1987 Peugeot 205 1.4 GR - smells of oil and petrol

ANYOLDIRON1984

Just picked this up from Leeds yesterday and drove it back to County Durham with no problems at all. In really good overall condition, zero rust though a few dings and poor touch ups. 

Interior is a bit shagged, especially the glove box surround so I'll have to have a think about how to tackle it.

Mechanically it's very good, starts easily with a pump and a bit of choke. 106k but had a couple of grand spent on it recently.  Got the old Douvrin "suitcase" engine with the 5-speed gearbox in the sump. Sounds rather like a muted Mini, though admittedly the noise is more French. 

It's a very late phase 1 but has a phase 2 steering wheel...not sure if there was a crossover period or it's simply been replaced.

Few issues - boot leaks a bit, clutch will probably need doing soon and seems to have a minor oil leak. Has the original Philips stereo but the front speakers don't work and I realised why when I took off the speaker grilles...they don't exist any longer. Got 11 months' test on it with no advisories though and smells of oil, petrol and oldness. 

Despite the fall apart interior and the occasional smell of burning, this thing is a hoot to drive.  Since I pumped up the tyres, the steering is relatively light when parking but has so much feel and directness when you're on the move. Sweeping bends become the multiple orgasms of driving. The gearbox has a ridiculously long throw like an old truck but is fun to use, while the tappety old engine with its pathetic 59bhp is so willing and torquey.  There is something elemental about driving motors like this, for a car nut it's the arcane equivalent of getting back to nature. It is such a basic car and yet such a complete one. Don't get me started on the insanely comfortable seats, the perfect driving position, even for a vertically endowed person like me and the suspension that just soaks everything up, or I'll never shut up. Potholes are to be avoided in my Doblo; in this car they should be viewed as targets.

Forgot to get an engine shot earlier so I'll take one tomorrow and add it on. Doesn't have a name yet so I'd be open to suggestions. 

20210321_153359.jpg

20210321_153411.jpg

20210321_153351.jpg

20210321_153420.jpg

20210321_153432.jpg

• ANYOLDIRON1984 changed the title to 1987 Peugeot 205 1.4 GR - smells of oil and petrol
2 minutes ago, loserone said:

Consider this an invite to the post lockdown 205 county Durham shiters' gathering.  Upper Weardale, everything else TBC.  Would be interested to compare with my GR

I'll be there, on pain of death!!! Lovely part of the County Durham too, and the world.

20 hours ago, ANYOLDIRON1984 said:

Sounds rather like a muted Mini, though admittedly the noise is more French. 

Ah, I'd forgotten about the sound of these. Brings back memories of my youth in the mid to late 80s (was born in 81 so I'm talking actual young youth) where my 'party trick' was to be able to identify when a 205 was approaching from behind before seeing it, I rarely got it wrong!

Yours looks really nice, there's something about these run of the mill versions that just looks right, and yes these wheel trims make all the differance.

17 hours ago, ANYOLDIRON1984 said:

Yours looks that bit cleaner than mine.

It is a bit cleaner but then it has only done 45k. Yours is a nicer colour though.

As for the oil filler cap, according to my Haynes manual it's sticking up at the back of the engine with the two hoses coming off it. That reminds me, I need to check mine. 

1 hour ago, BL Bloke said:

It is a bit cleaner but then it has only done 45k. Yours is a nicer colour though.

As for the oil filler cap, according to my Haynes manual it's sticking up at the back of the engine with the two hoses coming off it. That reminds me, I need to check mine. 

Thanks. that seems to be the consensus.

45k is astonishing. Mine has 106k. I actually like 205s in white, my brother had one years ago.

Not a fan of naming cars but it has to be Vivien Westwood with that plate surely? 

Great looking car, always loved a 205. Had a 1.9 gti and whilst it was a great car I'm more of a turbo guy and i part exed it against a pajero "j top" for my mrs who adored the pajero. Had a great price fir the pug too.......

£500 with a fresh mot 😱😱😱

2003 IIRC. 

In 1988 I bought a 1 year old 205 GTi  1.6 on a D plate 

My first real hot hatch , it changed the way I drove overnight , captain sensible to twat

It was so much fun to drive I'd just go out for the hell of it and find an empty country lane , had it a year then sold it to my ex brother in law who wrote it off within 3 months.

Still hanker after another but missed the hot hatch boat now