FotU 2021 - GO GO GO!

BorniteIdentity

The traffic management was a bit naff at the start. It seemed to ease up, so I don't know if they changed their strategy. 

And yes the exiting thing was weird. The exit route was short enough to have been made conspicuous and signage erected to warn pedestrians.

However,that said, it's never easy organising events like this, especially during the current period of changing restrictions and rules, and it may have been the organisers were working to the whims of the venue.

Great event, incredible selection of cars. I felt like I didn't have much time at all to stop and actually talk to some people, there were so many great cars there. Some really mind boggling survivors. Talked to the owner of the manual Renault 25 V6 Turbo, apparently only one of two left in the country. He had it for 28 years and it looked mint.

IMG_20210731_133135.jpg

3 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Now home, sunburnt and knackered.

Thought the cars were great, live music was horrendous and traffic management was shite.. I kinda get the build up coming in, happens at most events but when I tried to leave I was made to sit for 10 minutes until a van with a flashing light could usher me 200 yards down a straight road that I then had to tail on to 20 other cars when I could have gone on my own and been gone in 30 secs. Bit odd.

Also felt really bad for a chap in front of me in an immaculate 5dr Corsa B, original dealer plates, flaps etc the lot - Looked great and he clearly planned on showing it, just got sent round to the normal car park by the ushers who then laughed and said “he surely isn’t wanting to show that”  so the poor bloke was left to park in the public car park out to the side. 

Some really nice cars about today, I didn’t take any pics bar one of my own e30 but really impressive stuff there, very nostalgic! 

3C2CC071-EC7C-43B6-9360-9D08D334E46B.jpeg

You've reminded me of our former local show. Whole weekender. Got to the gate at 10:27 (gate closes @10.30)

"You're late, should have been here @10.00."

"Gtf, didn't say that on the programme." 

"Can't let you in, against the rules." 

"Alright, that stays there then." Gets out of car blocking gate, locks it, walks away. 

"You can't leave that there!." 

"Tough titty sunshine. Two sides to every coin mofo" 

Einstein concedes. 

Antagonistic but righteous prick in 60 year old car drives in. 

Said it before, going to say it again. Perfectly reasonable people for 364 days of the year turn into a poor approximation of a Nazi if you're foolish enough to give them a hi-viz and an entirely false sense of self-importance for one weekend. 

Škoda made it there and back and didn't overheat in the ridiculous queue to get in, although the exhaust now sounds proper chavvy so I'm going to have to do something about that.

Was a great day out once we eventually got parked up - I took quite a few photos but of particular interest to me was this:

DSC_1745.thumb.JPG.5acff2382b4f919b2f9466e9f6e7b4ab.JPG

This is the 205 which was for sale 400 yards from my house and which I attempted to deliver to @BeEP, whose friend from Somerset had bought it, but it overheated after about 8 miles.  BeEP's friend got it transported to Somerset, but ended up selling it on to its current owner who sorted the overheating issue and has been using it since.

Good to catch up with so many shiters, great to see the Dacia back on the road and to finally meet the Skizzer Espace and that Granada coupé in the flesh, plus gricer's lovely little Kia Pride.

2 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

Also felt really bad for a chap in front of me in an immaculate 5dr Corsa B, original dealer plates, flaps etc the lot - Looked great and he clearly planned on showing it, just got sent round to the normal car park by the ushers who then laughed and said “he surely isn’t wanting to show that”  so the poor bloke was left to park in the public car park out to the side.

My mate also turned up in an immaculate 5 door Corsa B (parked next to my Felicia in the photo on the previous page) and they tried to direct him to the normal car park, but he explained that he had come with me and Spottedlaurel and they let him onto the chod parking.

I type this barrelling north towards Scotch Corner at 70mph with @jaypee at the wheel of the mighty Toledo.

cheers for a great day out, great to speak to folk I have not seen in ages, properly good day for the soul!

I only took 2 pictures as my camera is still broken after being welded..

Hubcaps supplied by @loseronedelivered  to @RoadworkUKand mrs_RoadworkUK after a long route (3h north to Glasgow, before 6hrs south to the show)

IMG_20210731_115557407.thumb.jpg.34957d4ab5f70f32e2197261709876a4.jpg

And @RobT and @Kiltox check out the palatial* appointments of the minicab 1993 simulator

IMG_20210731_133426935.thumb.jpg.5bca1d7c301dda5acae8f190c62ade07.jpg

9 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Testing everyone’s cooling systems like this doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of the event. 😂

I’m not there, but it feels like they may be bound by Covid insurance to put more checks in than they normally do. In which case I’m keeping everything crossed for the two people who are masquerading as me today! 

That's what we all assumed when we saw how slowly the queue was moving, but they didn't actually check the tickets at all.

Cheers Wuv, registered 26/3/93, I know of only 9 cars registered earlier than that one. Only a couple on the road. Last time I checked didn't have an MOT.  It got one in May (looks like it had a fussy tester though!). Great to see.  Nice Proton too.

Queue wasn't too much fun, but I think us Truckstoppers had it best. We left at 9:45am and when we hit the queue, it was only a few minutes until they actually opened the gates, so the queue did (slowly) move. Really, I think a 9am event start time would be better, especially for the concours cars.

But what an event. Wonderful to catch up with folk and see so many incredible cars. Utterly overwhelming.

55 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Škoda made it there and back and didn't overheat in the ridiculous queue to get in, although the exhaust now sounds proper chavvy so I'm going to have to do something about that.

Was a great day out once we eventually got parked up - I took quite a few photos but of particular interest to me was this:

DSC_1745.thumb.JPG.5acff2382b4f919b2f9466e9f6e7b4ab.JPG

This is the 205 which was for sale 400 yards from my house and which I attempted to deliver to @BeEP, whose friend from Somerset had bought it, but it overheated after about 8 miles.  BeEP's friend got it transported to Somerset, but ended up selling it on to its current owner who sorted the overheating issue and has been using it since.

Good to catch up with so many shiters, great to see the Dacia back on the road and to finally meet the Skizzer Espace and that Granada coupé in the flesh, plus gricer's lovely little Kia Pride.

That was me with the 205! Nice to meet you. Sorry I didn't have longer to chat to people but had my hands full running after my unruly 3 year old son :)

1 hour ago, 320touring said:

I type this barrelling north towards Scotch Corner at 70mph with @jaypee at the wheel of the mighty Toledo.

cheers for a great day out, great to speak to folk I have not seen in ages, properly good day for the soul!

I only took 2 pictures as my camera is still broken after being welded..

Hubcaps supplied by @loseronedelivered  to @RoadworkUKand mrs_RoadworkUK after a long route (3h north to Glasgow, before 6hrs south to the show)

IMG_20210731_115557407.thumb.jpg.34957d4ab5f70f32e2197261709876a4.jpg

And @RobT and @Kiltox check out the palatial* appointments of the minicab 1993 simulator

IMG_20210731_133426935.thumb.jpg.5bca1d7c301dda5acae8f190c62ade07.jpg

Your camera really is fucked - that's not me :D

I'm back after a pleasant  convoy back with @MondeoBlues and @BL Bloke.

Really good show with great people and cars there, just a shame about the queue.  It wasn't really a suprise that 2000 people all turning up on a single track lane at 10am would cause a problem.

2 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

I'm back after a pleasant  convoy back with @MondeoBlues and @BL Bloke.

Really good show with great people and cars there, just a shame about the queue.  It wasn't really a suprise that 2000 people all turning up on a single track lane at 10am would cause a problem.

Was so happy to see the Mighty Dacia, and even more so to hear it seems to have got there and back without issue! (niggles don't count)

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

My mate also turned up in an immaculate 5 door Corsa B (parked next to my Felicia in the photo on the previous page) and they tried to direct him to the normal car park, but he explained that he had come with me and Spottedlaurel and they let him onto the chod parking.

Meanwhile they gave me an exhibitors pass for my V reg CR-V even though I wasn't intending to exhibit (and didn't).

Fantastic variety for the show, some properly awesome cars there, think my favourite car at the show was the Favorit GLXi Blackline, absolutely mint. Think they could do with some more toilets next time though!