FotU 2021 - GO GO GO!

BorniteIdentity

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Hopefully Grimsthorpe will update their own website - "closed until further notice"

It may well remain closed and this be treated as a private event.  Plus a lot of these places still have people on furlough.

Come on man.  Crack a smile.  A tiny bit of positivity really won't hurt you, you know... ;) x

6 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Hopefully Grimsthorpe will update their own website - "closed until further notice"

Also on their website:

We are excited to announce the reopening of Grimsthorpe Castle, Park and Gardens on Thursday 27th May 2021.

Our new visitor car park will be ready to welcome you in time for the bank holiday weekend, so keep an eye on our website and social media for further visitor information, including season tickets as well as updates on Estate improvements.

We will announce more as government guidelines become clearer, but for now, we wanted to give you some good news to start the week.

We’re looking forward to seeing you all soon!

The Grimsthorpe Team

That'll be the further notice then...

5 minutes ago, Talbot said:

convoi-1978-01-g.thumb.jpg.9ecd9cd17e60bed3c1d965d13711dbac.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077369/

link for anyone who isn't overly familiar with late-70s american films

I would indeed be up for a convoy, probably with six cyl, zel and other middle belt shitters as I'd go up to mk then across and basically to dad's old house plus 10 miles, it's quite nice really! 

Should let the old boy know really and they can buy day tickets if its not cancelled etc

Great to hear this news. It's when we're meant to be in France (holiday dates that were booked last year, after 2020's cancellation) but I'm not at all confident that will happen so will get a ticket in case.

To not go on holiday won't be great, to know that I'd also be missing FOTU when we're just sitting at home would be very poor indeed.

Whether I'll be going or not will entirely depend on whether it feels responsible.

Unlikely I'll have the BX ready by then (especially given I'd like to do a lot of local testing prior to going on an 85 mile each way trip to somewhere I've zero knowledge of).  So would be between the Xantia or Invacar I think (or the van maybe?  Don't know if that fits so well).  Probably Invacar simply because the Xantia looks so scruffy at the moment because of the chronic clear coat peel which is getting worse by the day it feels like.

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Whether I'll be going or not will entirely depend on whether it feels responsible.

Well that's rather pissed on my chips!

But I like your attitude.  It's exactly what we will need by Summer.  People taking responsibility for themselves, calculating their own risks and deciding how to live their own lives again.  How novel.

It'd be nice to see you there.  Can't say I'd want to drive 170 miles in one of those!

Just now, BorniteIdentity said:

If anyone wants to rendezvous from the south/midlands then we could have a convoy meeting point at Brampton Hut maybe? That will allow A14/A1 traffic to get together. 

There is McDonalds and slightly* superior Brewer’s Fayre from memory. 

That sounds like a plan. Hopefully will also be coming with a friend who has 5 Bluebirds... 

2 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Well that's rather pissed on my chips!

But I like your attitude.  It's exactly what we will need by Summer.  People taking responsibility for themselves, calculating their own risks and deciding how to live their own lives again.  How novel.

It'd be nice to see you there.  Can't say I'd want to drive 170 miles in one of those!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to go - but there's not even any word on when vaccination of the general public in my area is starting - as of last week when I last spoke to our GP they're still working through the 16-64 with pre existing conditions list.  So goodness only knows when I'll see it.  That seems to vary a lot from area to area though.  14 days for it to be fully effective (not to mention the 8-12 week gap between doses 1 & 2)... doesn't leave a big gap.  Plus that doesn't stop you getting or spreading it...just gives you a better shot at fighting it off.

Big question for me will probably be seeing how people behave over the next couple of months - but based on the complete and total disregard for any of the restrictions (or indeed simple common sense) I've seen from a huge number of people in my area I'm really not holding my breath for feeling comfortable leaving the house other than for essential trips before the end of the year.

I'd bloody love to go though.  Hell, I'd pay you good money to let me drive to Oxford and back...in rush hour...right now if it meant I could get out of this house and the surrounding couple of miles for a couple of hours. 

Sitting in a traffic jam on the A34 sounds like bloody heaven right now to be honest...and I say that hating that bloody road with a passion!