FotU 2021 - GO GO GO!

BorniteIdentity

I'm surprised there weren't more FTPs in the queue.  I offered to tow the Avenger that conked out on the access road (he was up that sloped part), but by the time I reached him it started up again.  No other sod offered, and he was at least ten cars in front of me.

25 minutes ago, RobT said:

Mind you, a few people did help him push it to one side.

If we've learnt anything over the last 18 months, is that the public are arsehole's and are only interested in their own affairs. To hell with anyone, especially one with broken down transportation. 

I got asked for my ticket, like an idiot I'd left my printed one at home but luckily they accepted the PDF on my phone. 

By the sounds of it, I needn't have worried anyway!

I passed it, but Tommyboy was standing by the car sipping a drink at the time - like an idiot I assumed he'd just stopped for a break and carried on. :( Feel really bad about that! 

On 8/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Fumbler said:

It's unexeptional because it's an Audi from the late 20th century. It was sensible and well-proportioned. Understated, not brash. Nothing more, nothing less. You knew what you had when you bought an Audi. For most people nowadays it would most definitely be classed as dull and uninspiring. By your logic I doubt you'd have liked seeing the Cavalier Diplomat that was there either. That was definitely at the same level of "premium" but was made by the same company that made run-of-the-mill family cars.

I knopw the word "unexeptional" is incredibly subjective, but the event was packed full of cars that were, at the time, so common and so ubiquitous that most of working Britain drove them. While an Audi 100 and Mondeo may have been considered as "interesting" and a car to aspire to own back then, they certainly aren't regarded as such by the general public in the present. That includes the plush models and things like that because they were all current cars at the time. Their popularity and disposability means they aren't common today, and this is an event that celebrates them as time is pretty much forgetting them entirely.

Yep I'm with this. I'd dearly love to find or have a Mk1 Mondeo 1.8LX Saloon that my Dad had. First 16v car in the family, it replaced a wheezing 8v 1.8GL Granada which hastily replaced our stolen Montego. The Montego was never found - I guess because back in the early 90s they all got immediately turned into parts!

(In credit to the Granada, even a lowly GL felt like an S class after years of BL tat. It also had a heater that could turn Siberia into the Med...)

28 minutes ago, Soundwave said:

I passed it, but Tommyboy was standing by the car sipping a drink at the time - like an idiot I assumed he'd just stopped for a break and carried on. :( Feel really bad about that! 

Yea, you must have passed at the same time. Thought he was having a coffee enjoying the cars passing ☹️

2 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

I still think its a good looker. Although its a Ford that never really looked like a Ford to me...

That low bonnet and cab forward design was a departure. Honda Accord was supposedly the benchmark during early development, which makes sense.