Ford Mondeo: Season 6 cancelled

BorniteIdentity

On 3/30/2021 at 2:45 PM, sierraman said:

I wouldn’t exactly describe it as one of Britain’s rarest cars if there are only 253 of that year still on the road.

Of course now I expect any old rust infested, piss wet through Mondeo to be worth a million quid now - it’ll be the old ‘invest in one of these now to make a fortune’ articles in Craptical Plastics.

It's your relentless positivity that I find so enrapturing and enchanting ;) 

The market has already turned for Mk1 Mondeos which, in my humblest of opinions, is a good thing.  When you can no longer buy a nice one for under £2,000 - people start looking after them.  Sierra prices have REALLY firmed in the last 4 years, you can't get into any sort of nice Sapphire for £4k now.  I'm simultaneously annoyed and delighted about that, as nobody's about to scrap one; they're all worth fixing.

I'm not sure I believe there are 250 left on the road though.  I think that number will most likely creep up again post covid.

Former star of Top Gear and Coalville Magistrates Court, Quentin Willclock gives his opinion.

I really, really wanted to buy a new Mk5 back in 2018 but I just couldn't justify the overinflated price. Ford should really have had a hard look at pricing and pitching it at the Octavia market. When it came down to the choice of either buying the Ford or ordering a similar specced Skoda and spending the difference on a conservatory/holiday of a lifetime/5 Oz of coke/a nice new pair of tits for Claim_Bird it really was a no brainer.

One can only speculate how much longer the Insignia will be in production for.

3 minutes ago, R1152 said:

Found myself driving alongside a white 20-plate Hybrid estate last week.

They're a bit of a barge now, aren't they?

Sadly to make room for the batteries they've had to raise the boot floor substantially. The estate bit is Focus sized.

Just now, R1152 said:

As long as there are fleets to buy them for.

I know it's probably just me, but I really, really hate all these SUVs/MPVs/crossover cars. They all look shit.

Don't worry, you'll still be able to buy a Passat for many years to come as they're apparently a quality product.

4 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Don't worry, you'll still be able to buy a Passat for many years to come as they're apparently a quality product.

If I fitted four castors and an engine to a park bench where all the wood had been replaced with steel box section because vandalism, it'd still be more comfortable than a fucking Passat.

3 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Quality German motor cars. I imagine all the ones you see on the hard shoulder have just stopped off to let the driver relieve himself. 

I saw a 508 today, lovely looking car but probably about as popular as a Savaloy in a kibbutz. 

I suppose it depends in terms of taxis how much you can pick a used one up for, round our way Taxi driving isn’t profitable enough to justify sinking £30k into a car, most are ex fleet with 100k on the clock for a fraction of that. 

20 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Quality German motor cars. I imagine all the ones you see on the hard shoulder have just stopped off to let the driver relieve himself. 

I saw a 508 today, lovely looking car but probably about as popular as a Savaloy in a kibbutz. 

I suppose it depends in terms of taxis how much you can pick a used one up for, round our way Taxi driving isn’t profitable enough to justify sinking £30k into a car, most are ex fleet with 100k on the clock for a fraction of that. 

About five years ago, when my 07 plate Passat seized its gearbox at a set of lights in such a way that it needed slippys under the front wheels to get on the back of the truck to be recovered half a mile for the bargain price of £110, the recovery guy told me that he'll attend seven Passat callouts for every one Octavia breakdown. Technically, as they're basically the same mechanically, there's no good reason for this. Maybe it's down to electric parking brake or push in key fob issues?

Does the 508 have the hand grenade 1.6 diesel engine?

I have no idea where you live but speaking as a taxi driver, most in my area rent their cars but a few of us like to buy new on finance (like me).

6 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

About five years ago, when my 07 plate Passat seized its gearbox at a set of lights in such a way that it needed slippys under the front wheels to get on the back of the truck to be recovered half a mile for the bargain price of £110, the recovery guy told me that he'll attend seven Passat callouts for every one Octavia breakdown. Technically, as they're basically the same mechanically, there's no good reason for this. Maybe it's down to electric parking brake or push in key fob issues?

Does the 508 have the hand grenade 1.6 diesel engine?

I have no idea where you live but speaking as a taxi driver, most in my area rent their cars but a few of us like to buy new on finance (like me).

I don’t know if it’s the 1.6 diesel but in the Focus mk3 the 1.6 diesel is a good unit. Revised since the Mk2. I’m not far from the NE Derbyshire border, they’re all either Mk4 Mondeo or Mk2 Focus diesels. No age limit.

8 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I don’t know if it’s the 1.6 diesel but in the Focus mk3 the 1.6 diesel is a good unit. Revised since the Mk2. I’m not far from the NE Derbyshire border, they’re all either Mk4 Mondeo or Mk2 Focus diesels. No age limit.

I thought the 1.6 was the high carbon lump that when even after replacing a blown turbo would shit its replacement within weeks?

The initial 1.6s were 16v and had various issues as you say. A second generation was 8v and is allegedly a bit more reliable. From wiki, Ford/PSA engine codes aren't very helpful:

DV6 ATED4 90 PS (66 kW; 89 hp) Turbo-Diesel 16-valve
DV6 B 75 PS (55 kW; 74 hp) Turbo-Diesel 16-valve
DV6 TED4 110 PS (81 kW; 108 hp) Turbo-Diesel 16-valve
DV6 C 111 PS (82 kW; 109 hp) Turbo-Diesel 8-valve
DV6 D 92 PS (68 kW; 91 hp) Turbo-Diesel 8-valve
DV6 FE 75 PS (55 kW; 74 hp) Turbo-Diesel 8-valve
DV6 FD 95 PS (70 kW; 94 hp)[4] Turbo-Diesel 8-valve
DV6 FC 120 PS (88 kW; 118 hp)[4] Turbo-Diesel 8-valve

The later 8 valve diesel shares practically nothing with the old 16v unit, it doesn’t have a bad reputation at all. 

The original 1.6 could do some mammoth mileages if it was looked after, few are though. Leaking injector seals don’t get tended to, the oil never changed, the oil becomes thicker and carbons up and blocks the gauze on the turbo feed. 

41 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I'll be sad to see the demise of the mid sized Ford dominating our taxi fleet after its 45 year reign, other than for a few years between 2001-6 when the 406 became the car of choice. 

Watching scruffy Mk3 Cortinas being thrashed around my local area when I was an eight year old boy is what made me want to work the taxis in the first place.

3 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I wouldn’t worry too much. A Focus Estate seems a popular cab round here. It’s only past few days that I’ve took notice at the number of Kugas knocking about, there’s fucking millions of them. Whether they’d make a good cab I don’t know. 

I distinctly remember taking an Alfa 146 to my local town hall for an inspection to see if it would be put on the approved list. The enforcement officer took one look at it and screamed "HOW'S MY FUCKING GRANNY GOING TO GET INTO THE BACK OF THAT? IT HASN'T GOT ANY REAR DOORHANDLES!!!"

Ever since Ford USA canned the sister model (Fusion) in the States I thought it would be all over for the Mondeo. Only 24,000 were sold last year in the UK - which I would have thought was the best market for sales in Europe - so the end was never really in doubt. The fleet market goes for A4s and 3 series and the private buyer gets a Focus/Kuga. 

28/29 years is a good run for any nameplate though. 

Interesting that the S-max and Galaxy get a stay of execution, as they are on the same platform I thought they’d get the bullet too. 

Reckon the Insignia will be next, unless the PSA/Fiat combine (Stellantis) think they can turn enough facsimile 508s out under all the different brands they have. Interesting that Toyota have recently come back into this market with the Camry Hybrid.

1 hour ago, willswitchengage said:

The name 'Mondeo' is also a bit misleading. Wasn't it supposed to be the 'world car'? Despite that the overwhelming majority of sales and all production was in Europe, with it being a mild sales irrelevance in North America. The Toyota Corolla and Isuzu Elf are world vehicles, yes, this was just another European car.

The Mk1/2 were built in the USA (or maybe Mexico).

The Contour (Ford) was mildly successful until Taurus sales started to flag, then the discounts on its bigger sister made it look rather expensive. 

The Mk1, 2 and possibly 3 were also available in Aus/NZ.