Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Born in the USA, Living in Wales: We got us a misfire!

brownnova

On 3/21/2021 at 3:32 PM, quicksilver said:

That's ace and so different from Euro MPVs! Please bring to FOD so I can have a go. It looks almost identical to this one seen at a local show back in pre-Covid times, also UK reg from new so it looks like some enterprising soul was importing them back in the day.

K283 XOG - 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport 3800 GT

And this blue one was an unexpected on the road spot, another UK reg from new.

J797 LDL - 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport 3100 SE

I had the Majorette toy too in both red and black forms.

There must have been someone importing them, as I sometimes see a white one going around here...

16 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

To be fair, that took seconds, as Rock Auto is the easiest site to use of EVAH - it'll be your best friend for Pontiac bits. Do check what you can get for your other cars from them too as parts are ultra reasonable - I've had quite a few Honda bits off them for my Civics and Rovers in the past - including fuel relays and auto shifter cables that Rover bods in the UK think are NLA. 

Aye I’d been looking at Rock Auto for bits... just to gauge prices. This is my first order, and it’s on the way... be here Friday! 

They stock Yugo bits too! Which is a bonus! 

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

For those of you who have the song running through your head while reading this thread, it was Peter, Paul and Mary. I think I still have the original single my parents bought me, somewhere. Innocent days...

I’ve been singing it for several days now...  I’ll whip the guitar out soon and record my own version 🤣

Your MOT results are pretty darn good I'd say! What a refreshing change from the dull UK market MPVs too. I bet it sounds lovely - any videos of it running? 

I kept on looking at the front view and was trying to work out why it looked vaguely familiar. I reckon it's a cross between an Espero and an Aztec (but better looking 🤪)...

breaking-bad-walter-white-pontiac-aztek-05-1587100672.jpg

daewoo-espero-4-361966-6-4c49bea.jpg

A6C7166D-80A2-4F9B-9998-B0433FBF5321.thumb.jpeg.95efac5cf9c4b0a3c28068bee522fa2d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Your MOT results are pretty darn good I'd say! What a refreshing change from the dull UK market MPVs too. I bet it sounds lovely - any videos of it running? 

I kept on looking at the front view and was trying to work out why it looked vaguely familiar. I reckon it's a cross between an Espero and an Aztec (but better looking 🤪)...

breaking-bad-walter-white-pontiac-aztek-05-1587100672.jpg

daewoo-espero-4-361966-6-4c49bea.jpg

A6C7166D-80A2-4F9B-9998-B0433FBF5321.thumb.jpeg.95efac5cf9c4b0a3c28068bee522fa2d.jpeg

I can absolutely see what you mean about the Espero/Aztec mashup! 

No vids of it running yet... I’ve been toying with doing some videos of the fleet, I think it’s eclectic enough to generate a bit of interest. I do think this one needs to be heard... it’s a lovely burble! 

• brownnova changed the title to Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Welderup!

The track rod end did indeed arrive Thursday... 

9F3BA9FD-EBD5-466D-BBF8-A0DBEF596370.jpeg

Friday I was in work, but arrived home to find my garage door had been blocked in so I couldn’t get at my tools. 2C3B64E6-02D5-4C70-95D1-9FB534AE3E7F.jpeg
I thought I might be able to squeeze under the door, but no, and I was given instructions on how to move that pole. But the wind and rain have been so bad this weekend I daren’t destabilise the scaffolding even temporarily.

For the next three days I have window fitters here, so no room on the drive to do the job. 

So here’s hoping my local garage can squeeze a quick track rod end fitting in tomorrow, and maybe I can pop it down for retest tomorrow or Tuesday also... I want to start driving it again!!! 

• brownnova changed the title to Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Born in the USA, MoT’d in Wales.

751E217E-D58C-420A-B888-213201CB9E85.jpeg
Nice clean pass.... I even got a new tyre so there were no advisories! 

Whilst at the tyre place I got them to check the tracking as the garage had advised that it may be worth getting it checked. 
402D2A22-A670-44AD-A65A-6D5249CC2B7C.jpeg

And then to top it all off this lovely little standard 8 popped in to pump its tyres up, and I discovered that he was also the owner of a red 2CV I’ve seen around the locale! 
5319A81C-7CF4-4430-B56A-9C3AA34A9411.jpeg

2 hours ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

Good stuff, I hope it has working AC with such a large greenhouse.

This was put to the test today and........

Nope.... bloody boiling in there! 

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

How the hell have I only just seen this thread??  That is I think the first purchase on here that has actually made me laugh out loud - it's so hideous it's brilliant and I absolutely love it!

I’m glad you like it!  It was random purchases like this that got me into Autoshite in the first place, things you wouldn’t really see anywhere else. And I’m glad to now contribute to that side of AS! 

2 hours ago, spartacus said:

You've probably covered this elsewhere but does the mileometer really read in Kms?

Yeah, it has euro spec lights too, so I imagine it was imported from Europe first. But who knows... my plan is to write to two previous owners I have deets for and see if I can find anything out. 

5 hours ago, brownnova said:

751E217E-D58C-420A-B888-213201CB9E85.jpeg
Nice clean pass.... I even got a new tyre so there were no advisories! 

Whilst at the tyre place I got them to check the tracking as the garage had advised that it may be worth getting it checked. 
402D2A22-A670-44AD-A65A-6D5249CC2B7C.jpeg

Nice work, I'm looking forward to seeing in the metal!

Thought I’d jump on @brownnova’s (magic) wagon and include a bit from me about Bonk. 
Today was the first time I’d braved driving it and after moving the seat from somewhere near the boot to the actual front (he’s over 6ft, I’m 5ft 2) I also had to put a booster to put me just a bit higher in the seat 😂

I fear I looked more like a fighter pilot driving the thing but hey ho, we made it home all in one piece. I then had to navigate reversing to up the drive and plonking it next to the camper. A feat I can only compare with that poor fellow trying to turn that cargo ship in the Suez Canal. Unlike him, I managed it.  Not once did I see brownnova with his hand on the door catch ready to escape through the whole journey, which I’ll count as a win! 

Apart from the obvious butt clenching from driving a LHD on the wrong side and meeting lorries, busses etc it’s actually a lovely thing. It’s uglier than Quasimodo’s uglier brother but is bigger than our smallest bedroom and mega comfy. The whole experience is a bit bizarre given the hand/foot brake thing and having your passenger on your right hand side but I think Bonk the Magic Wagon will be with us for a bit!