Ford Mondeo: Season 6 cancelled

BorniteIdentity

Ford confirm today that they will discontinue the Mondeo in March of next year, 2022.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-mondeo-be-discontinued-march-2022-after-29-years

I hope everyone who's bought a soft-roader or crossover in the last 10 years knows they have blood on their hands.  

;) 

Had loads in the past, they were staple diet on the fleet i ran, taking over from the Sierras. Dependable, engaging and a far more fun car to drive than they looked. 

Brother in law has a 15 plate but tbh it blends in with the bland far east saloons you see nowadays.

I still get a twitch for a late Mk1 Verona in green metallic with the 15" wheel trims and bold trim inside. 

40 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Ford confirm today that they will discontinue the Mondeo in March of next year, 2022.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-mondeo-be-discontinued-march-2022-after-29-years

I hope everyone who's bought a soft-roader or crossover in the last 10 years knows they have blood on their hands.  

;) 

Does this mean we might see the Cortina come back in electric form?

I'm not surprised. Aren't something like 40% of cars sold nowadays SUVs? This is a dying segment, like the mid-size saloon in the USA.

I like hatchbacks. Practical, a big boot, you can fold the seats down and they have a small footprint to volume ratio. The 4 door saloon is the opposite of this. The SUV is a weird evolution of the former. Higher up driving position and bravado image? At the expensive of poor fuel economy, reduced safety, worse handling. I do not understand, yet more of us every day vote with our feet. Look on any manufacturer's website and their SUV/crossover offerings make up half of their models. I despair.

I also remember TG saying years ago that the 3-series outsells the Mondeo.

15 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

Oh no @BorniteIdentity,  now what crap chariot are you going to be spoiling the view with in 2051??

This is, quite naturally, my first concern.

Prices have already turned quite sharply for MK1s.  Remember that early bASe model I was chasing?  There's no way on God's earth that would be £350 now.  Double and a bit I'd have thought.

But, I think that's a good thing.  When cars get to a certain price, they stop getting scrapped and start getting fixed.  I'm a big fan of that.

This seems like a really dire state of affairs for Ford. I was wondering what Ford actually sold in the volume market these days and actually had to google what they sell.

The Fiesta is now only the 4th best seller in the UK behind the Corsa. The Focus is right down at number 10! The new Puma came out last year I think and is selling well but it’s Fords first Qashqai (3rd best seller) competitor and the Nissan has been around since 2006. 

Am I the only person to be utterly shocked that a bASe Fiesta is nearly £17k new? Even What Car target price is £15500. A bASe Focus is 22 grand, I think that makes a Mondeo at 25k look great value. I can’t help but think Fords are just too expensive.

Must admit I thought the Mondy had already been ditched - they must be selling so few it isn't even obvious you can still buy one. What a strange turn of events for a car once so ubiquitous it gave its name to a stereotype. It's a shame as they seem thoroughly decent cars; a friend loves them and buys a new one every couple of years so I'm not sure what he's going to do when the current one is due for replacement.

RIP Mondeo Man, 1993-2022

It also raises the question of (probably now very controversial) Stereotyping of voters. I remember “mondeo man” being mooted in the 90s. What sort of groupings might ipsos Mori be interested in these days; if indeed car terminology is considered suitable or indeed appropriate in such matters today?

Who are the inheritors of the title - if it ever even existed?

Oops... I didn't see this thread earlier! Short stand time; here are my thoughts:

This is a real shame. I remember a school friend's Father buying a K reg' example. One of the first in the UK! 

There was a small* diversion on the way home, much to the chagrin of the parents. They didn't seem to understand that this was a special occasion! 

It got loads of looks at the School Gates where the BMW 3 Series and Rover 600 held the first and second places for acceptance! 

Much later on, my school friend's Father bought a V6. 

We got a lift into town for some reason. The car may* have been parked on dubble yella lines and the deal was if a Traffic Warden appeared, one of us was to go round the block. 

Well bugger me backwards with a broomstick, a Traffic Warden did appear* so I had* to drive around the block which may have included a bit of Dual Carriageway... 

I didn't go above 2000rpm* it was my first big car experience! 

😇

Thankyou for the memories, Mondeo. 

36 minutes ago, HMC said:

It also raises the question of (probably now very controversial) Stereotyping of voters. I remember “mondeo man” being mooted in the 90s. What sort of groupings might ipsos Mori be interested in these days; if indeed car terminology is considered suitable or indeed appropriate in such matters today?

Who are the inheritors of the title - if it ever even existed?

Datsun Cashcow, innit! 🤓 

4 hours ago, HMC said:

Rest in peace.

From a time where the car rather than the badge counted more.

But for most of the 70s and 80s, it seemed like any old shit-barrow would sell if it had a Ford badge...

But the end of Ford "saloons" is a shame. The only Mondeos I have driven were Mk1 4dr saloons, were any of the later versions saloons or were they all hatchbacks?

An SUV couldn't be less appealing in my mind, im still a saloon/hatch sort of a guy.

I used to drive nothing but Fords and Vauxhalls, even as an early 20 something a late Sierra GLS with the smoked tail lights was something to be drooled over..  a mate with a Cavalier SRI was the hero of the car park.

But in 2021 no one drools over insignias or mondeos, especially not 20 somethings. They're very worthy but just not very sexy.

Audi and BMW have absolutely stolen the mondeo market.

As to other Fords, we have a 66 plate focus as a company car at work and it couldn't be any duller. Wallowy suspension and a sea of grey inside, with the world's most unfathomable radio.

2 hours ago, Asimo said:

But the end of Ford "saloons" is a shame. The only Mondeos I have driven were Mk1 4dr saloons, were any of the later versions saloons or were they all hatchbacks?

All marks of Mondeo were available as saloons, although I have to say I've never seen a Mk5 saloon in this country.

27 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Why buy a mondeo when you can buy a c class merc or an Audi A4 on tick that everyone can afford. I suppose that’s the way it’s going now. 

Probably because I’d not want to look like I have a cocaine and steroid habit and walk about in flip flops and socks. 🤣

Before we get excited the replacement supposedly called the ‘Evos’ is coming next year with a 2.5 hybrid, it looks ok, not quite as bad as the limp cocked rubbish you see.

I suppose the archetypal dads car is an SUV these days in the same way a lot of blokes are a bit pathetic these days and can’t do anything apart from answer e-mails or use a drill.