Most Dangerous Fault You've (Unwittingly) Driven With.

Shirley Knott

On 3/22/2021 at 6:47 AM, fraser.innes.3 said:

Alfa Romeo Alfasud - Was driving down Church Lane in Chislehurst, Kent. Had to take avoiding action as a bus pulled out from behind a parked car coming the other way. This involved banging the car up a kerb to avoid the idiot. 2 days later I drove to Edinburgh. My dad noticed that the NSF wheel was down to the wire. Closer inspection showed the inner wing had a 2 inch gap along the width of it. The solution was to take the wing off, jack the car up on the suspension until the gap closed, then weld plates across it. That was when we discovered the inner wing was more rust than metal, and it was almost impossible to find metal to weld to! Drove it about for another 5 months until the MOT ran out, then abandoned it on a street in Catford.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

I know it well as in my younger days I would drink in the Tigers Head opposite the Church plus the Bull and the Crown  and went to school at Coopers back in the early to mid 80s 

I also worked in Catford 

3 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

Neighbour still driving on the egg'd tyre. 

IMG_20210324_091722.thumb.jpg.f9031ccf41d058e34766c0f148be2c98.jpg

Please launch a knife into that. The fact it's been marked up but not replaced makes me wince. 

*alternatively, no, you didn't know their tyre had gone flat, and yes it is a shame, and no you didn't have anything to do with it

11 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Please launch a knife into that. The fact it's been marked up but not replaced makes me wince. 

*alternatively, no, you didn't know their tyre had gone flat, and yes it is a shame, and no you didn't have anything to do with it

3 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Where that tyre has bulged, the sidewall will be wafer thin and very easy to pierce.  A small flat-bladed screwdriver (electricians screwdriver or similar) would likely pop through it with ease.

I won't be doing anything like that, knowing my luck I'd get seen. It's a closed square with 8 flats facing the car park and some very 'neighbourhood watch' type neighbours. 

Not that I'm worried about the Merc owners. The culprit is the couple who have recently moved in upstairs. I think it's her car, as he hardly leaves the flat. He's a preacher who does online sermons, you know the very energetic and loud ones? 🙄 They're marginally better than the young pot smoking idiots that lived there previously though. 

But most of the other neighbours I get on well with, and wouldn't want to do anything to upset the apple cart. 

High power (infra-red so it cant be seen) laser? :) 

its a good excuse to get a CO2 laser as any :mrgreen:

as a side note regardless of safety etc, if that was my own tyre id be very tempted to stick a pin in it myself I imagine popping it would feel really satisfying like the next level up from bubble wrap or something LOL 

All these stories of garages failing to replace wheel nuts or not tightening them make me feel better about the other day when I went to get new tyres and just took the wheels with me as I didn't trust them not to cock up and I was also worried about them potentially stripping the security wheel bolts with the ugga dugga gun.

Most dangerous fault I have ever experienced was when all the brake fluid of a Viva HC decided it would rather be living inside the servo instead of the master cylinder and I lost all brakes other than the handbrake, was not fun.

Might be worth leaving a note on their window @DoctorRetro if you haven't already - some people really don't realise how dangerous it is even when a garage tells them....equally - I don't know what sort of people they are

Shame there isn't an online form to report stuff like that - suppose the local cop shop would be the place to go. On one hand, it's their funeral, but on the other hand it could also be the funeral of a mother and her newborn child who they smash into. A weird moral dilemma.

21 minutes ago, New POD said:

if anyone tries to do you for criminal damage, you are in the clear.

Not really.  Sticking a knife into it is still criminal damage, albeit with mitigating reasons.

30 years ago I would have said it would be vanishingly unlikely for anyone to be prosecuted for sticking a knife through a dangerous tyre being used daily.  These days I'm not so sure

I'd be tempted to send a photo of the tyre, a photo of the car and the address (essentially all the info that is in this thread) and email it to the Police.  You've done your bit then, and it's up to them whether they take it any further.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:38 PM, Heidel_Kakao said:

All these stories of garages failing to replace wheel nuts or not tightening them make me feel better about the other day when I went to get new tyres and just took the wheels with me as I didn't trust them not to cock up and I was also worried about them potentially stripping the security wheel bolts with the ugga dugga gun.

With the added bonus of eliminating the possibility of them buggering up your sills by not giving a shit about the proper jacking points 😡

Worth investing in a full set of axle stands for that!

8 hours ago, Alusilber said:

With the added bonus of eliminating the possibility of them buggering up your sills by not giving a shit about the proper jacking points 😡

Worth investing in a full set of axle stands for that!

Yeah totally agree, I have a full set of axle stands but even better than that is the two post lift 😀

With the bulging tyre, I'd leave a note to the effect of...

The bulge in your tyre that you are clearly aware of, as it is marked, is very dangerous because it means the structure is badly damaged. Please get it changed as a matter of urgency for the sake of the people who share a road with you.

I would hate to see someone report your car as an unsafe vehicle being used in the road to the authorities - a lot of hassle for the price of a tyre.

Fuck people who ignore obvious problems like that.

On 3/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, Talbot said:

...I'd be tempted to send a photo of the tyre, a photo of the car and the address (essentially all the info that is in this thread) and email it to the Police.  You've done your bit then, and it's up to them whether they take it any further.

If it's in the Met's area, nothing will happen. They're currently a bit busy trying to find out how many more neo-Nazi officers they've got.