07143e.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG.685e1e305c093bf48fd1b301e8574e83.JPG

Still, these are symptoms rather than causes. They think the clutches engaged at a cocked angle, gouged one side of the drum and made it rotate unevenly on the shaft, but they weren't sure what instigated it. 

When I purchased the car, the transmission governor computer was malfunctioning and caused it to rev excessively before shifting. The previous owner driving on a bad transmission governor probably did the damage. That's my theory, anyway. 

On 12/12/2022 at 5:09 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

In the meantime, can you share a photo of the dash with the 'doors open' warning lamp illuminated? Quite possibly the coolest dash warning lamp ever...

Went to get this for you today before disconnecting the battery. The door warning light doesn't illuminate! I'll look into it at some point, but probably not until the weather gets warmer. 

The DeLorean resumed its spot in the carport. Turns out it's not as water-tight as I thought. I've left the doors open to let it dry out. 

IMG_1116.thumb.JPG.cc0bf780f23d939114ae9350ed1d7012.JPG

Turned my attention toward the exhaust leak today. I suspect the passenger side manifold gasket, but access is too poor to confirm. I'm taking the whole lot out and then deciding whether to replace the entire system or just gaskets and de-cat. Removal is going to be sooo easy*.

Today's progress was just the muffler and support bracket. Catalytic converter next. Can't wait to get that asbestos shield in the bin. 

IMG_1117.thumb.JPG.b7425657486203cdf5a20a24011bbc4e.JPG

Today's progress: brake fluid changed, o2 sensor removed, catalyst removed, heat shield in the bin. Snapped a stud though. Really hope that isn't foreshadowing the manifold removal. 

Had a peek inside the catalyst and it's mega fucked! Surprised I didn't get performance issues with it like this. 

IMG_1126.thumb.JPG.a3e7decd9b24042688035da456031d8d.JPG

6 hours ago, Justwatching said:

Today's progress: brake fluid changed, o2 sensor removed, catalyst removed, heat shield in the bin. Snapped a stud though. Really hope that isn't foreshadowing the manifold removal. 

Had a peek inside the catalyst and it's mega fucked! Surprised I didn't get performance issues with it like this. 

IMG_1126.thumb.JPG.a3e7decd9b24042688035da456031d8d.JPG

🤣 I think the technical term is "It's fucking fucked M7, big time"

Well having just read all 5 pages, I have a relatively solid excuse of not knowing the DeLorean existed here - I'm kinda new 😁 

As a former DeLorean owner of 10 years (sold last year with MUCH regret and sadness) I can relate to your "moments" you will have of ownership! From having someone shout across a car park "MARTY MCFLY!" at me as I ducked into the car to grab my wallet and tried to shut the door before they got too close, to shut the door and find them standing on the other side of the car grinning like a halloween pumpkin "MARTY MCFLY!" they repeated - taking notice they had driven their own car over to me to try and be funny? Anyway I politely excused myself saying I had an appointment (in the supermarket?!) and said they were welcome to look around and take any photos they wanted.  Quite what led me to own such a car for 10 years as one of the biggest introverts out there I will never know. But it was my childhood dream also and that seemed enough for me to cope with the madness. To be fair the car also got me free pizza at Pizza Hut because the store manager lost a bet with the pizza delivery guy that "no-one ever brings a DeLorean to Pizza Hut" and I lost track of the number of people that would categorically tell me something incorrect about MY car... I own it, not them 😂  

I had the 3-speed auto with black leather interior which apparently made it something of a very rare trim level as I was advised against dropping a manual into it for this reason. It also has the Stage 2 upgrade fitted in 2005 as part of the development of the upgrade before sitting in dry storage under the ownership of a famous musician. By the time of selling it had some custom engine components fitted which pushed the engine output up to just shy of 300bhp which I was very excited to try but sadly due to lack of money and rising costs of the car, I took the decision to sell the car without driving it, for I knew I could never sell it if I fell in love with the upgrades!

10 years of laughter and tears, sometimes my own, sometimes others... Am I happy to have owned one? Very. Have I scratched the itch? No. When the time is right, I will have another :) 

Until then, I will be watching with interest and admiration on your DeLorean Adventure. Good luck and enjoy every moment, even the bad bits were "good" memories for me! I would post a photo of mine, but aside from the lowered suspension and larger diameter exhaust pipes, they all look the same 😆

9 hours ago, 2110 said:

people that would categorically tell me something incorrect about MY car... I own it, not them 😂

That happens to me, even with shite as common as my Transit!

Anyway, my DMC question is how about those doors? The practicality of using them etc. They look really awkward, are they just a solution in search of a problem or do gullwing doors have some kind of extra usefulness that I havn’t twigged?

3 hours ago, Asimo said:

Anyway, my DMC question is how about those doors? The practicality of using them etc. They look really awkward, are they just a solution in search of a problem or do gullwing doors have some kind of extra usefulness that I havn’t twigged?

The doors themselves only require a couple of inches clearance for opening at the side of the car as they lift up, so in car parks I would park close against a wall leaving as much space away from another parked car on the other side as possible and providing there was enough space for me to fit between the car and the wall (and you remember to not hit your head as you get out 😂 ) they are actually remarkably practical doors.

The windows on the other hand, they leave A LOT to be desired, especially when you are in a hot climate and the air conditioning relay decides to pack up, no matter how far you stick your arm out the letterbox size windows you are never going to cool down - so at low speeds in town I would drive with the doors open, which actually thinking about it gave another brilliant use for the gull wing doors!

A bit of DMC related trivia for you - around 20 years ago I used to work for a stainless steel manufacturer (Avesta Sheffield) who supplied them with the steel. IIRC it was a special brushed finish which we put in a dedicated production line for.

It was before my time there but apparently supplying the required materials at the right time was a major headache. They'd just about got the problems sorted in time for DMC to go bankrupt, and the poor guy who was in charge of it all had a heart attack on hearing the news :-(

There followed a big drive to try and market SuperBrush finish stainless for other applications!

• 2 months later...

Did some more work on the DeLorean today. Painfully slow progress though. 

I reinstalled the manifolds and cross over pipe with new gaskets. Replaced the starter motor since the car came with a replacement and I had good access. Hopefully this will cure the intermittent no-crank issue. Also replaced the asbestos heat shield above it with a metal one. 

I've hollowed out the catalyst to save on buying a by-pass pipe. Maybe that'll go in tomorrow. 

IMG_1153.thumb.JPG.b0079c279ccc0b2186c5784fa5631619.JPG

On 5/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, Justwatching said:

Driver's side reverse light socket was shot. Wired in a new one easy enough.

IMG_0920.JPG.e1587091ae7614da0e5dd1fe1f2da47e.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG.6771d62163077f4652d0fbdc9fde2f17.JPG

And that's where my winning streak ended.

Found the reason for water ingress into the boot.

IMG_0923.JPG.db837b033164273ec9b0ef5f4e682aff.JPG

Can't find a new seal, and it wouldn't help anyway if I did. Think I'm going to paint it up and pretend I never saw it consider my options.  

Ordered a new master cylinder but the old one is really fighting me (surprise*). It's had the last of my WD40, for whatever good that does. Only the rear brake line fitting has come loose, and even that is trying to twist the line with it. The front fitting is threatening to round and the nuts on the servo aren't moving at all. Think I'll try fire next. 

IMG_0922.JPG.e2883156049550a435dcb7ddde3a91e9.JPG

Didn't that ltd used to belong to @Junkman

• 2 weeks later...

Exhaust back together - no loud ticking noise! 

Drove the DeLorean into work today. Got diverted and then stuck in traffic on the way home. It didn't give a moment of trouble, but the brakes feel like they're less effective than they should be. The discs were rusty when I did the brake fluid. Hopefully regular use will improve. 

IMG_1160.thumb.JPG.59219b40a69663a3a453f63ab71c8075.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I best get the spark plugs out of the DeLorean. They're really awkward to access which is why I've not touched them since buying the car. I feared it might still have the original factory plugs which would be nicely seized into cylinder heads.

Thankfully not. All looked good and went back in. 

IMG_1164.JPG.5b65fb1cd922d0a0a4c0d664e4dbfa07.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG.336cc1c52617ea36248d3293a5ef9e93.JPG

Next up, a bit more investigation of the brakes.

I took the brake pads out (all of which looked new) and pushed the brake peddle to make sure none of the pistons were stuck. Used a brake separator tool to push them back in. I've always improvised using a crowbar or a g-clamp, but for the sake of £10, it's definitely easier just having the right tool for the job. 

IMG_1166.JPG.97ee2df3d6624e7e7354ed21bb39bcff.JPG

The LTD's rear end has always been kinda floppy. It's supposed to be a soft ride, but it will sometimes seesaw. The rear shocks look ancient, possibly original equipment. I took them out today, and as you can see, no rebound after being compressed. 

Replacements ordered. I'll also paint up the mounting area while they're out. 

IMG_1167.JPG.38d98daf4ff118bf69b2a8a2c345ab06.JPG