FotU 2021 - GO GO GO!

BorniteIdentity

1 minute ago, davidfowler2000 said:

Plunge taken and ticket booked.

Where are folk staying this year? In previous years The Field of Dreams was the traditional pre-show staging post but seeing this year's show is in the far east, FoD doesn't look like it would be a good place to spend the night unless you want to leave silly early the next morning. I may also bring the 205 this year so camping is even more so up the spout. Anyone going to be in a hotel / live near the show?

There are several Premier Inns in the vicinity, I need to pull my finger out and book one.

5 hours ago, Crackers said:

Probably. It's more the 6 hours round trip I was commenting on!

Us up here in Scotland usually do Chumly in a day with almost 4 hours each way and that is JUST on the limit of doable without being completely fucked by the time you get home. Glasgow to Lincolnshire in a day though.... naaaaahhhhh

It'll be a day's run for me too if the FoD isn't involved, as the proximity to the A1 means the journey is an absolute piece of piss, about 3 hours, but very easy familiar going. 

Anyone coming from the north could meet at the art deco ex-Little Chef (now a Starbucks) at Markham Moor, or an OK Diner etc? 

6 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

It'll be a day's run for me too if the FoD isn't involved, as the proximity to the A1 means the journey is an absolute piece of piss, about 3 hours, but very easy familiar going. 

Anyone coming from the north could meet at the art deco ex-Little Chef (now a Starbucks) at Markham Moor, or an OK Diner etc? 

I'll be coming from 'uddersfield direction, google maps is saying it's a 230 mile round trip which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things.  Could meet somewhere on the way.  Depending on if there's owt else interesting down there to stay the night for.  I've some annual leave round then and the aul lad is coming over (hopefully) from Ireland.  We'll see what emerges...

3 minutes ago, Spurious said:

I'll be coming from 'uddersfield direction, google maps is saying it's a 230 mile round trip which isn't too bad in the grand scheme of things.  Could meet somewhere on the way.  Depending on if there's owt else interesting down there to stay the night for.  I've some annual leave round then and the aul lad is coming over (hopefully) from Ireland.  We'll see what emerges...

I'll be heading over Woodhead to the M1 at 35a, you'll probably join in the same place or slightly further north at the sculpture park or something. From the M1 it's down to the M18 or the A57 at J31 and across to the A1 from there.

13 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Question.... Should I take Cedric on steel's and hubcaps or the new wheels?

DSC_0185.thumb.JPG.ce86a50c57536c79bd45660c26f75ced.JPG

My actual car by the way brand new 😀

received_1336162643225242.thumb.jpeg.b27f87cefb0ad2041c0d82d48d634a23.jpeg

It's the steel's isn't it?

Take it on the alloys! They look sexy as hell, and are more likely to upset some purists. That's a win-win. 

13 hours ago, davidfowler2000 said:

Us up here in Scotland usually do Chumly in a day with almost 4 hours each way and that is JUST on the limit of doable without being completely fucked by the time you get home. Glasgow to Lincolnshire in a day though.... naaaaahhhhh

If I was in the Focus then yes I'd do it without a second though. In the Rover, I'm not sure 6 hours in one go would be quite so pleasurable!! 

30 minutes ago, Crackers said:

If I was in the Focus then yes I'd do it without a second though. In the Rover, I'm not sure 6 hours in one go would be quite so pleasurable!! 

I have trouble doing more than about 60 minutes at the wheel in one session. I need my rest breaks.

13 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Not for your wallet maybe but comfort wise the P6 would be perfect.

Suspension wise yes, but the seats foam is tired and has a bit of a cavity down in the lower back, that's on the to-do list but it does mean about 90 mins is the most I can do in one go. 

5 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Why have I never heard of Grimsthorpe castle before, it’s 25 miles from me here. 

Am I going to be lynched if I turn up in something snazzy? 

oh, and how much are the tickets? I can’t see from the link posted.

Free for the first 900 who register to come in a classic or unexceptional car, £5.75 if you come in a modern car. Either way one ticket per person required not per car

I'm tempted to stay over somewhere the night before, so would be good to plan a location there's more than one of us staying at. And if there's a bar (we're allowed to use :-() then so much the better! Rather be sat in a field somewhere than a hotel though, so if others are up for camping I'll do some research.

1 hour ago, mat_the_cat said:

I'm tempted to stay over somewhere the night before, so would be good to plan a location there's more than one of us staying at. And if there's a bar (we're allowed to use :-() then so much the better! Rather be sat in a field somewhere than a hotel though, so if others are up for camping I'll do some research.

1 hour ago, Cento16v said:

If anyone does book in a hotel let me know, I'll probably be on my own so would be nice to have a few beers with people 🍻

I'm looking at the Premier Inn at the bottom of Grantham. It has a Brewers Fayre attached to it

On 5/4/2021 at 7:18 AM, BorniteIdentity said:

If y'all let us know where you're staying then a southern convoy could join you for a bit of early morning cholesterol before we make the final leg together.

Right I shall be booking soon. Probably in the next couple of days. Best options seem to be Premier Inn Grantham or Newark for copious on site parking and attached eatery / bar. There's a Premier Inn in Melton Mowbray but parking is very restricted.

Who fancies where then so that at least a couple of us can have a meetup / drink / convoy?