Cars of Crackers

Crackers

14 hours ago, Bfg said:

..excuse the hair situation #WhatLockdown   :D

IMG_20210320_172010.thumb.jpg.e14586220a07063cabbbe2e337a51def.jpg.adb9d5a5b48af8e61cf85edd79b9ecc3.jpg

Savvy ?

.. in reference to the both the car's registration and in the positive sense of the word meaning 'a very wise buy'

re. the wheels..  imo they sort-of revitalise what is a truly great British classic ..when driven by a 20 year old B) 

..in a way that would look as wrong as a balding man's hair-over if the car was owned by most of us (..old farts  :tired: ).

Pete.

You called?

I'm just relaxing into 80's motoring, slipping my svelt BL rim twixt my fingers ;)

Absolute belter purchase.. 5* (thats fuel!)

12 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Starting procedure for a P6B from Cold. Full choke. About 1/8th throttle. Don't pump the throttle. As soon as it starts, down to half choke.

Check for spark. These are points ignition, they may have closed up.

Thanks Nick, will try that tomorrow. Have been out for a few hours hence no update. Wanted to get it going tonight but it's dark and I don't want to piss the neighbours off on the first night it's here! 😂

One truly excellent steed you have right there. I expect to see you one day either wearing a beige shirt and brown tie, or a beige poloneck. Relish the fashionable colours!

I definitely, totally and wholly do not/have never worn or wear the clothing listed above.*

*I do. I R fashion god.

I found a Flickr photo from 2008, description makes for interesting reading:

SVV 392K

1972 Rover 3500S V8.

12 previous keepers. Cheffins vintage auction, Sutton -

"Chassis No. 48100670A 

The V8 SD1 engined Rover is finished in Mexico Brown and has had the vinyl roof recovered. Capable of running on unleaded fuel, the engine core plugs have been replaced and extensive body and chassis restoration has been carried out. Fitted with a Borg Warner 65 gearbox, the MOT is valid until September 2008 as is the (duty free) road tax, a good period automatic supplied with V5."

SVV 392K

The wheels are a nice addition, but the new number plates are simply sacrilege.

3 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

I found a Flickr photo from 2008, description makes for interesting reading:

SVV 392K

1972 Rover 3500S V8.

12 previous keepers. Cheffins vintage auction, Sutton -

"Chassis No. 48100670A 

The V8 SD1 engined Rover is finished in Mexico Brown and has had the vinyl roof recovered. Capable of running on unleaded fuel, the engine core plugs have been replaced and extensive body and chassis restoration has been carried out. Fitted with a Borg Warner 65 gearbox, the MOT is valid until September 2008 as is the (duty free) road tax, a good period automatic supplied with V5."

SVV 392K

The wheels are a nice addition, but the new number plates are simply sacrilege.

I've seen this auction listing a few times. I can only assume they wrote it wrong, as it's a 481 chassis number indicating a manual 3500S.

Also, I personally prefer the stamped plates that are on it now, sacreligious I know but... I don't care! 

I think, as a twenty year old whipper snapper, you pull this off in a different way to us miserable old bastards. Whilst I’d love one (dearly) I’d just look like a fatter, sadder version of my own Dad. Whereas you - dear boy - look cooler than a cucumber induced coma. 

Sadly, at your age, I was running a 4 year old Toyota and didn’t need a shitty stick to fight off the fanny. Your experience may differ. 

4 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I think, as a twenty year old whipper snapper, you pull this off in a different way to us miserable old bastards. Whilst I’d love one (dearly) I’d just look like a fatter, sadder version of my own Dad. Whereas you - dear boy - look cooler than a cucumber induced coma. 

Sadly, at your age, I was running a 4 year old Toyota and didn’t need a shitty stick to fight off the fanny. Your experience may differ. 

Thanks very much sir! I could have spent the same money on the typical Audi A3, Fiesta ST or 1 series that everyone my age drives. But this Rover is much more 'me' and definitely gets more admiring looks! People definitely don't expect to see someone like me stepping out of it. 

If it helps, though, I'm still running a filthy 15 year old Focus as a daily, so likewise (and for several other reasons too) I have absolutely no need for the effluent-tainted stick. 😂

Is this on a pair of SU carbs with the "telephone handles" cast aluminium inlets?  You may find that the float chambers are draining back and so the fuel pump has to fill them before the engine will start.

Way to check for that would be to put a set of brake pipe clamps on the fuel lines when you stop the engine one evening, then see if it will start immediately the next morning.  If so, there's your issue.

Also, how much cranking is it needing?  5 seconds?  15?  50?

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Is this on a pair of SU carbs with the "telephone handles" cast aluminium inlets?  

I'm guessing you mean these:

1327615353_Screenshot_20210323-1113032.thumb.jpg.f4d10b329b1d1b428650c684efb8d26a.jpg

It's got an electric fuel pump, which I can hear tapping away and sounds like it builds pressure up quickly. 

I'll whip some plugs out of it tomorrow to see if any petrol is getting through. I'm not seeing or smelling much at the exhaust while cranking. 

1 hour ago, Talbot said:

Also, how much cranking is it needing? 

It's probably had well over a minute, in bursts of about 20 seconds or so. It occasionally kicks on one or two cylinders but just refuses to catch. 

Floats stuck?  Occasionally when it's been sat for a few weeks, even though my Princess has a rebuilt carb I have found that the electric fuel pump rattles away and fills up the fuel line and filter but not always the float bowl.  When that happens, tapping the carb with a screwdriver handle results in a little burst of fuel pump action and successful vrooms.

Also, just to add, that is a lovely P6.

25 minutes ago, Crackers said:

It's got an electric fuel pump, which I can hear tapping away and sounds like it builds pressure up quickly. 

Which, in theory, means that fuel drainback isn't the issue, as even if it's drained back, an electric pump should replenish the two float chambers fairly quickly (as in, 10 seconds or so)

A quick check would be to remove the telephone handles (and yes, I'm aware you're young enough to have no idea what I'm on about...) the two cast inlets on either side of the carbs.  Slosh a bit of petrol directly in, and see if it starts.  If so, it's a fuelling issue.  If not, ignition.

The Telephone handles I'm on about are these:

gpo-ivory-700-series-telephone-handset-257-p.thumb.jpg.c93a28b3e0bf617b4c0f5ac023a4cf05.jpg

Which sortof look a bit like the intakes on your engine:

RV8.jpg.8937f4fcdfaee376ee224e263d4d77e7.jpg

Ish.