Brownnova’s Trans experiment - Born in the USA, Living in Wales: We got us a misfire!

brownnova

So the minor elephant in the room with this car is that the MoT expires on Thursday... it appears as though it may have either come from a deceased estate or have been children clearing out their elderly dads things after he has given up driving rather than any obvious faults which would lead to massive MoT failure. Indeed a quick scout about has revealed nothing I’m concerned over. I think that I have some wiggle room money wise to still be above the cars value if it does need some repairs. But they are difficult to value in the UK as they so rarely come up for sale. 

So today’s jobs:

- give it a damn good clean (it’s grubby), 
- check over for any obvious MoT fails,
- book in for MoT,
- go for a drive. 

We also have no history with it, so I’m thinking I might write to the two visible owners on the old log book and see if they have anything. The owner before me had it since 1999! 

30 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

I believe they are.

nay- posherer than that

The Trans Sport, along with the Lumina APV and Silhouette, rode on the U-body platform and was constructed from a galvanized steel space frame, featuring dent and rust resistant polymer plastic body panels on the side and a galvanized steel roof.

Always thought the 1st gen U-Bodies looked ace. How they managed to screw it up so badly on the 2nd gen (aka Sintra) is beyond my knowledge

16 hours ago, brownnova said:

8E0721CB-06B2-4D3A-95FA-FEF7ABAA5EA4.jpeg

20210302_130938.thumb.jpg.e50390e904404a50e4528fb99db9c2fa.jpg

As you'd expect, the yank is a fair bit longer than the Espace.  Around 690mm.  Wider too, although similar in height.

Wins on the windscreen angle by the looks of it.  These two really do need to meet at some point! Probably more likely when the Espace is in Skizzer's possession.

3 hours ago, RobT said:

20210302_130938.thumb.jpg.e50390e904404a50e4528fb99db9c2fa.jpg

As you'd expect, the yank is a fair bit longer than the Espace.  Around 690mm.  Wider too, although similar in height.

Wins on the windscreen angle by the looks of it.  These two really do need to meet at some point! Probably more likely when the Espace is in Skizzer's possession.

But amazingly the dimensions of the Trans aren’t actually much bigger than Mrs_b’s modern C5... 

So my plan came to pass... here’s the verdict: 

A good clean has done it the world of good... 

E297782E-5D59-4C00-8819-7BC3BA684CC9.jpeg456C6FC6-C17F-4649-9210-0AABD215EB36.jpeg
England sticker removed from the front , but the touristy stickers on the back have a certain charm...

A good check over has not yielded anything I can see which would be an outright MoT fail. The inner sills need a wire brushing and treating, but they’re solid as far as I can see lay on my back. But everything appears to work as it should. Only minor matter for correction seems to be 

E97E0E14-058D-43BC-8785-5DBC08A2EB6A.jpeg

New mirror needed. But drivers side and central are there. I’ve bought repair bit from the local motor factor. 

On to the proper test run... 

A4B058B0-72CA-4869-ACB3-F70240A92751.jpeg

Off to the beach (staying local of course) it blended right in with the other car park dwellers... 

89FE2975-46FF-48EB-BF27-7EE7707506BC.jpeg
Did about 35 miles tripping around, and all was well. Goes well, gets a wiggle on if you put your foot down... only issue is that the Speedo under-reads. In suspected that yesterday, but stuck a gps Speedo one my phone today and confirmed it. I can cope with that.

I’m genuinely really impressed, it wears its 314,000 kms well (195,000 ish miles) and all works as it should.

Have some of my favourite features: 

Inlaid badging...

B1440423-9314-4996-A398-5F08A747654D.jpeg
Those wheels... 

972B7FFA-5526-4CE3-A12A-2F829B4751A4.jpeg

You’re not allowed to forget you’re in a Trans Sport...
C9520F64-5AD7-4792-97BF-63F793996248.jpeg

7AC2FF45-D186-4510-BA4B-1475D9B217F8.jpeg
Gorgeously retro switchgear 

DEFCE52E-353F-4761-8F6D-D0909AB1E71B.jpeg

Aaand finally a question...

C7855556-21AD-4D33-844A-698DD7FDEDB9.jpeg

Whats the little D inside an O about? It drives fine in either that one or normal D... can’t see any difference. Does anyone know? 

18 hours ago, brownnova said:

We have one rule in our relationship that I can buy whatever I like, as long as she can drive it... I fear this one may change that rule!

To be fair she was aware before I bid, and quite likes the inside... I think mainly because she doesn’t have to look at the outside and it has tinted windows so no one can see her in it... 😂

It’s true. Once inside Bonk the magic wagon, it’s great, but boy is it an ugly beast on the outside! The only fault I can see so far is that the seatbelts are way too short for a rear facing car seat for babybrownnova. I guess the real test will be when I drive it. 
Now, where’s @brownnova... I do believe he owes me a baby. 😂

21 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Um, the BIG question though is how has Mrs Bn reacted to this...or is she unaware until it lands?

I knew about it. It was difficult to miss @brownnova’s excited face as it popped up on EBay. I live safe in the knowledge that when he’s looking at his phone and has a pervy look on his face it’s never another woman. 🚗  I think my reaction was something like...‘you’ve basically bought a greenhouse on wheels.’ It’s all good. The one rule stands...if he buys it I must be allowed to drive it 😀

Well this is the most brilliantly bananas thing I've seen on here in a while. Fucking brilliant.

This'll have what 12 year-old me thought was the world's coolest HVAC fan control when I experienced it in a Lumina in Florida in 1993 — there's a button for up, another for down and four green LEDs for the amount of fan going on.

I'm deeply glad somebody bought this.

EDIT: Disappoingly, the '92 Trans Sport brochure isn't online, but the '94 facelifted version is quite thoroughly covered here

59 minutes ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I’d be happy to do any welding it might need but I am in Derby so not exactly handy for you.

Thanks for the offer! Hopefully none this year... but in the future when travel is allowed I might remember this offer should it need any!! 

I used to see a silver one back when I was a kid! 

And portugal is a pretty cumbersome country with american imports, so might have been EU spec